Gase Had Tannehill Playing Like A "monster" Before His Injury Per Darlington | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Gase Had Tannehill Playing Like A "monster" Before His Injury Per Darlington

Here’s an oldie but a goodie. Now as this is from 2014 it will be easy to pick apart. But I’m pretty sure you will pick it apart regardless.

http://grantland.com/features/the-question-of-ryan-tannehill/

Not a bad article on a second year QB.

Like many young quarterbacks, he’s inconsistent from week to week in terms of how he reads the field and the mistakes he makes in doing so, although the extremes with Tannehill seem to be a little higher than they are with, say, a Russell Wilson.

More than anything else, it was Tannehill’s head that had to make the biggest leap coming from Texas A&M to the pros. That’s not because Tannehill’s an unintelligent person — he carried a 3.6 GPA in biology through his first three years at Texas A&M — but because he was such an inexperienced quarterback.

That likely owes something to Tannehill being stuck behind the league’s worst offensive line last season, as he was sacked a league-high 58 times and knocked down, per the newly released Football Outsiders Almanac 2014, 101 times.

With a better line, maybe Tannehill gets more time at the end of his drop to cycle through his options and make a safe throw, but he obviously didn’t have that going for him with Miami last season.

That is your scathing indictment? "Like many young QBs" "seem to be a little higher than Russell Wilson"? Tannehill was playing with limited experience behind a crappy OL with terrible coaching (Sherman was just fired), and no running game.

And, you have to go back to the 2013 season to find it? Ha, ha, ha.....

Thank you for confirming what I suspected. Most of the criticism of Tannehill are regurgitations of OLD criticisms that no longer apply.

Got anything else?

Last edited:
Not a bad article on a second year QB.

That is your scathing indictment? "Like many young QBs" "seem to be a little higher than Russell Wilson"? Tannehill was playing with limited experience behind a crappy OL with terrible coaching (Sherman was just fired), and no running game.

Thank you for confirming what I suspected. Most of the criticism of Tannehill are regurgitations of OLD criticisms that no longer apply.

Got anything else?
I was a little embarrassed for him after seeing that post.

Got anything else?[/QUOTE]
Recent criticisms of RT on the Internet? He will not have played a game in nearly two years when he suits up week 1. Any scathing articles of RT will be at least two years old at this point.

The article is old but conveys some of the same traits we see from him.

I’m not sure why we need to line up more and more articles from experts when we have his body of work and our own eyes.

Got anything else?
Recent criticisms of RT on the Internet? He will not have played a game in nearly two years when he suits up week 1. Any scathing articles of RT will be at least two years old at this point.

I’m not sure why we need to line up more and more articles from experts when we have his body of work and our own eyes.

Obviously bc we cant agree what that body of work amounts to. You keep harping on the injury as a MAJOR concern, when it's literally an after thought to most everyone else.

Obviously bc we cant agree what that body of work amounts to. You keep harping on the injury as a MAJOR concern, when it's literally an after thought to most everyone else.
Coming off injury is more of a concern than if he had finished 2016 and played all of 2017, correct? I’m glad it’s an afterthought for everyone involved however. Im ecstatic that there is zero doubt in this offense and RT having a monster year.

I really wouldn't call a sports journalist an expert.
Nobody would. But apparently if we align writers in each corner of the argument it will help justify our arguments.

May as well use average Fantasy Football draft position.

giphy.gif

"Like

Bill Barnwell. An expert. An arrogant hack you mean.

I actually like Gase a lot and agree we need to look for stability, but he and the FO are giving themselves very little wiggle room should things not work out for whatever reason next year with Tannehill. If we don't make the playoffs next year all of their jobs are in jeopardy.

In Kdawg's scenario of us missing out but Tannehill showing signs, it'll still be a surprise if at least one of those three elements is not gone, outside of our lame duck GM, Gase is the easiest to remove from the equation. Even in that scenario, we absolutely need to be drafting a QB high in the draft. Right now we have zero succession planning, and a lot of 30 somethings, this team is built around short term success, and personally I don't have too much confidence that they've done a good job in that.

But everyone should be sitting back and letting it play out before climbing to the top of the rafters or jumping overboard as like bignastyfish said earlier there's a lot of time to go before we'll see if action mimics the words that are coming out.
Maybe we have zero succession planning currently at the QB spot, but I can't agree that that's the case at other positions, nor that the team is set up for short term success.

RB? Starter is young, and we just drafted young guy.
WR? Mostly young guys in that room.
TE - two draftees.
Both tackles are young / relatively young.
RG is young.
LG & Center are old.

DTs - we've a couple of young guys there.
DE - Drafted one last year, though could do with doing so again maybe.
LBs - pretty young room.
CBs - again, a pretty young room.

Team is built for short term success, but with young players with years ahead of them (should they remain productive and injury free), so the long term planning is definitely there too.

Regarding the QB position ... I did hope they'd draft a mid round QB if they liked one, but they obviously didn't, so I'm not too disappointed that they held off. Have to trust they'll get it right ... for once. I'm quite hopeful that RT17 comes back playing relatively well. I don't think he'll be elite, but I think he will hopefully be good. Fingers crossed anyway! Then draft a QB next year.

Well, you should provide something because so far it's nada.
Apparently you have forgotten all of RTs inconsistencies and crap performances, some of which are ON HIM. Good for you, but the rest of us have not.

Apparently you have forgotten all of RTs inconsistencies and crap performances, some of which are ON HIM. Good for you, but the rest of us have not.

...and some of "the rest of us" will judge him based on those and those alone.

Back
Top Bottom