Gase is tooling "his" offense

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by cafinfan408, Mar 13, 2018.

1. cafinfan408

cafinfan408 Punching Bag

I like most others would love to have Landry for the next 4 years, however it's clear he was not doing everything asked of him. Add in bonehead flags and cheap hits that ended another players opportunity to play the game and you end up not wanting to pay top dollar. Its obvious Gase wants smarter players who can do everything in the playbook. Hopefully the ball gets spread out a bit more.. we have 2 WRs in Wilson and Stills who give us vertical push out of the slot and you have Danny who can read coverage while running his route and always get to the open spot.. Tannhill will get comfortable with him very quick. Still need an answer at TE but I expect a lower draft pick to go there as well.

*Demi*God*, fininpsl and TannDaMan17 like this.
  2. zucca

zucca Well-Known Member

A lot of bashing of TBaum, and again, I'm not defending him at all because we all know he's made monster mistakes. However, this is Gase making these decisions. It's getting pretty obvious if you connect the dots.

3. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin There's one, set for stun Moderator Finheaven VIP

Hopefully he will get "his" offense before the decade is up.

4. DolfanISS

DolfanISS Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP

Thank You. Gase loyalists are always going to blame T-Baum. I mentioned in another post that from watching Hard Knocks with the Jets T-Baum works closely with his HC to get him HIS players. Another poster pointed out to me that the jets team went 5-11. My point was not Mike T. is great. It was he works with his head coach and lets them pull the strings on the players that want. He may screw up the contracts but the adds and cuts are Adam's.

Spiff and Yessir like this.
  5. zucca

zucca Well-Known Member

Actually in the early days of the salary cap, Mr. T as he was called by Fransesca was a cap "guru". That reputation got him this job. He was always a numbers guy. Since back then, others have passed him by including I think Dawn Aponte. But for some reason the reputation still follows him. But you're right, he really isn't and never was a football guy.

6. ForksPhin

ForksPhin Scout Team

I thought this thread was about Gase being a tool.

Oh well.

Third Eye, vere76 and SCOTTY like this.
  7. fansinceGWilson

fansinceGWilson FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I've been arguing that for a while, but some with an agenda blame TBaum for EVERYTHING. Abysmal at contracts and negotiations, but he doesn't 'pick the groceries.' That said, I'm a little confused why Miami would want Wilson AND Amendola. OTOH, Stills, Grant, and Wilson on the field together should be fun to watch.

8. Csonked Out

Csonked Out FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

his offense appears to be what new England is doing currently

*Demi*God* and Anvil35 like this.
  9. DolfanISS

DolfanISS Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP

I thought something was said about more 4 WR sets. Maybe those 4 and Grant as a gadget weapon?

*Demi*God* likes this.
  10. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin PowerHungryMo'fo

Gase is the bubble screen offense

Laser13 likes this.
  11. Eesti

Eesti Rookie Finheaven VIP

They have a director of pro personnel and many guys under him. I seriously doubt Gase is studying tape on all the potential free agents. He may have opinions but he is probaly not directing them to go get people with final say.

12. The Goat

The Goat Escape Goat Finheaven VIP

I know it's cool to bash them (and I'm not referring to you directly here), but when bubble screens work and are executed properly, they can work *really* well. The thing is that the Fins haven't been executing them well on a regular basis.

I think that's part of Gase's frustration; people simply weren't running plays correctly.

*Demi*God* and Spiff like this.
  13. SCOTTY

SCOTTY A True Fan

Gase is Chip Kelly 2.0. Ready to implode in 3, 2, 1...

Third Eye and Dolphins81 like this.
  14. andyahs

andyahs Bahamian Redneck Finheaven VIP Donator

Far from it. Sorry.

*Demi*God* and Anvil35 like this.
  15. Avigatorx

Avigatorx Sec. 107 Row 2 Finheaven VIP

Tooling

16. Birdmond

Birdmond A True Fan Donator

Oh I’ve said all along Gase is running the show and I’m loving this offseason.

Anvil35 and traptses like this.
  17. superphin

superphin close your eyes, see that? no your eyes are closed Finheaven VIP

I dont know man, I'm starting to lose faith in Gase, just a lot of things don't add up. Like people saying running the offense through Landry has gotten us no where, but why did Gase run the offense through Landry? If Landry was really not doing as he was told why was he never benched, cut, traded on his original contract? Ajayi was an issue so they got rid of him mid season..why keep Landry until his contract expired? If they couldn't find a trade partner why not bench Landry and put in Grant/Caroo? You're telling me this guy is disregarding what you're saying and your solution is to make him the focal point of the offense? That makes no sense.

Than Ajayi is traded and Drake has a pretty damn good year...but why wasn't he utilized more? As the coach shouldn't you know your own players? Is Drake a bad practice player...whats the deal man? Why does the HC not know the players on his team?

Fins1971, Hooligan, Yessir and 2 others like this.
  18. SCOTTY

SCOTTY A True Fan

Haha, tooling , Haha

19. jbyrd850

jbyrd850 Rookie

The Dolphins offense will be bottom 10 in the NFL next year imo. It's not about Gases play calling either it's about the players.

The wr unit isn't good, when Kenny Stills or Devante Parker is the best wr you have your wr unit sucks.

The oline isn't good. It should be with all we've invested into it but it's very mediocre.

The rb unit isn't good. Drake gets hurt and we've got nothing and Drake will get hurt if we try running him too much.

We don't have an elite TE or even one that I'd say is pretty good.

And then we've got Tannehill at qb and for as much as I hate on Tannehill he may be our best offensive skill player which again just isn't going to get it done.

kcbrown, JAKEIII and Yessir like this.
  20. bradmcnutt13

bradmcnutt13 A True Fan

Bring on the 5 slot receiver sets. The rest of the league doesn't stand a chance.

21. mmikel30

mmikel30 Starter

I’m souring on Gase

kcbrown likes this.
  22. jlfin

jlfin old pro

Gase and his coaching staff are smitten with Derrius Guice. This could be a pretty darn good offense with Guice, Drake, the current group of receivers and a pass catching TE.
    I think Gase wants to build the offense this offseason, so I think the draft will heavily favor offense. Wouldn’t surprise me to see them go RB, OG, TE...in that order

Stoobz likes this.
  23. Stoobz

Stoobz Scout Team Finheaven VIP

Wouldn't mind accidently getting DJ Chark too ;)

24. vere76

vere76 Rookie

Gase jad no clue last. Did you see his post game interview.

25. jc4005

jc4005 Well-Known Member

Heading into the draft, I think that trend continues. They want Smart guys that love football, and have real leadership skills. Not just an offense, but on defense as well. Suh may be a superior talent, but I'm sure he drove Burke crazy as much as he jumped offsides or lost containment against the run. We are severely lacking leaders. Players that will throw themselves into two guys to free up another teammate to make the play, etc.

Ricky4Life likes this.
  26. PBay Fin Fan

PBay Fin Fan FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I saw Guice in person at the Citrus Bowl. He is pretty frickin awesome.

Stoobz likes this.
  27. Anvil35

Anvil35 Leave Users Titles Alone!! Finheaven VIP Donator

The reason the ball was thrown so often to Landry is because it was the only throws that Cutler could make.

Teenwolf likes this.
  28. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

I think a lot of these moves are ramifications of the Cutler signing. Gase would have to coach his *** off to make the offense work with Cutler, and he would have to have all his ducks in a row to keep the lockerroom from revolting if things didn't go well. Neither happened and now we're suffering the consequences.

29. Dolfan23

Dolfan23 A True Fan

I’ve been a fan since 1983 and I can’t remember a Dolphins team who were good at ANY screen plays, let alone the bubble variety that we seem to have no clue how to run. After this many years I just shake my head when I see us trying them. Maybe this is the year we cross that bridge? Maybe we are able to run some Thurman Thomas type screens with Drake? Maybe Amendola teaches Grant and the rest of the receivers what a bubble screen is supposed to look like? Personally I hate that play as a staple of the offense and unless Tom brady is at QB for us I doubt I will feel any better about it. I would rather see us get vertical and run an honest to God hurry up use the freaking heat to our advantage style of offense.

30. Highzenga

Highzenga Well-Known Member

This is what I’m saying! Gase’s opinion is what matters most. Tbaum & Grier just trying to find players that Gase likes.

31. Ricky4Life

Ricky4Life Repin the MIA in AZ!!

Gase is molding this team into his vision. He is getting his players.

32. Eesti

Eesti Rookie Finheaven VIP

Nothing wrong with Gase's offense, IMO. It went through Landry because he was the most likely the hot read while the others were mid-range or deep. You don't get through your progressions when you have D-Linemen in your face in 2.6 seconds.

Last I checked he was still OC of the highest scoring offense of ALL TIME. 37.9 PPG.

That being said, still not sure we have the personnel to be top 10 if they don't fix the line. The only saving grace is what we saw over the second half of 2016 when they were top 11 in scoring. That's probably closer to what we will see this year (if Tannehill is healthy) compared to anything in 2017.

Run blocking is not good. Pass blocking is sufficient if all you are running is quick passing.

The only thing that is going to push us over the top is a seam threat TE and improved line. Of course the defense will be on the field all day long and we'll never get the ball at this point but....

33. tcdrover

tcdrover Pro Bowler

Gase calls the bubble screen LESS than Brady runs it

Besides BOTH of the new slot guys will KNOW the right play and line up correctly.

Sure they will not block as well, but they won't be starting fights either

They will probably both run MUCH better deep routes as well.

34. Jay131866

Jay131866 Scout Team

We better not take a RB in the first, it is a deep class for RB's. I do agree it will be offense heavy (as should be). I would be drafting 1 LB early and then offense for the rest. This assumes we sign a veteran DT like Poe in FA, and don't sign Zach Brown.

35. zach attach

zach attach A True Fan Donator

Bubble screens work when the defense is afraid of the long ball. When they know Tannehill and Cutler will be doing 10 yard outs, there's no fear.
    When Brees does jt, they must repsct that he can accurately hit the guy 40 yards down field. Bubble screens suck because the defense is already in position for the short passes.

36. dolphinheel

dolphinheel A True Fan

Don’t forget Grant

37. Danny

Danny Finheaven VIP Finheaven VIP

what's wrong with the HC wanting his players and his offense?

Ozzy rules!!