Future Franchise Options : | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Future Franchise Options :

Which option is most attractive....?

• Sacraficing Next years First for Henson now?

Votes: 18 20.7%
  • Sacraficing one of this years first for Henson (assuming we get another for O-Gun)?

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Taking Rivers with the #20 ?

Votes: 43 49.4%
  • Taking Losman with the #20 ?

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Trading up for Big Ben ?

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Trading up for Eli ?

Votes: 11 12.6%
  • Spending a lesser pick via free agency on a young prospect, Voleck, Feely, Ect.

Votes: 4 4.6%
  • Trading down to acquire more picks and hoping to land Pickett, Navvar, Ect.

Votes: 2 2.3%

• Total voters
Originally posted by phunwin
I say swap the 2005 #1 for Henson, and sign Brunell to a 2 year deal while Henson shakes off some rust. Is that a pipe dream? Yeah, probably.

Not a pipe dream as long as Brunell doesn't expect the kinda money he USED to earn and the Yankoffs let Henson out of his contract soon. And the biggest hang up...Houston signing him.

I'd like to see it and I think its doable. I'd rather see us trade Ogun to them for Henson and a 3rd round pick. Then, if Clayton's available at #20, get him, if not, trade down a few spots and nab a 2nd round pick in the process, then STILL be able to get a solid WR with the 2nd round pick....and then have 2 3rd rounders to play with.....1 OL and 1 Defensive player.

I see this as being our best shot at getting young on O and still having enough picks later in the draft to deepen the bench on D.

Originally posted by Mondo_Man
Rookie QB to start can not be the answer, only Marino has been successful and let me tell ya, none of these guys is the next Danny. If we take Rivers, hopefully we will have a legitimate veteran to start all year. Take a look at Cincinnati, the top pick in the draft they take a qb and sits on the bench all year. We can all agree that none of the qb's this year are rated as high as last years top pick.

I'm hearing that a lot lately... the notion that if we draft Rivers we HAVE to have a veteran to start for one year. This just is not true. There are lots of Rookie QB's that start and, while they may not be pro bowlers in their 1st year, they definately can hold down the fort. David Carr, Byron Leftwich, Kyle Boller, Joey Harrington, Patrick Ramsey looked okay to me in his first few starts, and even Rex Grossman did good when he started the Bears' last few games. I know it's not the ideal situation, but it's not inconceivable for us to draft Rivers and have him start. He's definately smart enough, i think, to handle most NFL defenses. IMO, out of Manning, Rivers and Roethlisburger, Rivers is the most ready to play in the NFL. Manning is great but i honestly think that so much of his stock is based on his name alone.

Here's the deal, though ... precedent is against a team starting a rookie if they want to reach the playoffs. The last to do it was Dan Marino in 1983, and he didn't start until the third or fourth game that season.

The Dolphins reached the playoffs that year, but lost to the Seahawks. Which means Dan's first and last playoff game was vs. Seattle. Odd bit o' trivia.

Originally posted by DrAstroZoom
The Dolphins reached the playoffs that year, but lost to the Seahawks. Which means Dan's first and last playoff game was vs. Seattle. Odd bit o' trivia.

Should have saved that for the trivia board. :)

Originally posted by DrAstroZoom
Here's the deal, though ... precedent is against a team starting a rookie if they want to reach the playoffs. The last to do it was Dan Marino in 1983, and he didn't start until the third or fourth game that season.

Dan's last playoff game was against the Jaguars.

Is it possible for Henson to not sign with Houston & just re-enter the draft? I rem hearing this from ESPN a while back.

Yankees are better off negotiating a buy-out on Henson contract. Saves them $ in the long run for a guy who can't hit.

yankees arent even considering him as an option from what ive heard, hes been working out for football and yes he can re-enter the draft if he so chooses. The downside being he won't have a choice where he goes, this way he can have a choice, at least between six or so teams, most of which are competitive. Either way, he'll get his money

the hype on Rivers is just that...hype. We need immediate help, this team is on the doorstep now.

nope the kid is not hype... i seen him spank the FSU defense for 4 yrs..

this year FSU had a a really goo ddefence that didnt give up much points or yrdage.... until they played NCstate and Mr. Rivers

the hype on Rivers is just that...hype. We need immediate help, this team is on the doorstep now.

You think Rivers is all Hype I seen this guy play for four years he was nothing short of awesome he proved himself

If anybody is hyped it is Henson he played one year an he is the best QB ever I don't think so he is good but not that good.

Immidiate help you think Henson is going to jump right in an start while the other drafted QB's that have played in the last couple of month's are going to wait. I believe if Henson can learn immidiately Rivers Ben or Eli can too.

Rivers hyped I take it that you have never seen him play. History will tell you different. Watch some of his games he is a top 15 qb in college in the last 10 years in my opinion.

Hyped is when you don't play much have two or three good games an people think you are the best when you have'nt prove crap.

Im the guy who picked TRADE DOWN.i think it would be great to get Rivers,or Big Ben,or even Eli,but i dont think it will happen.In order for that to happen,i think we will most likely will have to trade up to get any of the 3,and as everyone knows we would be shooting ourselves in the foot to do that when we already have limited picks in the draft as is.This is one of the deepest drafts in a long time,and if we could get a few more picks,we could not only fill needs that we have now,but we could also fill needs for the future.Im hopeing we get a mid round pick for Ogun,then we could possible still get Rivers,and trade down from 20 a few times,and aquire a couple of extra picks to get 2-OL,2-WR.2-DL,1-S,1-LB.

Originally posted by phunwin
I say swap the 2005 #1 for Henson, and sign Brunell to a 2 year deal while Henson shakes off some rust. Is that a pipe dream? Yeah, probably.

why would it be a pipe dream thats exactly what there talking about doing

Originally posted by lynchmobb34
Im the guy who picked TRADE DOWN.i think it would be great to get Rivers,or Big Ben,or even Eli,but i dont think it will happen.In order for that to happen,i think we will most likely will have to trade up to get any of the 3,and as everyone knows we would be shooting ourselves in the foot to do that when we already have limited picks in the draft as is.This is one of the deepest drafts in a long time,and if we could get a few more picks,we could not only fill needs that we have now,but we could also fill needs for the future.Im hopeing we get a mid round pick for Ogun,then we could possible still get Rivers,and trade down from 20 a few times,and aquire a couple of extra picks to get 2-OL,2-WR.2-DL,1-S,1-LB.

It's very plausible that we'll end up with 2 firsts this year. That's a better than average year, wtih 2 firsts but no second. That's contingent on O-gun being signed away though.

Originally posted by NavyFishFan
If the goal is Henson...............

Depends on what your outlook on next season is. If you think Miami's gonna make the playoffs and win a game or two, best bet imo is Henson, as we'll only be giving up a #25 or so pick and we'll still have the #20 this year, plus any extras from the possible Ogun situation.

I think if we get Brunell, an OL guy or two, we'll make and do fine in the post-season next year. I prefer the above situation. (Didn't mention WR because I'm expecting a good WR in the draft after Ogun's deal is set).

Will all depend on FA imo.

Don't forget that Henson has not played in over two years making him, IMO, a less likely candidate to take us deep into the playoffs next yr.
Pls explain this #25 pick you speak of. I assume you're speaking of an Ogun deal but you already mentioned the extras from him.

he said #25 because wed be giving up next years first rounder for hensen, so if we make it to the playoffs then 25-32 would be the pick that we would give up depending on how deep we go

Back
Top Bottom