Good QB breakdown from Greg Cosell | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Good QB breakdown from Greg Cosell

...wow, that might deflate the Tua tribe balloon just a tad!

overall a very reasonable analysis with good insights...

Based on that there's ZERO CHANCE we force the issue and

trade up for either a "system QB" (with serious medical flags)

or absolutely sell the farm for a weak arm...

If we're 100% addicted to a QB @5 we will have some options

but I would rather grab a certified legit NFL ready PRO like

Derrick Brown or Simmons.

I still like our chances with Rosen developing with a strong OL

and a complimentary running game...

:lol:

Yeah, I was telling some other friends of mine that Miami has a serious interest in James Morgan. They don't need a QB to step in right away, so unless they are sold on Tua or Herbert, then Love, Morgan or another developmental QB is more than likely in play.

As far as Brown goes, he's a very good player, but I will lose my $h!+ if they draft another DT in the first round. I am not sure that Simmons would be there at #5, so the best bet might be to trade back and take Love or an OT.

I have been a Greg Cosell fan for years. Here's a good interview with his take on the QB's in this draft.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story...acks-nfl-draft
I've always enjoy listening to Greg Cosell. He knows his stuff and does a lot of film study.

As to quarterback, I'd still prefer Tua if he's there at #5, but no question he was surrounded by NFL talent. His accuracy and anticipation are top-notch, though. Plus, he does a great job using his eyes and moving safeties.

Obviously, not a slam dunk with his injuries and will need to work on getting the ball out more quickly.

Interesting take on Jordan Love. He's such a wildcard. I don't think you can watch his tape and not see talent and perhaps Miami could be a good fit with Fitzpatrick as a veteran presence.

It would really help the Dolphins if they decide 2 QB's (after Burrow) are close to equal in value. That way they need not trade up right away and maybe never. If the Skins pick Chase Young it would make things easy. Whatever happens at number 3, the Dolphins would only have to trade up one place to get one of the quarterbacks they wanted which should not be too expensive as the Giants would be guaranteed at 5 whoever they wanted at 4. If no other QB's are taken before them (besides Burrow) they get their top pick without having to trade away a pick. Right now Cleveland could have Saquon Barkley and Baker Mayfield if they had gone into it thinking of the two Josh's, Darnold and Mayfield, they would be comfortable getting their pick from at least two of them.

Yeah, I was telling some other friends of mine that Miami has a serious interest in James Morgan. They don't need a QB to step in right away, so unless they are sold on Tua or Herbert, then Love, Morgan or another developmental QB is more than likely in play.

As far as Brown goes, he's a very good player, but I will lose my $h!+ if they draft another DT in the first round. I am not sure that Simmons would be there at #5, so the best bet might be to trade back and take Love or an OT.
you were doing good till you mention Love.

It would really help the Dolphins if they decide 2 QB's (after Burrow) are close to equal in value. That way they need not trade up right away and maybe never. If the Skins pick Chase Young it would make things easy. Whatever happens at number 3, the Dolphins would only have to trade up one place to get one of the quarterbacks they wanted which should not be too expensive as the Giants would be guaranteed at 5 whoever they wanted at 4. If no other QB's are taken before them (besides Burrow) they get their top pick without having to trade away a pick. Right now Cleveland could have Saquon Barkley and Baker Mayfield if they had gone into it thinking of the two Josh's, Darnold and Mayfield, they would be comfortable getting their pick from at least two of them.
That's a great point. It's tough because this isn't a slam dunk decision at quarterback. Other than Burrow, I think there are questions with each quarterback. I suppose that's the case in most draft classes and I realize a lot depends on the coaching staff's ability to develop players. The questions:

Tua - injuries (durability)
Herbert - throwing with anticipation (what Cosell discussed)
Love - decision making, using his lower body better, overall mechanics (sometimes really good)
Hurts - seeing the whole field? Relying too much on his running ability.

Herbert definitely looked better than Love in the Senior Bowl, for what's that worth. The comparison Cosell made to Josh Allen is troubling, though. I like Allen's toughness and his ability to win in those quarterback sneak situations. But his lack of anticipation/touch could limit his ability to ever be one of the better quarterbacks. I actually think Herbert is more accurate than Allen, but Cosell is right that he's more of a "see the open receiver and throw" kind of quarterback.

As far as how Miami rates them. Tua definitely has the accuracy, anticipation that Flores is familiar with from NE. That still seems like the choice unless Washington is serious at #2. Then, like you said, is it close between Herbert and Love so that you don't have to lose assets to trade up?

There wasn't anything overly negative about Tua. He does have a sameness tendency in moving up in the pocket, an almost identical length and speed of that even if the evolving play maybe requires something different, or no movement at all.

No big deal. It would be the least of my concerns about Tua. I've always sensed he uses that stepping up as kind of a rhythm mechanism, the same way other quarterbacks pat the ball. Lots of his best timing and touch throws come on the end of stepping up.

I'm all in with Brown. I think the dude is going to be a legit game-changer as a PRO with
positional flex in Flores system -- a freaking NIGHTMARE!

IMO he's a very safe pick to actually land greatness on the roster!

I just don't think you pass on those kind of players.

But hey, I get the QB obsession and unmitigated frenzy by many to just get a QB and that will make
everything great... I don't disagree as long as you have a very high certainty on your target @5.

Trading up is pure insanity on so many levels...

That would totally wreck our program before it really gets going.

And yes, I still think Rosen can mature into a solid PRO.

The kid has a lot of talent and needs to have some solid support to have a legit chance
to show if he's indeed the answer. I just think the bashing he's taken around here is
misguided relative to the situation he was thrown into last year...

But I'm sure Flores has already made a preliminary decision on Josh based on what he's seen
behind the scenes...

Our draft will certainly be interesting!

I'm all in with Brown. I think the dude is going to be a legit game-changer as a PRO with
positional flex in Flores system -- a freaking NIGHTMARE!

IMO he's a very safe pick to actually land greatness on the roster!

I just don't think you pass on those kind of players.

But hey, I get the QB obsession and unmitigated frenzy by many to just get a QB and that will make
everything great... I don't disagree as long as you have a very high certainty on your target @5.

Trading up is pure insanity on so many levels...

That would totally wreck our program before it really gets going.

And yes, I still think Rosen can mature into a solid PRO.

The kid has a lot of talent and needs to have some solid support to have a legit chance
to show if he's indeed the answer. I just think the bashing he's taken around here is
misguided relative to the situation he was thrown into last year...

But I'm sure Flores has already made a preliminary decision on Josh based on what he's seen
behind the scenes...

Our draft will certainly be interesting!
I agree with you 100%. Derrick Brown has been the sleeper pick for me at #5 for Miami. If you read anything into the 2 day meeting Miami's F/O had with Brown and his teammates, an argument could be made there is something brewing at # 5? Expect the unexpected?

I agree with you 100%. Derrick Brown has been the sleeper pick for me at #5 for Miami. If you read anything into the 2 day meeting Miami's F/O had with Brown and his teammates, an argument could be made there is something brewing at # 5? Expect the unexpected?
If Miami drafts a defensive tackle with the 5th pick, the front office should be fired before they get to pick 18.

Nobody has mentioned just how quickly Cosell jumped in to tout Jacob Eason.

My guy... the guy who I still believe will be the steal of this draft... if he goes to a team that wants a pocket passer.

If the Giants didnt already have Jones, they'd take him in the first.

Back
Top Bottom