Grade The Game: Preseason Game 1

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by CRIOS, Aug 9, 2018 at 10:29 PM.

?

Grade the first exhibition game

1. A

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. B

41.7%
  3. C

50.0%
  4. D

8.3%
  5. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. CRIOS

CRIOS Formerly: A&O Finheaven VIP Donator

It's not an important measure being that it was only a scrimmage, but, if you like, give game 1 (preseason) an overall grade.

My grade: B

Ikema likes this.
  2. ladeback

ladeback Seasoned Veteran Finheaven VIP

You should maybe give reasons why....pros and cons? Sorry I missed it and I'm hungry for eyewitness info.

sinPHIN likes this.
  3. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

Only 1 injury, could have been a lot worse

crumpdaddy, DolfanDuBbZ~ and Classic like this.
  4. Classic

Classic Well-Known Member

A+

No injuries to any of our starters

GUH-sick-EE likes this.
  5. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 We? What the **** we? Finheaven VIP Donator

Couldn’t see a snap so I’m incomplete.

6. AZStryker

AZStryker Pro Bowler

First team O= C

Moved the ball, protected well. Should’ve had 3 points.

Bad penalty by James, Tanny missed 1 (possibly two) throws to extend the drive. Otherwise he moved quite well and made good reads.

First team D = D

Gashed by the run and pass by a backup QBs. Little to no pressure AGAIN!!!

Stars

Minka was all over the place
    Perry pounded the rock
    Joseph hit a long FG
    Baker was active and made some nice tackles

Duds

McTyer and Tank seemed to be picked on
    Osweiler with 3 passes batted down??
    carroo did nothing that I saw to help his case.

Final thought:

I know it’s preseason and it’s vanilla offense and defense, but it’s still the second meh performance in a row (scrimmage). While I’m happy that we pounded the run game and cut down on the penalties, I can’t overcome the eery similarities to seasons past. Defense dominates in practice but disappears in a game. Offense shoots themselves in the foot to stall drives. We’ve just seen this too many times not to be a little concerned.

7. phintim

phintim Seasoned Veteran

QB B Brock had to many passes batted down
    OL B plus
    RB A minus as a group they carried the O much of the game
    WR .B overall they showed up Stiils Owasu Forde shined
    TE B minus not alot of catches blocking looked OK

DL C no real pressure and got run on to much
    LB D minus short middle of the field exposed all night in the passing game. Baker shined some.
    Secondary C plus way to many passes caught, just didn't see much competition for the ball tonight. May have been scheme driven by coach Burke
    ST C plus looked ok but no game changing plays.

Drafted rookies A plus they all played tonight and made plays on the ball at some point in the game. First time seen that in awhile Baker, Ballage and Minc looked good.

ladeback likes this.
  8. PAphins

PAphins FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Hard to grade units with so much churning in preseason games, but individually I’ll try:

Minkah - as advertised, intelligent, fast, willing tackler, very special and it showed.

Gesicki - absolutely freakish reciever, was overthrown badly in the endzone, and still jumped about 4 feet in the air to almost snag it. Didn’t whiff badly on any blocks I saw. Like abother poster said, if he fails in the NFL, i will not know why.

Raekwon - didn’t see much of him, and that could be a good or bad thing, someone with more in depth knowledge than I can comment on him.

Baker - his speed shows, made several excellent open field tackles, one forcing a 4th down and punt while 1 on 1 with a reciever.

Ballage - excellent pass blocker, lacked vision but ran hard, you can see he wants to be great but will take some time. He will be a very good 3rd down back this year on his blocking merit alone.

Albert Wilson - made some great catches and got seperation, he was a solid addition.

Danny Amendola - kind of incomplete, I think he only had 2 or 3 targets, 1 being a screen. His value will probably come in tannehill’s chemistry with him which is tough to guage on only 1 drive.

Isiah Ford - most likely made the team tonight, he is a diamond in the rough, id pencil him in as 6th wr, no way he’d make it to the PS and his seperation and ball tracking is too good to go unnoticed.

That’s who I keyed on tonight, looking forward to game 2 once the rooks shake off their nerves and get their live action critique from the coaches. Fun game to watch, glad we’re back!

9. CRIOS

_

Yep. Build Ford Tough...the guy has a future in the NFL, no doubt about it.

_

10. TedSlimmJr

TedSlimmJr Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

McMillian didn't look healthy to me. Looked tentative. Poor in his run fits. Overran his gaps and left cutback lanes.

Essentially he's still a rookie on the field. A rookie coming back from a serious knee injury. It'll be a process getting back.

NorFlaFin and phintim like this.
  11. CRIOS

McMillian will be on it by week 1 of the regular season...book it.

12. DefensiveEnd76

DefensiveEnd76 Football Guru

He better be. Our starting defense vs. the run looked like garbage.

13. Classic

How did Ford lock up a roster spot tonight because he had 2 catches against 5th string players?

14. DolfanISS

DolfanISS Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP

I’ve been wondering for a while if we are over projecting McMillan on here. Every time I read his draft prospect report it sounds to me like he projects as an average starter. Honestly Bakers prospect report looks like there’s more potential based on his athleticism.

15. KTDolphins

KTDolphins You have made me angry very angry indeed

Tanny has still got it. We drove all the way down the field for 3.

TedSlimmJr likes this.
  16. ladeback

ladeback Seasoned Veteran Finheaven VIP

That sucks. A lot of posters here figured he'd come in and take charge pretty quick.

17. PAphins

PAphins FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

His 2 catches were back to back, one being a touchdown, the other being a 2 pt conversion end zone fade to take the lead under 2 minutes left to play.

Look past the box score.

Michael Scott likes this.
  18. DolfanDuBbZ~

DolfanDuBbZ~ Avoid the 'Noid

I will wait for the Saturday DVR replay.

But that is really the biggest takeaway. Especially for PS1 game that showcases TC battles but unanswered questions on depth.

Game #3 is the game that gives us a true guesstimation of 2018.

19. Classic

I watched the game, I was more impressed with Owusu tbh

Ikema and kevphin like this.
  20. Spiff

Spiff Starter Finheaven VIP Donator

That's really the bottom line. I hope it will change but if the past is any indication of the future, it won't.

21. Turin

Turin Active Member

Howard had a really bad game. Is he really good in camp cause he covers parker?
    Our dbs, i fear, are way worste than what we think

Carroo doesn t even have a receiving yard? I think his time i mia is over

22. BSQ

BSQ Scout Team Finheaven VIP

Caroo just isn't getting any separation. I think he'll be shown the door. You have to cut bait at some point. We spent a lot of draft capital to get him but it looks like a whiff. We have too many quality receivers to keep hanging on to a guy that can't get open.

23. Jssanto

Jssanto Well-Known Member

I could only listen on the radio. The announcers could not keep the disappointment from their voices with the first defensive series.
    They loved Ballage, until he fumbled.

24. FINatic054

FINatic054 Scout Team

Felt like I was watching much of the same ol same ol. Defense didnt look any different than last year. Couldn't get pressure. Couldn't stop the run. And a subpar passing attack throwing the ball up and down the field. People will say well we dont game plan and we have a very vanilla scheme and this and that but so do other teams including the Bucs. In my opinion I feel like we have the talent so it has to be 1 thing.... coaching. I'm not a fan of Burke. Too inexperienced and just doesn't seem to get the guys in the right position to make plays. I hate to say this but I'd like to see Rob Ryan out there coaching instead of spectating

25. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

Baker was good he needs 1st team reps. Minkah was good. Vincent Taylor might need 1st team reps soon

Manning likes this.
  26. Ikema

Ikema FinHeaven VIP

Really, I don't know what you guys were watching but I saw a completely different team than what I've been seeing during the preseason the past five years. I think you guys are just stuck in the negative

27. Spiff

Spiff Starter Finheaven VIP Donator

First offensive drive: penalty, missed field goal.
    First defensive drive: penalty, allowed a TD.

The team might "look" different but the results so far are not. I don't care if the team can move the ball up and down the field, they have to stop shooting themselves in the foot. The talent across the NFL is pretty levelled. It's the little things that make the difference, like a missed field goal, a missed tackle, a penalty. All this does not happen on every play but it's here and there and then it's too much to overcome. The Patriots have been a powerhouse, not because they have some extraordinary brainpower outsmarting everybode else along the way but because they don't make stupid mistakes. And that's how you win ball games.

28. andyahs

andyahs Bahamian Redneck Finheaven VIP Donator

It's a forum theme.

29. SammySmif

SammySmif Starter

Ford runs some of the cleanest routes on the team. I don’t think his ability to seperate will be an issue against better players. A guy who can’t seperate is Caroo. I think he is done.

Honestly, I think if he stays healthy, Ford ends up playing a lot this season.Stills/Amendola/Wilson/Parker/Grant and Ford are probably our 6. That is my guess.The chances of Amendola/Parker and Stills staying healthy all season are about 0 and I think Ford ends up climbing over Grant on the depth chart as well.

I could be wrong, but I think that’s how it plays out. I guess we shall see.

30. SammySmif

SammySmif Starter

I agree, but our 1st team defense looked godawful. We have to remember that the Bucs have ZERO OL right now and our Dline still could not penetrate. The one positive thing I know is that rating a Dline in preseason can be tough because I don’t know many Dlinemen that go all out in meaningless games, but it still was a bit off a red flag.

Watching the Bucs peel off 17 yard completions that easily was a bit worryisome, but I am hoping it is due to starters not going full bore.

I agree that our offense was a lot different, and looked better. Yes, we did not score the first drive, but we did get a bad holding call and recovered from it to get a FG chance. I also think we have far more weapons at WR than before. Geisiki also looks like a complete monster in the red zone. That ball he almost got was basically impossible for any human to catch and he still got a hand on it.

We have 6 WRs that can compete as well. Plus our starting RBs look legit and we are ok at backup.

Final thing is that our Oline blocked a lot better than prior years.

Last year our offense was so bad that it was nice to see the guys come out moving the chains and playing fast. In the past, just getting a first down was a miracle in itself. This team looks like a lot crisper, considering it is preseason game 1 in early August.

31. BigNastyFish

BigNastyFish A True Fan

not sayin' anything definitive but...

(didn't see the action -- so based on rumors)

geez it would have been positive mojo for the O to take the field (1st possession) and score a TD lookin' highly efficient and effective in the process... Come on Gase -- the only way to win consistently is to score early and often!

wowser... sounds like the loss of Suh was more than evident and... if we get pushed around in the middle it will be a very long season. Maybe our guys were on a bad lunar cycle? Could be shaky ground...

the fact we lost the lead with under a min to play is... sad. I know it's a supposedly meaningless preseason game -- but back in the day with Shula we kicked *** in preseason and I don't think it was an accident... Yea yea. Times have changed. But winning tends to become a habit.

last... not trying to sound the alarm but reports of Thills "inaccuracy" are at least mildly concerning... also, our miracle man in the middle (McMillan) may not be the "instant" stud we've been hyped to believe... again, way too early, but all things considered, it's a LOT better to demonstrate high performance on the field right away as opposed to some theoretical evolution (take Parker, as an example).

32. phintim

phintim Seasoned Veteran

I was afraid of that lots of folks have put alot of faith in this kid to produce quickly like he was a all pro with experience instead of what he is.

superphin likes this.
  33. LANGER72

LANGER72 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Fistpump!!

coalesce, fishfanmiami and TraderJoe like this.
  34. outlawd2u

outlawd2u Pro Bowler

What I saw from the starters on defense was some guys just sort of going through the motions. Someone here said Howard looked bad... well he was playing off coverage which we all know isnt what hes built for, and I didnt exactly see max effort out of him on those plays. This could be concerning, but I'm actually ok with it because if he goes down then we are in trouble at CB. Howard is the least of my worries about this defense though. I wonder how much the lack of gameplanning and studying film led to Raekwon Mcmillain taking false steps and reading the plays improperly.

No injuries to key players makes the game a success as there really isnt much else to evaluate other than some individual efforts from backups and/or open starting gigs. From what I saw though idk how you can keep Baker off of the field. Even if he misreads the play and takes a false step he has the gifts to make up for it with that speed and quickness, and the guy hustles. Roquan Smith did the same thing in college. I saw him many times misread the play, take a false step, figure it out, then fly to the ball and make the play. Well Baker is probably faster than Roquan so he can and will do the same thing. Keep him clean and he will eat all day long. That play where he beat the blocker to the spot on a screen is a play I havent seen from this defense in idk how long.

35. fishfanmiami

fishfanmiami Grip it and rip it Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

I added a poll so we can see what everyone thinks

36. MinnFinFan

MinnFinFan Active Member

You nailed it, I will add field position. Our defense was put in a bad spot at least 3 times.
    Baker looks like a player.

37. TeeMoney

TeeMoney Penny Wise and Dollar Dumb Finheaven VIP

Hard for me to judge these players because I wish so much they were great.