Goodell should take note: | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Goodell should take note:

I'm curious what you mean by "3rd lifetime suspension". There have been more than 3 lifetime suspensions in baseball already. Joe Jackson was the best player and most famous of the White Sox, but all 8 involved were given the same punishment. There were some other fringe players on other teams who were somehow tied to the scandal who were given suspensions as well (if memory serves me correctly). Of course, there is Rose. I agree that Cora, Hinch, et. al should be placed on that list. Altuve's buzzer is at yet another level.

As far as the Patriots, it drives me crazy that they have been getting away with this stuff without a stiffer punishment. It makes me question their whole dynasty (I have a hard time truly placing the team as a dynasty, their coach, and their QB on any all-time list because of the scandals). Deflategate is the only benign scandal. I just accepted a long time ago that ball tampering has been going on for years in the NFL (not condoning it, just stating it was a wide-spread practice in sports for years and years). They should have been fined for an equipment violation for each occurrence. The punishment for not cooperating with the investigation is another matter (and was rightfully stiff) and the Patriots' explanations on the matter were completely disingenuous (Tom Brady explaining why he destroyed his phone, calling a guy "the Deflator" because he lost weight, etc.).
The ball tampering was far more advantageous than most realize. The softer football created better ball security for Pats ball carriers. They basically didn’t fumble at the random rate that every other team did over that 9-10 year period. It might be the most beneficial thing they did of all the cheating. Major statisticians and scientists analyzed the data to determine the odds that they could have really led the league in fewest fumbles (just ball coming out) and all of them concluded it was basically a miracle. Think about what another 2-3 turnovers per year could have done to them.

also, anyone buy that Josh Gordon was clean for almost 2 years on the Pats then 2 weeks after going to Seattle he’s busted again?

The ball tampering was far more advantageous than most realize. The softer football created better ball security for Pats ball carriers. They basically didn’t fumble at the random rate that every other team did over that 9-10 year period. It might be the most beneficial thing they did of all the cheating. Major statisticians and scientists analyzed the data to determine the odds that they could have really led the league in fewest fumbles (just ball coming out) and all of them concluded it was basically a miracle. Think about what another 2-3 turnovers per year could have done to them.

also, anyone buy that Josh Gordon was clean for almost 2 years on the Pats then 2 weeks after going to Seattle he’s busted again?

Agreed on Josh Gordon.

I didn't say the ball tampering wasn't advantageous. I just meant I'm surprised that people (especially fans) in general were surprised somebody tampered with the footballs. I assumed it was a wide spread practice across the league. Phil Simms discussed this in something I read years ago. He said before games, the Giants equipment guys would soak the balls in water then towel them off. Sometimes they would piut them in an oven, sometimes in a clothes dryer...anything to make the leather softer. I assumed this included tampering with inflation. This was all prior to the K balls. Aaron Rodgers said he prefers an overinflated football because he has large hands (while not the benefit of an underinflated ball, this is against the rules as well and should have been punished as an equipment violation if caught). Dan Marino joked if he had known an underinflated football was an advantage, he would have pushed for the Dolphins equipment guys to underinflate balls.

I first learned of the ball tampering in the context of basketball while reading The Jordan Rules in high school (several years after the book was released). Lakers teams in the 1980's liked an overinflated ball (Magic had a high dribble and the overinflated ball led to long rebounds which helped trigger the fast break) The balls routinely had 14-15 pounds of air in them). Knicks teams of the 1970's liked an underinflated ball because it slowed the game down. Players used to carry inflation needles in their shorts and would sometimes deflate the ball during dead ball situations. The Miami Heat of the early 1990's also tried to sneak balls into games with only 4-5 pounds of air in them (instead of the standard 7.5-8.5).

I definitely don't condone bounties on players, but the Bounty-Gate situation didn't surprise me either (another thing I assumed existed at some level on most teams). Mike Golic has talked openly about a players bounty on the Eagles ($100 for a hit that knocked a player out of a game, $400 for knocking out a QB, etc.). The difference with the Saints was their bounty situation was team-endorsed (coaches, etc.)

Agreed on Josh Gordon.

I didn't say the ball tampering wasn't advantageous. I just meant I'm surprised that people (especially fans) in general were surprised somebody tampered with the footballs. I assumed it was a wide spread practice across the league. Phil Simms discussed this in something I read years ago. He said before games, the Giants equipment guys would soak the balls in water then towel them off. Sometimes they would piut them in an oven, sometimes in a clothes dryer...anything to make the leather softer. I assumed this included tampering with inflation. This was all prior to the K balls. Aaron Rodgers said he prefers an overinflated football because he has large hands (while not the benefit of an underinflated ball, this is against the rules as well and should have been punished as an equipment violation if caught). Dan Marino joked if he had known an underinflated football was an advantage, he would have pushed for the Dolphins equipment guys to underinflate balls.

I first learned of the ball tampering in the context of basketball while reading The Jordan Rules in high school (several years after the book was released). Lakers teams in the 1980's liked an overinflated ball (Magic had a high dribble and the overinflated ball led to long rebounds which helped trigger the fast break) The balls routinely had 14-15 pounds of air in them). Knicks teams of the 1970's liked an underinflated ball because it slowed the game down. Players used to carry inflation needles in their shorts and would sometimes deflate the ball during dead ball situations. The Miami Heat of the early 1990's also tried to sneak balls into games with only 4-5 pounds of air in them (instead of the standard 7.5-8.5).

I definitely don't condone bounties on players, but the Bounty-Gate situation didn't surprise me either (another thing I assumed existed at some level on most teams). Mike Golic has talked openly about a players bounty on the Eagles ($100 for a hit that knocked a player out of a game, $400 for knocking out a QB, etc.). The difference with the Saints was their bounty situation was team-endorsed (coaches, etc.)
Great post. I can just see a player letting air out of a basketball during a whistle. The lengths these people go through. The “deflator” - you know, because he was on a diet - hahahahaha

Sign stealing is an art, it's been going on forever in baseball. There's probably not a team in baseball that hasn't dabbled in it. Technology has taken it to new levels of intricacy. Astros got busted because of a snitch. There's probably many other teams breathing a sigh of relief they didn't have a snitch in their clubhouse.

Cheating and baseball go hand in hand. Won't be the last time a team steals signs.
Won't make this time any more right either. Sounds like all of the cheatriots fans excuses rolled into one post as they try to justify their team cheating. Credit them for being good at cheating, blame the world for being against them, accuse everyone everywhere since the beginning of time of cheating too...wait! You forgot the "They're so awesome they would win every game anyway" angle.

Fair enough. I still say he has been way too lenient on the Pats. Deflate gate was penalized as if it affected one game (the one they got caught) when the evidence showed it went on from 2007 to whatever year that was. I guess he’s been inconsistent. He did crucify Ray Rice too.
He only crucified Ray Rice once he was pressured by those pesky pro-women people who didn't agree with Goodell's values (that assaulting and knocking out a woman is about half as bad as smoking a joint). 4 games for a little weed and 2 for beating a woman. Oops. Didn't realize the world was watching I guess. He thought he had his own little kingdom and could levy discipline however he wanted. But he got caught and exposed for the POS he is, which was actually good for the league, prying discipline from his failing hands.

Back
Top Bottom