Glass is Half-Full Viewpoint | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Glass is Half-Full Viewpoint

Is it too early for our annual battle cry "Wait 'till next year" ?

Considering our HC this year is Adam Gase, who helped the team go from a 1-4 start to a 10-6 playoff birth last year, it actually may be to early until we know for sure who Gase reallly is.

Even with all the injuries so far, I just don't think we took any steps back as a team.

Tannehill and Cutler's #'s and QBR look identical under Gase.

Larsen and Raekwon can't even be argued without it being pure speculation as to how they would've looked in games.

It's simply too early in camp to make any declarations about anyone.

Is Gase still the Head Coach? Well then that glass is always gonna look half full to me.

Good points. Even now we are still better off at LB than we were, hopefully will get another vet in the room.

I remember the year Cutler was drafted, he was a big target for Dolphins fans, many thought we were going to grab him....now here he is....gonna be interesting to see how this plays out....could go any number of ways, but his floor is established at least, he's going to be serviceable at the very least. The fact that he's really not that old as a QB gets my hopes up a bit.

Great post my Cali brother!

Hopefully, there won't be many more injuries. I still like the teams' chances, although it's easy to
Good post. Injuries are frustrating. Especially to position groups thin on depth. I've been a consistent critic of the FO for not upgrading linebacker and interior OL. While I still believe more should have been done the last 2 offseasons to shore up those positions, we just have to accept that the injury bug is going to bite every season. Hell, if we had drafted Forrest Lamp at OG, we'd be crying right now over his torn ACL.

Agree. Moving forward I hope Miami builds the linebacker and offensive line groups the way they've attacked the wide receiver core. The Dolphins now have an outstanding group of wideouts, but they invested a lot of picks there. Landry in the 2nd, Parker in the 1st, a third round trade for Stills, Carroo in the 3rd.

I agree w this premise. We are a system team - no one player carries us. We are building a more sustainable formula for winning. While Tannehill is better than Cutler I expect us to win as many games as we would have w Tannehill if that makes any sense. QB is seldom the reason we win or lose. We play a team game and we still have enough talent to make the playoffs again.

Nice post. I finally had a chance to watch the preseason game and man does Miami have some real talent at wide receiver. Does the team keep seven, or is there a possible trade coming there.

As to the injuries, every team has them. It's just a matter of surviving. At least early, Miami has more choices of players rather than dumpster diving later on.

Good points. Even now we are still better off at LB than we were, hopefully will get another vet in the room.

I remember the year Cutler was drafted, he was a big target for Dolphins fans, many thought we were going to grab him....now here he is....gonna be interesting to see how this plays out....could go any number of ways, but his floor is established at least, he's going to be serviceable at the very least. The fact that he's really not that old as a QB gets my hopes up a bit.

I don't think he's every had this kind of talent around him. Miami's offense has the chance to be really good.

Watching the replay, one thing that seems to stand out is that the depth on this team is better than in the past. The OL without starters is holding up well. How's that for half full? It usually depends on my IPA level. LOL

LOL....everyone here falls into one of the following categories... I'm guessing you're either #2 or #3...(I'm teetering between both):

I believe there's a 4th kind...glass is always100% full (50% beer and 50% air)

My attitude toward the whole thing right now is whoever MIami plugs in at quarterback at this point is going to have their fair share of peaks and valleys this season, so why even dwell on the negatives of Cutler seeing that there were likely going to be just as many negatives with any qb we replaced Tannehill with. And on the flip side of the coin I think Cutler's positives might be better than positives we would see from Moore or some of the other qb options. It won't be a smooth ride through the season, but it seldomly plays out that way around here or for most teams anyway.
However, if the running game really takes off, then Gase has the luxury of being pretty conservative with the key throws called for Cutler, who gets into trouble when he tries to do too much. We now have some really good talent at receiver (Landry, Parker, Stills, Caroo) and TE (Thomas, Fasano, Gray), who can gash opposing Defenses, the key is establishing the running game first, allowing Ajayi to make some big yardage. Also don't underestimate Fasano's blocking skills to help set up the hole for Ajayi. In 2016, Fasano was rated the NFL's #1 blocking TE.

Last edited:
Reactions: BSQ
To me this is a test, albeit very early one, of Gases abilities. Great coaches adjust and field competitive teams even in the face of adversity and injuries. It's what separates the ok from the good to the great. Won't hold it against Gase if Miami has a down year, but if they do make the playoffs there's no question he's a keeper.
He already passed that test last year going 10-6 with a crippled squad by my estimation.

Just when you thought that last year was an aberration, the injury bug has hit Miami big so far in training camp. First Ryan Tannehill, then Ted Larson and in the first preseason game Raekwon McMillan goes down for the year.

Not good news, obviously. But from a timing standpoint things could be worse. If Tannehill went down in game three of the season I'm not sure Jay Cutler would be an option. It would take weeks, I'd think, for him to get into NFL shape. Cutler is a step down from Tannehill to be sure, but his numbers with Adam Gase in Chicago were similar to what Tannehill did last year. He gives Miami a chance.

McMillan, but all accounts, was having an outstanding training camp and perhaps was the one rookie who would have played the most snaps this year. Miami is not deep at linebacker so that's another tough one. It could give a young player like Chase Allen a chance to emerge, though. Those things do happen in sports. The team will likely sign a veteran linebacker as well.

The Dolphins were decimated by injuries last year and still made the playoffs. At least these injuries are early enough where the team can get players into the system. The season is not lost by any means.
Just when you thought that last year was an aberration, the injury bug has hit Miami big so far in training camp. First Ryan Tannehill, then Ted Larson and in the first preseason game Raekwon McMillan goes down for the year.

Not good news, obviously. But from a timing standpoint things could be worse. If Tannehill went down in game three of the season I'm not sure Jay Cutler would be an option. It would take weeks, I'd think, for him to get into NFL shape. Cutler is a step down from Tannehill to be sure, but his numbers with Adam Gase in Chicago were similar to what Tannehill did last year. He gives Miami a chance.

McMillan, but all accounts, was having an outstanding training camp and perhaps was the one rookie who would have played the most snaps this year. Miami is not deep at linebacker so that's another tough one. It could give a young player like Chase Allen a chance to emerge, though. Those things do happen in sports. The team will likely sign a veteran linebacker as well.

The Dolphins were decimated by injuries last year and still made the playoffs. At least these injuries are early enough where the team can get players into the system. The season is not lost by any means.

For all the injuries Harris, McMillian. Godchaus, Asiata, and a number of wrs flashing . . . Not a bad draft. Yes. It's still early.

Back
Top Bottom