Friday = Deadline For Griese...... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Friday = Deadline For Griese......

I agreed with the first post, but then I seen Migs post and it kinda changed my mind...nice to hear both points, but I must add that IMO the later it gets, the less likely we should sign him....he shouldnt be worried about the money, he should be worried about coming in here ASAP and learning the system to show what he gots and right now Im not so sure hes wanting to do that.....if he shows hes worth more then what we're offering him, then with the way he plays the money should take care of itself.....bottom line IMO, dont give him an ultamatuim but dont beg him anymore either, stand by a certain contract that benefits us and thats it, stop negotiating..... if he decides to take it later, then thats up to him, but leave that door of oppurtunity open....just my 2 Cents.

Yope ! THe later griese signs, the later he starts learning the system, and smaller are the chances for him to be starter ! :cry: :yell:

Originally posted by BLITZKRIEG
I think it's time to give Griese and his agent a final ultimatum....

Either sign the current contract offer by Friday evening, or the deal is off!!!......

We're not desperate for Griese, and if these current distractions continue, he'll only be hurting himself, and the Phinz....

I know these topics are getting out of hand, but this needs to be discussed....He needs to be given a final ultimatum once and for all....

PHINZ RULE!!!!

:fire:

An ultimatum?? Surely you jest! It's our own FO that's screwing this deal up. Griese and his agent were looking for something like a $4-5 million bonus if Griese plays 60% of the snaps, leads the Dolphins to the Superbowl, and gets the Superbowl MVP. Not unreasonable by any means... but this is all for a backup? a little strange isn't it?

Oh, and the Dolphins want to give a max of $1 mil...

So if there is an ultimatum given, it should be griese giving us one to get it straightened out.

:sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

The agent is acting like Griese is this huge superstar that doesn't have to prove himself. When in fact, Griese is a fallen superstar that needs to work his way back to the top.

He had a starting job, huge paycheck and he lost it.

Precisely and one thing to note is the comparison between Griese's and Fiedler's contract. The way Cindrich is trying to set it up, the only thing that would keep Griese's contract from skyrocketing above Fiedler's is the fact that the coaches won't let Griese start.

Sorry but thats not a backup quarterback's contract. Backup quarterbacks get paid X amount of money to be there in case the starter goes down with injury or by some chance for some odd reason can't carry out the offense. Its not like when we bought Jay Fiedler to come in here and compete with Damon Huard. That would likely be (and I believe was) an incentive-laden contract, where the only difference between Huard's and Fiedler's contract surely WOULD be in that case which guy won the start.

But in this case, to avoid player confusion and media controversy, it is very important for the front office to send a message with this contract that Jay Fiedler is the starter and Brian Griese is the backup and nothing short of injury will change that short of extenuating circumstances (like when Warner couldn't carry out the St Louis offense for some unknown reason and it was obvious Bulger could). I think the problem with these negotiations are that this is REALLY where Griese wants to be...permanently. And the contract Cindrich is trying to negotiate would reflect Griese's desire to be seen as the guy who is coming in to push Jay Fiedler and maybe take the starting role from him so that he can make a home in Miami, the team he grew up cheering, for good.

BTW I really like Sage Rosenfels as much as the next guy absolutely, however I still think the problem with him being primary backup is timing. We won't have a good idea of whether or not he can carry out this offense until training camp and preseason (at least, we'll know about as much as we CAN know about him after TC and PS) but by that time its too late to grab ourselves a guy with starting experience whom we know can fill that role. So by going into TC with Sage as primary backup, we're basically tossing the dice and gambling that he's gonna look good enough in TC and PS to have our confidence taking over for Jay should he need to...cuz right now we dont know that. He hasn't gotten the opportunity to show anything to us cuz he had no TC last year or even preseason with us, he just ran the scout team last year and never got his chance to really learn or practice the offense because during the season you need to have your starter taking all the practice snaps to make sure you're ready with the game plan that week. Sage just got to run the scout team and do his best impressions of Drew Bledsoe, Brian Griese, Daunte Culpepper, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, etc whichever QB we were playing that week.

What we know about Sage at this point vs what we knew when we brought him in here, is relatively not much more. This TC and PS really are going to write the book on Sage and his future in a Miami uniform...not just his future as a Pro QB.

Back
Top Bottom