Grade The Game: Preseason Game 1

Grade the first exhibition game

• Total voters

Charlie Rivers

SUPERBOWL BOUND!!
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
It's not an important measure being that it was only a scrimmage, but, if you like, give game 1 (preseason) an overall grade.

My grade: B

You should maybe give reasons why....pros and cons? Sorry I missed it and I'm hungry for eyewitness info.

First team O= C

Moved the ball, protected well. Should’ve had 3 points.

Bad penalty by James, Tanny missed 1 (possibly two) throws to extend the drive. Otherwise he moved quite well and made good reads.

First team D = D

Gashed by the run and pass by a backup QBs. Little to no pressure AGAIN!!!

Stars

Minka was all over the place
Perry pounded the rock
Joseph hit a long FG
Baker was active and made some nice tackles

Duds

McTyer and Tank seemed to be picked on
Osweiler with 3 passes batted down??
carroo did nothing that I saw to help his case.

Final thought:

I know it’s preseason and it’s vanilla offense and defense, but it’s still the second meh performance in a row (scrimmage). While I’m happy that we pounded the run game and cut down on the penalties, I can’t overcome the eery similarities to seasons past. Defense dominates in practice but disappears in a game. Offense shoots themselves in the foot to stall drives. We’ve just seen this too many times not to be a little concerned.

QB B Brock had to many passes batted down
OL B plus
RB A minus as a group they carried the O much of the game
WR .B overall they showed up Stiils Owasu Forde shined
TE B minus not alot of catches blocking looked OK

DL C no real pressure and got run on to much
LB D minus short middle of the field exposed all night in the passing game. Baker shined some.
Secondary C plus way to many passes caught, just didn't see much competition for the ball tonight. May have been scheme driven by coach Burke
ST C plus looked ok but no game changing plays.

Drafted rookies A plus they all played tonight and made plays on the ball at some point in the game. First time seen that in awhile Baker, Ballage and Minc looked good.

Hard to grade units with so much churning in preseason games, but individually I’ll try:

Minkah - as advertised, intelligent, fast, willing tackler, very special and it showed.

Gesicki - absolutely freakish reciever, was overthrown badly in the endzone, and still jumped about 4 feet in the air to almost snag it. Didn’t whiff badly on any blocks I saw. Like abother poster said, if he fails in the NFL, i will not know why.

Raekwon - didn’t see much of him, and that could be a good or bad thing, someone with more in depth knowledge than I can comment on him.

Baker - his speed shows, made several excellent open field tackles, one forcing a 4th down and punt while 1 on 1 with a reciever.

Ballage - excellent pass blocker, lacked vision but ran hard, you can see he wants to be great but will take some time. He will be a very good 3rd down back this year on his blocking merit alone.

Albert Wilson - made some great catches and got seperation, he was a solid addition.

Danny Amendola - kind of incomplete, I think he only had 2 or 3 targets, 1 being a screen. His value will probably come in tannehill’s chemistry with him which is tough to guage on only 1 drive.

Isiah Ford - most likely made the team tonight, he is a diamond in the rough, id pencil him in as 6th wr, no way he’d make it to the PS and his seperation and ball tracking is too good to go unnoticed.

That’s who I keyed on tonight, looking forward to game 2 once the rooks shake off their nerves and get their live action critique from the coaches. Fun game to watch, glad we’re back!

Isiah Ford - most likely made the team tonight, he is a diamond in the rough, id pencil him in as 6th wr, no way he’d make it to the PS and his seperation and ball tracking is too good to go unnoticed.
_

Yep. Build Ford Tough...the guy has a future in the NFL, no doubt about it.

_

McMillian didn't look healthy to me. Looked tentative. Poor in his run fits. Overran his gaps and left cutback lanes.

Essentially he's still a rookie on the field. A rookie coming back from a serious knee injury. It'll be a process getting back.

McMillian will be on it by week 1 of the regular season...book it.

How did Ford lock up a roster spot tonight because he had 2 catches against 5th string players?

I’ve been wondering for a while if we are over projecting McMillan on here. Every time I read his draft prospect report it sounds to me like he projects as an average starter. Honestly Bakers prospect report looks like there’s more potential based on his athleticism.

Back
Top Bottom