Gesicki Blocking

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by nick1, Aug 11, 2018 at 7:46 AM.

1. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

I know this has been a hot topic so let's examine his blocking in game #1

First play i will examine he's in for pass pro. Pushes his guy around the back of Tannehill well

At 58 second mark you'll see him in for pass pro again. He stands up the DE who doesn't look like he's rushing hard admittedly

Drake draw play, Gesicki gets in front of a DB and doesn't let him make a play on Drake. So overall solid blocking start for him. I know this is a hot topic for the board

finomenal, ladeback, NBP81 and 15 others like this.
  2. miami365

miami365 Rookie

With his wingspan just making people run around him will more often than not suffice.

Ray R and GUH-sick-EE like this.
  3. ANMoore

ANMoore Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting. I noticed while watching the game and was very impressed

I think it was @ckparrothead who said “how often do you see a grown man just get thrown to the side like a fifth grader?”

He’s a work in progress but I bet he holds up just fine

Ray R and Superself like this.
  4. Mach2

Mach2 Well-Known Member

I think his lack of blocking skills are blown WAY out of proportion. Does he have to improve? Yes, but he is willing, and apparently puts in the work. Blocking is a coachable skill. At his height, he is probably never going to get under an opponents pads, but he will get the job done.

Fintastic17, fininpsl, Ray R and 4 others like this.
  5. Ikema

Ikema FinHeaven VIP

As long as he can keep the defensive ends or outside linebackers honest by handling the occasional bulrush he should be fine. It's not like they're going to be relying on him to be a clean out blocker. I liked what I saw early Thursday night, I'm glad being brought up.

Ray R and foozool13 like this.
  6. Danny

Danny Finheaven VIP Finheaven VIP

The blocking thing is getting out of touch. We got Gesicki to catch TD's so any blocking is gravy. Let's not try to turn a great pass catching TE into an in line blocker.
    Would you rather talk about the TD he scored or about the block he made?

NBP81, Ray R, foozool13 and 2 others like this.
  7. miami365

miami365 Rookie

I'm just excited that this guy could be a Tony Gonzalez or Antonio Gates for us.

Ray R, GUH-sick-EE and Danny like this.
  8. spiketex

spiketex Kiko, El Bravo 47 - the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

What I like, is that Gesicki seems eager to learn and develop his blocking skills. Here we have a player who played wide receiver in high school and did a good job of developing his catching skills. As he got older, he grew taller and got bigger, to the point where he's now around 6'5", 250 lbs. At Penn State they saw his strengths in catching the ball and used him as a weapon, but his blocking skills were not fully developed.
    Don't be surprised if Gesicki ends up bigger and stronger next year and better equipped to block. This does not appear to be an Egnew scenario, where we overdrafted a TE, with poor blocking skills and very little self confidence.

Ray R, GUH-sick-EE, Vaark and 2 others like this.
  9. PlexGod

PlexGod Starter

Hes issue I think has been more picking up and recognizing blitzes and things like that. He seems to get there late

Ray R likes this.
  10. Mach2

Mach2 Well-Known Member

That will improve with experience. The NFL is a bit more complicated than the college game, and the defensive players are faster. If that's the biggest hurdle, it shouldn't be a long term problem.

Ray R likes this.
  11. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer Tape Guys vs Analytics Guys Finheaven VIP Donator

Good call on pointing out the draw play. You're right, he did throw a critical block on that play. I didn't notice that live.

12. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 My f*ck ups be the perfect mistakes Finheaven VIP Donator

I mean we basically saw what you expected out of a Gesicki and Goedert in those preseason games.

Gesicki showed elite athleticism on the endzone fade from Fales and Goedert was working the field like he has been doing this for a while, Able to get open with relative ease and showed really good hands.

13. gregorygrant83

gregorygrant83 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Gesicki might make you wish you had Thomas Duarte or even Michael Egnew blocking at tightend, but I still think he'll be enough of a weapon in the passing game. When he's the only tightend on the field it just feels more like a 4 wr set.

14. circumstances

circumstances Starter Finheaven VIP

I have a feeling we're not going to be harping on his blocking for much longer.

He's a smart guy. Once he acclimates and is able to quickly identify blitzes and any other pass blocking responsibilities he'll clean it up.

Ray R, Superself and TheJetsBlow like this.
  15. Digital

Digital Starter Finheaven VIP

Always a pleasure to get your analysis Travis. Thanks!

One thing I'd like to point out on that last clip, the draw you diagnosed so well, is that it shows something we have missed in past years. The two LB's, which is typical of today's mostly-nickel defenses, are both well blocked by our LG (#67), and our TE (#86, Mike Gesicki) downfield essentially taken out of the play freeing Drake all the way into the secondary. If we can see more of that--Tannehill recognizing the soft spot in the defense and audibling into a run, great pulling and blocking in space by our G's and TE's, and wide open run lanes at the line of scrimmage--our running game is going to really improve by leaps and bounds. It's preseason, I know … but who was expecting Mike Gesicki to make key blocks like that … answer honestly. ;-D

16. nick1

I think you want @Aqua4Ever04 i just used his tweets to help, shoutout to Travis

Ray R likes this.
  17. Digital

Both.

This year I agree, he needs to focus on becoming a good receiving target first and foremost. But, eventually, I want a full-service TE, something like Gronkowski, who is dominant in both roles.

Gesicki came into Penn State as a highly touted football and basketball player, yes, but he was the #1 volleyball player in the state. One of the very best in the country. Early in his career he got to the ball but did not have good hands … and he took a lot of abuse from fans because of it. Gesicki told the world he was working on that and would become a sure-handed player. He did. Entering this draft he had the best catch percentage of any TE in the draft. So if he got to the ball, he came down with the ball. Given his insane wingspan, 41" vertical, and 6'6" size … almost everything was catchable.

Mike Gesicki came good on his promise to become sure-handed. Now, as a Dolphins rookie, he has made numerous promises to improve his blocking. I believe him. I think we will see him develop into a good blocking TE. With Gesicki, blocking has always been more of a matter of 'want to' than a question of ability. Now that he wants to … I'm expecting him to develop into a solid blocking TE over the next few years, and an absolutely elite pass catching TE as well.

Ray R, fininpsl, Travis34 and 2 others like this.
  18. Digital

Oh, thanks Nick1, that was a very persuasive set of videos! I was under the impression that Aqua4Ever04 was Travis Wingfield, my bad! And yes, absolutely thank you @Aqua4Ever04 you rock!

BTW, I love your signature Nick1!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018 at 2:33 PM
    GUH-sick-EE, Ray R and nick1 like this.
  19. GUH-sick-EE

GUH-sick-EE Well-Known Member

He certainly has the frame for it, at 6'6" 247, he could easily add 8-10 lbs of muscle and still be just as lengthy. I just saw his wingspan is 82 inches. Dud is a freakin spider monkey.

Yup. I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but he was actually split wide on the boundry for a play, at 00:17...

Digital and Ray R like this.
  20. Blackcreekbandit

Blackcreekbandit Derek Jeter sits when he pees Finheaven VIP Donator

Bro Aqua4Ever04 is Travis Wingfield.

21. nick1

I think he understands lol

22. Fintastic17

Fintastic17 A True Fan

nick1 = Travis Wingfield?

On topic, I've said from the get go that the blocking thing is being overblown. He's a freak TE mismatch who's a willing blocker with a willingness to learn, we've had some LINEMAN here who were more of a turnstile than him for christ's sake.

Nobody's gonna be griping about his blocking after he sons a S or LB in the endzone to win us a game.

finomenal, GUH-sick-EE and miami365 like this.
  23. nick1

I am not Travis Wingfield lol but he is here. He's Aqua4Ever04

24. Sirspud

Sirspud Pro Bowler

I've seen years worth of disappointing TE's come through here. We had a decent one in Clay but even he was somewhat of a plodder who produced because he ran effective routes and was really good after the catch at staying on his feet and getting extra yards. Just from a brief look at him on Thursday Gesicki moves like nobody else I've seen in a Dolphins uniform at that position and to be honest like very few TE's in the league can do. He's much more fluid than a lot of guys drafted in the first round.

Gesicki looks like a future star, and I don't usually get excited about young players.

Ray R, miami365, Spiff and 2 others like this.
  25. Fintastic17

Fintastic17 A True Fan

That's what I thought I remembered but, hey my memories not the best haha

26. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

Everyone deserves to find someone who loves them like @nick1 loves Gesciki

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018 at 7:13 PM
    finomenal, GUH-sick-EE and NBP81 like this.
  27. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

I still don't agree with drafting Gesicki with Dallas Goedert on the board, but I'm not going to care about Gesicki's blocking. It has turned into such a pass-oriented offensive league you have to value the sporadic big plays that enable points and victories.

Let's put it this way...I trust Gesicki more than Parker. I seriously doubt we'll be sitting here 3 or 4 years from now hoping it is finally the year Gesicki puts it all together to the point we have enough information to make a decision on him. The Dolphins seemingly lead the league in that type year after year. It annoys me more than I ever emphasize. If you draft guys with truly rare skills in certain areas you don't suffer through that type of nonsense.

allsilverdreams and Kdawg954 like this.
  28. Aqua ‘N Orange

Aqua ‘N Orange Well-Known Member

He was serviceable. Got more in line run than I expected.

That cut on the overthrow that should have been 6 was filthy. Don’t think I ever saw that one at penn state. They obviously left meat on the bone ask wise of the player.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018 at 12:29 AM
    GUH-sick-EE and circumstances like this.
  29. finmann

finmann Pro Bowler Finheaven VIP

Right on, I for one want to talk about the TDs he will score.

Ray R likes this.
  30. circumstances

circumstances Starter Finheaven VIP

I thought the same thing.

31. GUH-sick-EE

GUH-sick-EE Well-Known Member

So I'm watching the game again and just realized that DE Gesicki was blocking against was none other than JPP!!! If you could've told me Mr. Can't Block Gesicki would be stonewalling a premier NFL DE in his first preseason game, I would've never believed it! He actually got about a 3 yd push on him (it was the James holding play)!

Edit: shortly after that, on 2nd & 15, he does an admirable job of picking up the safety blitz... while also blocking JPP!

Honestly, if he keeps working at it, I think we'll have very little to worry about in the blocking department with this guy going forward.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018 at 9:09 AM
    Ray R and Classic like this.
  32. finomenal

finomenal FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I want that mf running down the field, bullying the secondary. As for blocking? The few times he's asked to block, I'm cool with him just getting in the way. Anything else is gravy.

miami365 and Ray R like this.