Greatest QB "Let the facts speak for Themselves" | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Greatest QB "Let the facts speak for Themselves"

Dan Marino in Stats by far is the greatest Quarterback to ever play the game. And holds just about every QB stat record there is. But true he never won a superbowl because he never had a running back. Elway a great QB. Montana a great QB. But I dont believe that A superbowl should define a QB. It is a team sport. And like was said before other positions are not defined by SB victories. Get off the Double standard and admit That Dan Was the greatest to ever play as of 7/21/2005.

Favre will have a shot at a few records if he plays a couple more years! But I would have to say he is already a top 5 for sure! Manning on his pace will be there as well!!!!!! Both are class acts. I thought Manning was crazy (lying)when he said he did not want to break the single season rec. for TD's. Then every time he got near the goal line he would call 3 straight run plays from the 10, after the first two did nothing and the pass was killing the D he would call on edge again. He beat it in the play of the game and was not just shooting for it,but really trying to tie it instead. The best season is still Marino's w 5000 yds and 48 TD's! Manning's has to be #2! This kid reminds me of a young Marino.

PHAZINPHINZPHAN said:
Dan Marino in Stats by far is the greatest Quarterback to ever play the game. And holds just about every QB stat record there is. But true he never won a superbowl because he never had a running back. Elway a great QB. Montana a great QB. But I dont believe that A superbowl should define a QB. It is a team sport. And like was said before other positions are not defined by SB victories. Get off the Double standard and admit That Dan Was the greatest to ever play as of 7/21/2005.
I like to call it the "Trent Dilfer" Rule only a complete fool would say Marino couldnt have won a SB with that team....SO just because he couldnt Pass the team to a SB victory doesnt mean he isnt as good or a better QB than these guys that had great complete teams.

PHINZONER said:
It is all started again! This thread is what it always leads to! Everytime Marino get's brought up the HATERS have to try and convince themselves that Marino was not a great QB!

I challenge anybody to read the FACTS I give and still say he is not the best!!! Tell me factually why he is not! Not opinions' as to why, show me what anybody did better than Marino! Do not say SBs' b/c the Pats are a testament to a 53 man roster wins games.

If SB were the deciding factor, then how do you decide among SB winners! Most? Bradshaw! Winning %. Brady? OK, 3 years of good play on a great team, put's you at the top! Then my selection as the greatest RB ever is Terrell Davis. Prove that wrong w/ the theory based on QB! Wait, they both need OL help, need WR to stretch the D. Need a D to keep opp. from scoring. Coaching to put it all together. OC to call the right plays to make it happen. Fact is Marino was a coach, OC, QB, and the ultimate competitor.

I hear from many, after arguing this, that it really boils down to the fact that they just do not like Marino! "He always yelled at the WR's or OL" "It was never his fault"
Well I watched alot of games and post game interviews. Marino took blame, but he expected greatness from everyone on the team!

I remember OJ and a few lineman talking about Marino chewing them out! They all said they hated it, but knew they deserved it. They said they wanted to make sure they did not make the same mistake again! They said they really did not have a prob w/ it, knowing he was right!

It is easy to hate greatness when a guy is on another team! It is funny to hear most Vike fans' and how they hope and believe Moss will just suck. The Vikes were the right system for him and OAK is horrible! How can the so called best WR to ever play the game just suck when he changes teams! Rice is the best ever, Moss will be good this year too. Fans are so fickle this way!

Look at lifetime accomplishment and show me year in and year out who was the greatest qb from 83 on. The name most often on that list will be DAN MARINO!!!

Being great for the longest period of time shows the truth. I put Favre w/ Montana and Elway, over Elway! I went to the Elway retirement gme, I like him! So don't say I hate Elway, I have alot of respect for he and Kelly!
why dig up a thread, months old, only to add the same thing thats alreay in the thread?

and i dont think many would say hes not A great Qb. but the greatest...... no.
but im guessing that you didnt read through all the pages of this thread so ill sum up my position.

the qb position is diffrent than all the other positions on the football field. the greatest DE ever is measured by sacks, hurries, tackles, INTs, years of dominance,... ect. what seperates the QB position is that its the leader position. if a team wins, than the QB lead tem to victory. or if they loose, than the QB lost the game. now befor you bring up the "dilfer" thing, thats diffrent. he was never dominant at his position. and isnt even in the conversation. you have to be dominant at your position to be called the greatest.

so once you get all the qbs together that were dominant during their day, ("during their day" is a HUGE thing to add), then you look at their leadership, victorys in big games, composure, leadership, winning the game for his team, (which i have yet to see brady do. all he did is go 35 yards in the SB, to set up a FG.), and SB wins. SB wins is in their because thats the whole point of the game. QBs as a position are defined by winning, and the SB is the biggest win they can get.

so after all that, im not saying marino is not the greatest because he didnt win the SB. im saying that because he didnt win the SB, his achievments do not place him above other QBs who were just as dominant, and managed to win the big game. its that a little extra that puts other QBs ahead of him.

but then again you could just read the other posts, cus its been argued to death.

ch19079 said:
why dig up a thread, months old, only to add the same thing thats alreay in the thread?

and i dont think many would say hes not A great Qb. but the greatest...... no.
but im guessing that you didnt read through all the pages of this thread so ill sum up my position.

the qb position is diffrent than all the other positions on the football field. the greatest DE ever is measured by sacks, hurries, tackles, INTs, years of dominance,... ect. what seperates the QB position is that its the leader position. if a team wins, than the QB lead tem to victory. or if they loose, than the QB lost the game. now befor you bring up the "dilfer" thing, thats diffrent. he was never dominant at his position. and isnt even in the conversation. you have to be dominant at your position to be called the greatest.

so once you get all the qbs together that were dominant during their day, ("during their day" is a HUGE thing to add), then you look at their leadership, victorys in big games, composure, leadership, winning the game for his team, (which i have yet to see brady do. all he did is go 35 yards in the SB, to set up a FG.), and SB wins. SB wins is in their because thats the whole point of the game. QBs as a position are defined by winning, and the SB is the biggest win they can get.

so after all that, im not saying marino is not the greatest because he didnt win the SB. im saying that because he didnt win the SB, his achievments do not place him above other QBs who were just as dominant, and managed to win the big game. its that a little extra that puts other QBs ahead of him.

but then again you could just read the other posts, cus its been argued to death.

So let me get this straight there Billyboy! You can take a guy like Montana and Elway and say they are better than Brady b/c of a final drive.
Elway could not muster a single 1st down w/o Terrell Davis out w/ a migrane.

Montana had the top ranked defense in all of those Super Bowls'.

I have never heard a DE be rated by ints' or hurries. Sacks and dominance!

Did you read the facts. Do not attack opinions when you have not s#!t to discount the facts.

Marino had fewer great TEAMS! Fewer playoff attempts! Yet he is on the heels as far as production and threw the most consecutive games w/ a TD in post season. Marino carried the Fins. Montana was great but far from having to carry his team. Elway had better players than Miami(LOOK AT THE STATS/pro-bowlers') had. Elway had to do more for Den than Montana needed to for SF! Facts are facts.

I ask if a guy is rated better over a 17 year career soley on 22 playoff games?

22 games define a career mark of 230+ games. 10% of games played define a career! I guess that means TOM BRADY is the best by far!!!!!!!
Brady has done more early in his career than any other qb to ever play the game then. He has 10+years to get a couple more.

After 4 years of play, Brady is the GREATEST?

You need to have a common denominator, not b/c you do not like Marino or Brady. If you argue a point,stick to it. The one you argue puts Brady's accomplisments above all others. 75% of the time he WINS a super bowl. No one is even in the same ball field as that. That puts Brady in Canton and leaves Montana in San Francisco.

I love to hear guys say Montana was a better Qb than Marino, b/c of on field leadership.

Where they on the field? NO

Stephenson said Marino would devise schemes and plays while on the field. He would tell Dan it would not work, Marino basically said forget it and run the play. It worked most of the time he said. Marino was the OC. Montana had argueably the best one ever call a game for him. Not Marino.

Back
Top Bottom