Grading The Rookie Class: | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Grading The Rookie Class:

Charlie Rivers

SUPERBOWL BOUND!!
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
What grade would you give each (active) rook from the 2013 class?

• Dion Jordan
  • James Taylor
  • Dallas Thomas
  • Will Davis
  • Jelani Jenkins
  • Dion Sims
  • Mike Gillislee
  • Caleb Sturgis
  • Don Jones

There are no standouts in that draft, so what do grades matter? Hell, with the exception of the kicker, there's not even a starter in the group as of right now.

We haven't seen much. Let's give it another year.
Sturgis was probably the biggest contributor and he was OK but not great.

this is easy...

jordan c
taylor f (no impact)
d thomas f- (if i could)
will davis f
jelani jenkins c (looked ok when he got run...but didnt show anything high end as a long term every down guy)
dion sims c (looks like a solid developmental in line tight end with little pass catching upside)
mike gillislee f
caleb sturgis c (and i'm being kind)
don jones c (some specials impact)

overall terrible class...now here's the real rub of all those names there's 2 that i see enough of to maybe become true impact players...and that's if they really develop...dion jordan and jamar taylor...the ony two with the potential to be cornerstones

everything else long term is average or worse...

this is easy...

jordan c
taylor f (no impact)
d thomas f- (if i could)
will davis f
jelani jenkins c (looked ok when he got run...but didnt show anything high end as a long term every down guy)
dion sims c (looks like a solid developmental in line tight end with little pass catching upside)
mike gillislee f
caleb sturgis c (and i'm being kind)
don jones c (some specials impact)

overall terrible class...now here's the real rub of all those names there's 2 that i see enough of to maybe become true impact players...and that's if they really develop...dion jordan and jamar taylor...the ony two with the potential to be cornerstones

everything else long term is average or worse...

I agree....Jordan and Taylor have enough Physical gifts that can actually be worked with...

Thomas is a waste; bad bodied, poor footwork, couldn't even crack the lineup that was one of the worst in the NFL...horrible pick.

I'm going to add Brenner, even though he wasn't drafted he was a rookie and did contribute. At least I can see him as a solid back up who can contribute when needed.

These are just based on their rookie performances with relation to draft position and such. This is not how I feel they will be.
Dion Jordan D- Third pick in the draft can't make it on the field over friggin Derrick Shelby. When you have fewer tackles than Jason Trunsick and your the third pick in the draft, that's a bad sign.
Jammar Taylor- F Barely played and couldn't earn playing time with Dmitri glass Patterson missing games.
Dallas Thomas F Two guys basically are gone from team and you cant earn any playing time
Will Davis D- See above
Jelani Jenkins- C-Got a little playing time own the stretch , showed some potential although I don't see him as a future long term starter
Dion Sims D HAd a chance to step up since none of our Te's can block and failed miserably
Mike Gillislee- D 6 rushes 21 yards ouch. Let me see with Danial Thomas on team u couldn't earn playing time
Caleb Sturgis- C- Showed nice leg but missed way too many field goals
Don Jones- B- Was a very good special teams player and for a late draft pick that's a good thing

Overall The class I give a D first year

Dion Jordan - D
Jamar Taylor - F
Dallas Thomas - F
Will Davis - F
Jelani Jenkins - C
Dion Sims - C
Mike Gillislee - F
Caleb Sturgis - D
Don Jones - C

Dion Jordan-C(I think the coaching staff didn't know what to do with him, not his fault)
Jamar Taylor-Inc.(why draft someone in the 2nd round who has a long-term medical issue? Not his fault, but he should've been a 4th rounder and IR'd his rookie year)
Dallas Thomas-F(I had hopes, but they are fading fast)
Will Davis-D(3rd round rookie corners are not usually impact guys)
Jelani Jenkins-C
Dion Sims-C
Mike Gillislee-D
Caleb Sturgis-C
Don Jones-C(I'd give him a B considering he was a 7th round safety transitioning from a small school)

Having said all that, you cant grade a draft until at least after the 2nd year, so this is a bad poll. Go back 2 more years. How many people will look stupid giving out low grades if Wake gets hurt and Jordan puts on 20 lbs and runs up 15 sacks next year? Or if Jamar Taylor miraculously stays healthy all season and starts opposite Grimes? Or Sturgis gets his head on straight next year and wins 3 or 4 close games? I won't go there with Dallas Thomas, I suspect either he or Taylor ends up being the biggest bust of last years draft(every draft has one for each team, no one gets them all right)

It was a bad draft for Ireland for certain reasons, you don't trade up to draft a guy to sit on the bench behind your best defensive player. You don't draft a guy in the 2nd round who cant use anti-inflammatories. You don't trade out of the 3rd round, only to trade back up in order to get a 3rd round small-school cornerback. But I suspect 2 or 3 of these guys end up being okay to good NFL players. They just weren't in the right position or they were drafted much too high.

PSS....I liked the Gillislee pick, and I'm not sure how much of his lack of production was our oline/offensive coordinator or him. It was clear early on that Miller doesn't do much up the middle(oline?) and Sherman wanted Daniel Thomas in the backfield because he was their best blocker to help with a pathetic offensive line.

Dion Jordan - D - 3rd pick, enough said - to be fair i blame coaches for not letting him go out & ball.
Jamar Taylor - F
Dallas Thomas - F
Will Davis - F
Jelani Jenkins - D - LB's were terrible there year, should of seen the field more
Dion Sims - C
Mike Gillislee - F
Caleb Sturgis - D - awful kicker, hopefully replaced next year
Don Jones - C

Dion Jordan C....Credit given for some early impact plays. Ridiculous how the staff went away from him.
James Taylor INCOMPLETE
Dallas Thomas F
Will Davis D....He had no business going this high in the draft. He was so far over his skis when he had a chance.
Jelani Jenkins C....I like what I saw in a small sample set. Smart kid that covers well. He has a chance to help later on.
Dion Sims C...I thought he would do more as a blocker. Showed some soft hands. Not giving up on him.
Mike Gillislee D...He showed a little against the Jets. However, did not get many snaps with a running game that never got going.
Caleb Sturgis C...Great start. Missed some big kicks as his play leveled off. I did not like the pick and they should have gone with a vet.
Don Jones C...Made a HUGE play vs. the Falcons. He showed some on special teams. Can he translate to a back up on defense?

Sam Brenner UFA...B minus...He had some huge moments down the stretch at LG. I do not think he is a starter, but can be a valuable back up.

I have said it many times...judge a class at the end next year and year after.

Dion Jordan - C - I think he will be great
Jamar Taylor - N/A Injured all season, im hopeful if he can get healthy for the entire preseason
Dallas Thomas - F - obvious, tho I do have some sympathy for him as I view him as a guard being played out of position
Will Davis - D - was drafted as a project, was also injured will either be really good one day or utter rubbish
Jelani Jenkins - C thought he was pretty decent
Dion Sims -B- Think we have a long term primary blocking TE, still needs work
Mike Gillislee - F- Did nothing behind 2 bad running backs
Caleb Sturgis -C- up and down but some rookie kickers are, we gave him an awful lot of long kicks to make
Don Jones - A - made the team and made an impact on special teams... what more can you ask from this draft spot? Nobody thought he would even make the roster

Last edited by a moderator:
Based off their rookie production and nothing else I would list them as:

C Dion Jordan: Showed some flashes but not on the field enough to call a playmaker. He has to play more this year.
F James Taylor: Barely played and wasn't noticeable when he did. Need a lot more out of a second rounder
F Dallas Thomas: Rarely even active. Not good for a 3rd rounder
D Will Davis: Like Taylor above but being a 4th rounder gives him a little more slack since he was a project from the beginning
C Jelani Jenkins: Didn't show a nose for the ball but got playing time which is decent value for his draft position
C Dion Sims: Looks to be a good 3rd TE. Not horrible value for his draft slot
C- Mike Gillislee: As Jenkins. Doesn't look to be anything but a bench player though.
D+ Caleb Sturgis: Amazing preseason. Once the going got hard, his accuracy dropped. Still have hope but kickers are fungible and he was over drafted.
B Don Jones: Good value on special teams for the pick. Turned one game around with his forced fumble on a kick off.

Dion Jordan - C
Jamar Taylor - INC
Dallas Thomas - F
Will Davis - D+
Jelani Jenkins - D+
Dion Sims - C
Mike Gillislee - D
Caleb Sturgis - C+
Don Jones - B

Back
Top Bottom