Future Franchise Options : | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Future Franchise Options :

Which option is most attractive....?

• Sacraficing Next years First for Henson now?

Votes: 18 20.7%
  • Sacraficing one of this years first for Henson (assuming we get another for O-Gun)?

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Taking Rivers with the #20 ?

Votes: 43 49.4%
  • Taking Losman with the #20 ?

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Trading up for Big Ben ?

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Trading up for Eli ?

Votes: 11 12.6%
  • Spending a lesser pick via free agency on a young prospect, Voleck, Feely, Ect.

Votes: 4 4.6%
  • Trading down to acquire more picks and hoping to land Pickett, Navvar, Ect.

Votes: 2 2.3%

• Total voters
Originally posted by DrAstroZoom
Here's the deal, though ... precedent is against a team starting a rookie if they want to reach the playoffs. The last to do it was Dan Marino in 1983, and he didn't start until the third or fourth game that season.

The Dolphins reached the playoffs that year, but lost to the Seahawks. Which means Dan's first and last playoff game was vs. Seattle. Odd bit o' trivia.

Not to mention win a SB, which is what we plan on doing next season, right?

Geez, why are people finding it hard to understand that we can't win a SB with a rookie at QB ?

Originally posted by Pigskin Pimp

Not to mention win a SB, which is what we plan on doing next season, right?

Geez, why are people finding it hard to understand that we can't win a SB with a rookie at QB ?

Geez, why are people finding it hard to understand that we can't win a SB with Wannstedt as a HC ? :lol: :lol:

Originally posted by DeDolfan

Geez, why are people finding it hard to understand that we can't win a SB with Wannstedt as a HC ? :lol: :lol:

Not to defend Wanny, but who would you have brought in?

The organization brought JJ in because of his record/rep (proven winner and SB champ HC) and you saw where that got us.

Last few years' SBs have been won by HCs who'd never won a SB. Getting the right HC is as much of a crap shoot as the draft.

As fans, we're kinda in a bind. Wanny's GOING TO be here this year at least, and if they make the playoffs, maybe another year or two. I have a few HCs in mind I'd like to see rather than Dave, but SOMEBODY sees something in this guy. So do we hope for a crappy season and the exit of Wanny? I personally don't. I'd prefer we make the playoffs and win one or two. To hell with going for better draft picks and a fired HC. With the new changes in the offensive coaching, I'm expecting some nice changes further on in the off-season and a good year next year.

More than I can say for what I expected before last season started.

I voted for Rivers at 20. That no what I'd do though, my choice at 20 is a WR. QB and OL should be addressed via free agency first than with picks like Navare (sp) later on.

Originally posted by Graythreat

i think what he's saying is we need to get a cursty old vet QB in here NOW. That way when he reitres in 2-3 years we're caught without a QB...AGAIN.

These fans of ALL fans should realize the importance of looking to the future, especially in the QB position. We SHOULD havedrafted a rookie QB first round 2 years before marino left. We're paying for it now,and it needs to be fixed. If you think ignoring the problem and patching the leak up with duct tape is the answer, you have serious issues.

Anyway. I want rivers at #20. But what if we miss him? Henson?

I'd feel better trading up for Eli. If we miss him, then we trade down for more picks, yet stay high enough for Rivers. But that's a lot of movement, and a lot could go wrong.

I can agree with this in part but one thing Dolphin fans need to realize is that the next month and a half will dictate what direction the f-o will take in the draft ......

I also think that S Rosenfels should be given a credible opportunity to become the Phins starting qb ....

Marino1983

Originally posted by NavyFishFan

Not to defend Wanny, but who would you have brought in?

The organization brought JJ in because of his record/rep (proven winner and SB champ HC) and you saw where that got us.

Last few years' SBs have been won by HCs who'd never won a SB. Getting the right HC is as much of a crap shoot as the draft.

As fans, we're kinda in a bind. Wanny's GOING TO be here this year at least, and if they make the playoffs, maybe another year or two. I have a few HCs in mind I'd like to see rather than Dave, but SOMEBODY sees something in this guy. So do we hope for a crappy season and the exit of Wanny? I personally don't. I'd prefer we make the playoffs and win one or two. To hell with going for better draft picks and a fired HC. With the new changes in the offensive coaching, I'm expecting some nice changes further on in the off-season and a good year next year.

More than I can say for what I expected before last season started.

Just about anybody else, if you want to know the truth. Question is tho is what has Wanny done to really keep his job? But pls don't quote his record here cuz this team has been moving backwards since he's been here. Yes, another coach is a crap shoot as is the draft. But we know what wanny brings us [nothing, basically] as did Fiedler. We knew what he brought and alot of folx wanted to see what Griese could offer. neither was capable of getting us where we wanted to go and both are likely to be gone. same with wanny, only he's still here, for now. all the new changes so far are nice and only raises more false optimism since we still have Wanny calling the shots. He can not motivate/prepare these guys on game day. They play like a champion one week and look like hell the next. Wanny does/can not instill enough consistency in this team. remember Bum Phillips' old adage about Shula? "He can take his'n and beat yourn and then take yourn and beat his'n" ! There was alot of truth in that and works for wannstedt as well, except the other way. So what happens next year if we go 11-5 and out of the playoffs a week sooner than this year? Everybody'll say how good we were to win 11 games! IMO, that's not good enough. We've been "good" for many years and I for one am tired of being just "good". I'd like to try and be better than just that. wannstedt will not allow it.

It seems to me that the only people who question PR are people who haven't seen him play much. I can understand that. As good as he was from day one in college, it took me 2 1/2 years to accept the reality that this kid with the funny throwing motion has greatness written all over him. IMHO, the little hitch in his motion amazingly seems to help him complete a few key extra balls, rather than the obvious conclusion that he'd have a few extra batted down. All QBs have a few batted down, even in college. I've not seen PR have any more batted down than usual (probably much less than usual actually). What I have seen is that when he really has to make a play, often in the grasp of a would-be sacker, that funny little (quick) release saves his bacon time after time. A QB with a "normal" motion is often doomed in those situations as he can't get off the acrobatic throw. I've seen PR make more amazing unorthodox completions than any QB I can remember. He's even completed a few with his opposite hand...whatever it takes.

IMO, the difference between the great QBs and the rest has little to do with arm strength, speed, height, etc. The difference between the best and the rest is in the ability to "see" what is happening on the field in real-time. Very few QBs can manage a game like another coach on the field. Very few QBs can hit their 4th option when the first 3 are covered. Very few know what every player on the field should be doing, and can recognize immediately when a defender makes a mistake (and capitalize on that mistake). Philip Rivers can do it all. Ask anyone who has seen him play more than 10 times. Bowden said he's the best he has ever seen. When you see him play a few times, you think he's a heck of a college QB, but still the doubts linger. When you see him do the same thing each and every game for 52 games, you quit thinking about his motion, and just kick back and enjoy.

One thing I can promise you....If Miami is fortunate enough to get this kid, there won't be any "who should be our QB" threads around here again for years to come. I know you'd all like that!

Originally posted by angryphin
I voted for Rivers at 20. That no what I'd do though, my choice at 20 is a WR. QB and OL should be addressed via free agency first than with picks like Navare (sp) later on.

The biggest reason why most [or alot anyway] say Rivers at 20 is because we need a QB of the future somehow. Addressing QB in FA will not get us our future guy, just anoth stop gap guy for a yr or so while a rook learns etc.

Originally posted by DeDolfan

The biggest reason why most [or alot anyway] say Rivers at 20 is because we need a QB of the future somehow. Addressing QB in FA will not get us our future guy, just anoth stop gap guy for a yr or so while a rook learns etc.

I agree. I'd like to have a rookie looking over a vets shoulder and learning something so that he can take the reigns in a year or two but we don't even have that. As disappointed as I was with the QB play, I was equally bothered by the O line and the wideouts. IMO at 20 we can get a compliment to Chambers and address back up QB via the draft or at a later time. That's if we full court press Brunell and land a couple of quality O lineman in free agency. As a franchise we've done the poorest at drafting and retaining any QB of quality. Forget that ,we plain stink at it. Hopefully Marino, Trestman and Co can change that in the coming years. Who knows..a Ricky Ray could pan out.

Originally posted by angryphin

I agree. I'd like to have a rookie looking over a vets shoulder and learning something so that he can take the reigns in a year or two but we don't even have that. As disappointed as I was with the QB play, I was equally bothered by the O line and the wideouts. IMO at 20 we can get a compliment to Chambers and address back up QB via the draft or at a later time. That's if we full court press Brunell and land a couple of quality O lineman in free agency. As a franchise we've done the poorest at drafting and retaining any QB of quality. Forget that ,we plain stink at it. Hopefully Marino, Trestman and Co can change that in the coming years. Who knows..a Ricky Ray could pan out.

Right now, our most pressing needs in order, IMO, are QB, OL, WR. The QB being one for the future and depending on what is picked up in fA will dictate what we go with 1st in the draft.

Back
Top Bottom