getting Keith Traylor a bad idea? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

getting Keith Traylor a bad idea?

We have Romero, Zgnonina and vickerson to spell Traylor at the mo, and possibly Wright too. Add to that Chester, Holliday and maybe even Carter, and I think Traylor will be able to get all the rest he needs

im going say what i always say. Traylor does not have to be in shape. all he has to do is lay down and he will stop the run.

Saban probably knew Bowens wouldn't be back. Then he looked at tapes and realized even a bloated, aging and spent Keith Traylor would be superior to Larry Chester, even if Chester were 100%. Anything that keeps Chester off the field, count me in.

He will be in on 1st and 2nd down and short yardage situations. He will be taken out on passing downs. He'll have plenty of time to catch his breath.

jlfin said:
He will be in on 1st and 2nd down and short yardage situations. He will be taken out on passing downs. He'll have plenty of time to catch his breath.

Exactly, he's not here for pass rush....

Nothing like up-tempo two-a-days in July and August to whip him into shape.

TerryTate said:
Exactly, he's not here for pass rush....
can you imagine the pass rushing ability that a d-line with Taylor, Carter, Holliday and Roth would have! Brady better bring an extra set of underwear

nick1 said:
http://nfl.com/news/story/8563503

they don't seem to think that he can do much of anything and they think we are counting on him to start in Bowens place which I seriously doubt we are. But he has even mentioned that he doesn't have anything left in the tank so I wonder what we are doing with him? and my main question is are we counting on him to start? and who will be our starting DTs assuming Chester also retires? my guess is that Kevin Carter will start at DT but we need two starting DTs, so who else?

Traylor will be in the DT rotation...Hopefully with Chester, Carter, and Zgonina and possibly even Holliday...but with more emphasis on a defense that changes up a lot (specifically between the 4-3 and the 3-4) he could be effective for us...of course, being in some kind of shape and still having something "in the tank" is a prerequisite...He basically took Timbo's spot, as I'm sure that Saban saw that IF Timbo could return, he'd only be effective as a rotational player, not good for 60 plays a game...

nick1 said:
can you imagine the pass rushing ability that a d-line with Taylor, Carter, Holliday and Roth would have! Brady better bring an extra set of underwear

That does appear to be a fierce pass-rushing DL. However, a well executed draw with a decent RB would probably gain 30 yards.

DT like Traylor, P. Williams, and Sam Adams are just huge guys that take up space that have some other skills. Being Fat and taking up space is these guys main job and I am happy Traylor signed a vet. min deal for 2 years.

No doubt about it. DT is paper thin right now....

I'm not going say Traylor was a mistake until I see him in action. But the fact that Bowens and Chester wont be back bothers me big time....

Carter is not a natural DT, and neither is Holliday. They're best suited as pass rushers, not run cloggers. We're in some serious trouble at DT if we don't find a solid replacement for both Bowens / Chester, and right now, none of the players on our roster make me feel very comfortable....

Unless we land Wright in the upcoming SD, or a worthy starting DT falls in our lap from the player cuts, we're soft and extremely thin in the middle. Not good, and I'd have to say it's our biggest and most crucial concern...Even more so than our paper thin secondary....

PHINZ RULE!!!!

By the way ... here's the complete quote from the Miami Herald that this columnist is taking out of context:

Recently signed defensive tackle Keith Traylor admitted he has had some initial trouble getting back in shape as he deals with the sun and humidity in South Florida.

Asked how much he has left in the tank, Traylor admitted to not much, if anything.

''I really couldn't answer that one right now because the tank is empty right now,'' Traylor said with a chuckle. ``But I'm building it back up. At the end of the year I'll be able to answer that.''

Asked to clarify that, Traylor said: ``That means because of the heat and me just getting started back up. Not saying that I'm ready to walk away from the game, no. I still feel like I got something to offer the game, yes.''

Traylor said he expects to play primarily on running downs and come out in passing situations.

''Considering I'm an older guy and a plug. I'm not ashamed of identifying my title and my job. I'm what you call a grunt,'' he said. ``I'm going to go in there and take on dudes. When the glory downs come, I'm going to go out. It depends on what the coaches think, and we'll go from there.''

Back
Top Bottom