Glass is Half-Full Viewpoint | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Glass is Half-Full Viewpoint

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
Just when you thought that last year was an aberration, the injury bug has hit Miami big so far in training camp. First Ryan Tannehill, then Ted Larson and in the first preseason game Raekwon McMillan goes down for the year.

Not good news, obviously. But from a timing standpoint things could be worse. If Tannehill went down in game three of the season I'm not sure Jay Cutler would be an option. It would take weeks, I'd think, for him to get into NFL shape. Cutler is a step down from Tannehill to be sure, but his numbers with Adam Gase in Chicago were similar to what Tannehill did last year. He gives Miami a chance.

McMillan, but all accounts, was having an outstanding training camp and perhaps was the one rookie who would have played the most snaps this year. Miami is not deep at linebacker so that's another tough one. It could give a young player like Chase Allen a chance to emerge, though. Those things do happen in sports. The team will likely sign a veteran linebacker as well.

The Dolphins were decimated by injuries last year and still made the playoffs. At least these injuries are early enough where the team can get players into the system. The season is not lost by any means.

Is it too early for our annual battle cry "Wait 'till next year" ?

That's true if these things were gonna happen now is the time. Of course we can't afford any more of them.

I'm surprised those 2015 cutler under gase gifs didn't get more discussion frankly. There was a bunch of red flags on them.

Is it too early for our annual battle cry "Wait 'till next year" ?

LOL....everyone here falls into one of the following categories... I'm guessing you're either #2 or #3...(I'm teetering between both):

im-half-full-im-half-empty-i-think-this-is-14013196.png

That's true if these things were gonna happen now is the time. Of course we can't afford any more of them.

I'm surprised those 2015 cutler under gase gifs didn't get more discussion frankly. There was a bunch of red flags on them.

Thats Jay Cutler in a nut-shell

Good post. Injuries are frustrating. Especially to position groups thin on depth. I've been a consistent critic of the FO for not upgrading linebacker and interior OL. While I still believe more should have been done the last 2 offseasons to shore up those positions, we just have to accept that the injury bug is going to bite every season. Hell, if we had drafted Forrest Lamp at OG, we'd be crying right now over his torn ACL.

Good post. Injuries are frustrating. Especially to position groups thin on depth. I've been a consistent critic of the FO for not upgrading linebacker and interior OL. While I still believe more should have been done the last 2 offseasons to shore up those positions, we just have to accept that the injury bug is going to bite every season. Hell, if we had drafted Forrest Lamp at OG, we'd be crying right now over his torn ACL.
NFL teams all have injuries the championship teams figure out how to adapt and make the best of it.

To be even a little more glass-half-full...

I'll preface this by saying that I am a Tannehill fan. I was hoping for / expecting further improvement this season. But I think we should also keep in mind that in looking at Tannehill's first season under Gase, there was a learning curve. No one will forget that we started 1-4, which could have easily been 0-5 if not for some ridiculously bad FG-kicking from the Browns kicker. The offense, as a unit, was playing poorly. There were numerous reasons for that - Ajayi had yet to emerge, the offensive line was playing poorly, etc. In particular, the games against the Bengals and Titans were brutal.

So, if we have some hope that Cutler has a good grasp on Gase's offense, that the players surrounding him clearly are more prepared heading into their second season in the same offense, and that Pouncey can play early in the season...why should we assume that things are going to be substantially worse than 2016?

I am cautiously optimistic that all of the doom & gloom is unwarranted.

My attitude toward the whole thing right now is whoever MIami plugs in at quarterback at this point is going to have their fair share of peaks and valleys this season, so why even dwell on the negatives of Cutler seeing that there were likely going to be just as many negatives with any qb we replaced Tannehill with. And on the flip side of the coin I think Cutler's positives might be better than positives we would see from Moore or some of the other qb options. It won't be a smooth ride through the season, but it seldomly plays out that way around here or for most teams anyway.

Just when you thought that last year was an aberration, the injury bug has hit Miami big so far in training camp. First Ryan Tannehill, then Ted Larson and in the first preseason game Raekwon McMillan goes down for the year.

Not good news, obviously. But from a timing standpoint things could be worse. If Tannehill went down in game three of the season I'm not sure Jay Cutler would be an option. It would take weeks, I'd think, for him to get into NFL shape. Cutler is a step down from Tannehill to be sure, but his numbers with Adam Gase in Chicago were similar to what Tannehill did last year. He gives Miami a chance.

McMillan, but all accounts, was having an outstanding training camp and perhaps was the one rookie who would have played the most snaps this year. Miami is not deep at linebacker so that's another tough one. It could give a young player like Chase Allen a chance to emerge, though. Those things do happen in sports. The team will likely sign a veteran linebacker as well.

The Dolphins were decimated by injuries last year and still made the playoffs. At least these injuries are early enough where the team can get players into the system. The season is not lost by any means.
I agree w this premise. We are a system team - no one player carries us. We are building a more sustainable formula for winning. While Tannehill is better than Cutler I expect us to win as many games as we would have w Tannehill if that makes any sense. QB is seldom the reason we win or lose. We play a team game and we still have enough talent to make the playoffs again.

To me this is a test, albeit very early one, of Gases abilities. Great coaches adjust and field competitive teams even in the face of adversity and injuries. It's what separates the ok from the good to the great. Won't hold it against Gase if Miami has a down year, but if they do make the playoffs there's no question he's a keeper.

My attitude toward the whole thing right now is whoever MIami plugs in at quarterback at this point is going to have their fair share of peaks and valleys this season, so why even dwell on the negatives of Cutler seeing that there were likely going to be just as many negatives with any qb we replaced Tannehill with. And on the flip side of the coin I think Cutler's positives might be better than positives we would see from Moore or some of the other qb options. It won't be a smooth ride through the season, but it seldomly plays out that way around here or for most teams anyway.

IF we make the postseason this year they should give Adam gase a lifetime contract and put a statue of his likeness outside the stadium.

Even with all the injuries so far, I just don't think we took any steps back as a team.

Tannehill and Cutler's #'s and QBR look identical under Gase.

Larsen and Raekwon can't even be argued without it being pure speculation as to how they would've looked in games.

It's simply too early in camp to make any declarations about anyone.

Is Gase still the Head Coach? Well then that glass is always gonna look half full to me.

Back
Top Bottom