Gase Had Tannehill Playing Like A "monster" Before His Injury Per Darlington | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Gase Had Tannehill Playing Like A "monster" Before His Injury Per Darlington

Possible that lost and confused look was due to Landry going off script and making up his own plays...

Dolphins offense looks darn good on paper, offense also looks deep to.
Defense looks like they robbed Peter to pay Paul, where's the DT that's going to at least give us an average D-line and give the young DT a chance. That's the only real concern I have going into the season. I do realize we have very good array of DE's

Last we seen of Tannehill he was playing good, an off season watching may even help, could see some things in a different light. Could be playing better than he ever has, but of course with the good there could be some linebacker who could get lucky and put his helmet right on that surgically repaired knee.

If Tannehill continues to plays where he left off before his injury then obviously he's our guy. But if he regresses and goes back to his inconsistent self or re injures his knee, then Gase needs to step out of his comfort zone with the QBs he's familiar and find his own guy. We have had 3 different QBs who were coached previously by Gase on different teams (Cutler,Fales and now Osweiler) I want to see Gase prove he isn't afraid to step outside his comfort zone if Tannehill isnt the guy and draft his own guy.

Great post. It is in fact polarizing. Both sides of the debate do agree on one thing. We all want the Fins to do well.

Agree on the Chargers game and throw by RT. There is no doubt he has talent, is tough and resilient, and makes some plays especially on the run. He also looks lost at times, locks on guys, seems to have poor pocket awareness, and struggles in leading this offense to consistent points.

I had my doubts pre injury, and have more now. I really hope he comes back strong. Again this is go time for him, the offense and Gase.
Um, how?!?

He's done literally nothing since his injury to give you more doubts.

Yeah watched it. Still a bit surprised a coach would reference having his player playing like a monster in practice.

I think it’s reasonable for a coach, especially a QB guru like Gase with his own offense, watch a guy grow with familiarity from one year to the next and see just how far he has come with his decision making and reads.

Obviously you cannot simulate Sunday’s in camp but he knows if Ryan his playing at a high level from other aspects of the game.

And honestly, this type of commentary from Darlington is a reason why some coaches don’t talk. Jeff was probably hanging out with Gase from the NFL network and Gase is very animated and player friendly and lets face it . . . He is ****y, and probably commented out loud and Darlington is sharing those thoughts when it was just Gase being Gase.

But like you, I think it’s ultimately about what happens on Sunday but it certainly is better to hear the good then hearing about any struggles that could be happening.

Qg4S.gif

Tannehill had good games vs the Rams (4th quarter anyways) and the 49ers too. I think he threw for three scores against SF. And he was lighting up AZ pretty good before he went down.

That Rams game was awful. 34 passing attempts with an over 70% completion rate to average 5.0 YPA is just bad offense (and before those two drives in the 4th quarter Ryan was having his worst game of the season) I remember Gase in the post game interview had no clue how we came back because of how bad we were on offense.

But the last part of the 4th quarter is what many wanted to see from the Fins offense and Ryan Tannehill in general. Efficiency, a comeback where killer instinct was shown and red zone touchdowns. It completely wiped away any negatives because the positive was so grand.

49ers game was solid, the predictable defense of ours almost gave it away. I like to throw away the Ravens game because there is no need to over analyze a “team clunker” . . . They have our number. He was certainly playing well in a wet game vs. Arizona before going down.

It just sucks that we didn’t get to see him @NYJ and @Buffalo in December, plus the Pitt playoff game. I mean he could of fallen flat . . . .but he also could of taken it to another level and gotten us our first playoff win in 15 years.

That Rams game was awful. 34 passing attempts with an over 70% completion rate to average 5.0 YPA is just bad offense (and before those two drives in the 4th quarter Ryan was having his worst game of the season) I remember Gase in the post game interview had no clue how we came back because of how bad we were on offense.

But the last part of the 4th quarter is what many wanted to see from the Fins offense and Ryan Tannehill in general. Efficiency, a comeback where killer instinct was shown and red zone touchdowns. It completely wiped away any negatives because the positive was so grand.

Here is my problem with that, and similar games. Take Brady, Rodgers, any 'top QB.' They have 'bad games' until the last quarter and play "grand" in the 4th. That's what 'top QBs' do. They overcome their bad play. Ummm, unless it's NOT a 'top' QB, like Tannehill. Then the focus is on the 1st 3 quarters. No, I'm not going to argue Tannehill is a 'top' QB. I'm not going to say he played "like a monster" his last few games. That sounds a little excessive. He DID play better overall. Picking one game as 'proof' of bad play is essentially admitting the others displayed good play. I expect Tannehill to play in '18 as he did late in '17, but I worry about September.

Here is my problem with that, and similar games. Take Brady, Rodgers, any 'top QB.' They have 'bad games' until the last quarter and play "grand" in the 4th. That's what 'top QBs' do. They overcome their bad play. Ummm, unless it's NOT a 'top' QB, like Tannehill. Then the focus is on the 1st 3 quarters. No, I'm not going to argue Tannehill is a 'top' QB. I'm not going to say he played "like a monster" his last few games. That sounds a little excessive. He DID play better overall. Picking one game as 'proof' of bad play is essentially admitting the others displayed good play. I expect Tannehill to play in '18 as he did late in '17, but I worry about September.

Oh no question. That is what I was getting at. You can have a crap 3 quarter but if you ball when it counts and get the W . . . .the bad play becomes irrelevant. That is why 4th quarter comebacks is such an often utilized stat.

Hell we have seen Luck completely **** the bed in the first half of a playoff game and then become a machine in the 2nd half to carry his team . . . .there is no tangible stat that can put that into perspective . . . It’s why many don’t compare Luck vs. Tannehill coming back from injury, people don’t look at them the same because Ryan does not have those Luck moments on the stage Luck has been on.

Now that isn’t close to being all Ryan’s fault, but people will revert back to 2013 to emphasize the point.

Ultimately Ryan will have to be in those moments . . . Sooner than later will be preferred.

The “monster” talk refers to 2017 early in camp where Gase was witnessing Ryan in the second year of his offense taking all lunch money, where year one everybody was learning the offense.

Last edited:
Oh no question. That is what I was getting at. You can have a crap 3 quarter but if you ball when it counts and get the W . . . .the bad play becomes irrelevant. That is why 4th quarter comebacks is such an often utilized stat.

Hell we have seen Luck completely **** the bed in the first half of a playoff game and then become a machine in the 2nd half to carry his team . . . .there is no tangible stat that can put that into perspective . . . It’s why many don’t compare Luck vs. Tannehill coming back from injury, people don’t look at them the same because Ryan does not have those Luck moments on the stage Luck has been on.

Now that isn’t close to being all Ryan’s fault, but people will revert back to 2013 to emphasize the point.

Ultimately Ryan will have to be in those moments . . . Sooner than later will be preferred.

Didn't mean to imply I was disagreeing. I was emphasizing your point.

Luck has one more 4th quarter comeback than Tannehill (13 vs 12), in 5 years. Russell Wilson has 3 more despite (I suspect) being kept closer in games by his defense and having a defense less likely to barf back the lead.

Jay Cutler has more than twice as many as Aaron Rodgers (23 vs 11).

Luck has one more 4th quarter comeback than Tannehill (13 vs 12), in 5 years. Russell Wilson has 3 more despite (I suspect) being kept closer in games by his defense and having a defense less likely to barf back the lead.

Jay Cutler has more than twice as many as Aaron Rodgers (23 vs 11).

Here are the active QBs with more than 10 4QCs sorted by the average number per season:

upload_2018-5-29_12-6-16.png

Here is the source:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/comebacks_active.htm

I really can't wait for this season to start (with a healthy Tannehill) so he can make all his doubters STFU & eat some crow!

So right! He has proven so much already on the field!

But if he hiccups it will certainly NOT be his fault. It will be the OL and/or Gase or maybe lunar cycles!

Let's just SEE what happens before we anoint him (or throw him under the tractor)!

Considering the progression we saw in 2016 (especially after THE OFFENSE learned Gase's system) and through games 6-13 (last 8 games) he put up something over a 100+ QB rating, I hear "monster"....I say "why not?" He ended up having to sit the rest of the season but what he was inferring from Gase is that Tannehill turned a corner with knowledge of the system, directing the offense, etc.

But then again, I'm not in the QBWINZ club. I think the entire team needs to play well to win.

I also have no issue with high expectations for him and the offense this year. I fully expect it.

So right! He has proven so much already on the field!

But if he hiccups it will certainly NOT be his fault. It will be the OL and/or Gase or maybe lunar cycles!

Let's just SEE what happens before we anoint him (or throw him under the tractor)!

Could not agree more, let's see what we have, this is make or break season for him, Gase and the FO. If we make the playoffs, we may have a coach/QB combo on our hands that can take us places if not let's move on and stop finding reasons why it's not worked out. Gase is certainly hitching himself to the Tannehill wagon, he's a smart guy so that's a good sign because he surely will know that if it doesn't work out he's likely gone too next year.

Back
Top Bottom