Getting a QB in 2006 | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Getting a QB in 2006

The second for AJ argument is worthless, as I have pointed out many times before. If you want to count what the previous administration did as a reason not to draft a certain position, we got Booker (we wanted 1 and 3 got booker and 3) for a first this year. We also traded our 3rd for Gordon. By that logic we're not going QB, WR, or RB as we've already spent a 2, 1, and 3 in this years draft on said positions.

BlueFin said:
Couldn't disagree more, QB class is weak next year compared to this class, also, every year we wait to draft the QB is another year of delay before this team will be ready to contend. Where you think these QB's would have been drafted is irrelevent, they may both turn out to be greater than any of the three from last year, all that matters is if Saban has a conviction about one.

We'll see. It's hard to forcast the talent for an entire position a year in advance. No many were talking about Rodgers and Smith this time last year.

I'm actually hoping that we get our QB in 2007--Brian Brohm from......Louisville.

islandah said:
No way will Saban ever "ship the farm" for one player. Too much of a gamble, especially at the qb position. Now is our best opportunity, just sucks we ended up in such a weak draft when our # finally came up.
I am well aware of that, I agree, Saban would never do it... I'm just saying that I would.

Jnaledu3 said:
The QB class next year is worse than this years. It will happen this year.

Last years draft had more top notch talent at QB but less depth than this year.
Next year does not look like a good year for drafting a QB.

If Saban wants a franchise QB and he doesnt believe he has one with his existing QBs then why postpone the inevitable.?He may not get another chance if he is succesful and if he isnt he wont be here long enough to regret that he didnt take one when he had the chance

You have to estimate that a QB will take a couple of years to develop.This team is in the developmental stage.It will take a couple of years to be competetive.The offense has a chance to be built around a new QB.

great post
i agree BUT
i would still like to see Mcpherson in the third because he has so much potential and then next year we might not need to draft a QB in the first and we can take a LT next year in the LT loaded draft

I hate to say this but top knoch talent is about the only thing that matters at QB. While finding a prospect in the later rounds is nice, obtaining a great QB is almost always done through the draft. Ever year prospects seperate themselves from each other. I didn't hear anyone touting Smith, Rodgers as top 5 talent last year and Campbell has 1 good year and is now a top 30 pick. Because I don't think any of these 3 OB's has impressed me I will take my chances with next years talent being better. (Leinart, V. Young, C. Leak, O. Jacobs, and whatever Alex Smith like QB has a great year)... GreenMonster

I seen McPherson play a couple games last year here in Indy. I wasnt really that impressed with him. He makes some good passes but its arena football that is all they do. The WR gets a running start on the CB, He to me is one of the more Risky players in the draft. He could be really good or really bad. He will be facing a whole different level of talent than AFL players.

I like Adrian but with all of the depth at the QB in the 2nd -5th round area I think we can wait on a QB till the 5th and still get a quality non QB player in the 3rd. With so many 2nd tier talents (Frye,Orton, Walter, Lefors...etc) I am willing to wait and would be happy with any of these guys as a 3rd string guy.... GreenMonster (sorry Sage)

If we went QB next year, I want Reggie McNeal from Texas A&M (I'm a little biased, fine...but i've seen enough of him to know hes good). He reminds me of Culpepper IMO...big, very good arm, very mobile. He'd be a nice mid 1st-round pick next year, plus i'd be doing backflips to have an Aggie under center for this team (as opposed to the Aggie already manning center for us....hate to say it but he sucks! lol).

I don't think you can bank on next year's QB class and I don't think Saban will either. This is why:
1. Right now we don't know who will be comng out and how the top QB prospects will develop over the next year.
2. We probably won't have as high a pick next year and would be picking a QB in the middle of the round which limits who will still be there.
3. Drafting a QB next year slows the process of rebuilding an extra year. If we draft a QB this year he will be ready in a year or two. If we draft one next year it will be at least two to three years.
4. I think next year's draft will be concentrated on defense. It's no secret our defense is getting old and Saban is a defensive minded coach. He knows there are too many holes on the offense to go D this year early, but next year will be a different story.

All of that being said I don't know that we will go QB in the first round, but I do believe we will take a QB in the first four rounds with the intention of having him be the eventual starter. There is depth at QB in this draft and someone like Kyle Orton, Andrew Walter, Charlie Frye, or Adrian McPherson could be someone who is groomed to take over the starting job in a couple years. I personally would prefer Smith or Rogers, but either way I think our future QB comes from this draft.

Next year's QB class isn't as deep in talent, but it is very top heavy.
Leinart obviously heads the crew, but if Chris Leak and Omar Jacobs declare, then it's a different story. The rest are bums, but keep an eye on Drew Stanton and Tyler Palko.

Gotta wait a couple of years for the next super prospects (Brohm from Louisville, Chad Henne from Michigan, and Brady Quinn from Notre Dame will be top 15 picks).

stoody24 said:
great post
i agree BUT
i would still like to see Mcpherson in the third because he has so much potential and then next year we might not need to draft a QB in the first and we can take a LT next year in the LT loaded draft

If McPherson is still around in the 4th round he might be worth the risk. Or if we acquire an extra 3rd .

If Kyle Orton or Andrew Walter are there in the 3rd, we'd be stupid not to take them.

McPherson, even with all that talent, is a HUGE project. He's at least 3 years away. He's gotta alot to learn.

Back
Top Bottom