Greatest QB "Let the facts speak for Themselves" | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Greatest QB "Let the facts speak for Themselves"

Montana, Aikman, Elway, Favre, Young, Staubach, Bradshaw, Bledsoe, Cunningham, Garrett, Testaverde, Starr, Unitas, Eli Manning, Ryan Leaf, then Marino

cowboyfrank82 said:
Montana, Aikman, Elway, Favre, Young, Staubach, Bradshaw, Bledsoe, Cunningham, Garrett, Testaverde, Starr, Unitas, Eli Manning, Ryan Leaf, then Marino

Grow up....... :shakeno:

ch19079 said:
If marino was on the bills he WOULD BE the greatest QB in the NFL.
To bad he got stuck with the fins for all those years. :shakeno:
The Bills and 25 other teams should have thought of that before passing him up.

dolfreak said:
I thought Elway was a more complete QB than Marino. He had a play action and was just as tough as anyone in the game today. But Elway had the luxury of a solid running game, Marino didn't. Marino was the greatest passer ever. He can throw it better than anybody. Just Never go by stats when ranking QB's.....if that were the case Manning is on pace to be the "Greatest Ever" when we all know he hasn't won a big game in his entire College-Pro Career . That could change but for now my top 3 are Montana, Elway, Marino.

I NEVER FELT THE NEED TO ARGUE THE POINT MARINO IS THE BEST QB EVER ,I FIGURED IT WAS OBVIOUS:)

I will spend more time in the next 2 days relaying some info I dug up to solidify my point. It was done by what seems to be a Montana fan.

Quick snip.

Elway had 7 Pro Bowl seasons out of Rb's,11 pro bowl seasons out of wr.

Elway's Defense had 9 top 10 rankings during car. Marino 5 Montana 9
Montana 9 of 10yrs w/9ers top 8/ 7 of them in top 3/other 3 yrs(1-8th,1-4th,1-23rd)
Montana had 1 losing season/D ranked 23/Marino's losing season D ranked 24th
Elaway's23rd and 25th

Elway D ranked in btm half of NFL 8 times Marino 11 Montana 1
Elway has 2 losing seasons, Marino 1
Best comeback % based on # of games actually trailing in 4th qtr. Marino#1 Montana #2 Elway #3

Largest avg point comebacks' to achieve victories
Joe 8.1
John 9.6
Dan 12.4
(w/ties in 4th included)
J.M 6.1
J.E 5.0
D.M 6.3(these are figured on info from 90's)( I am working on the rest of the years)

Elway threw 120 less Tds
Sacked

I love Danny but Montana was numero uno, with Danny and Elway in a close tie for second. Yes, Elway has two rings, but you can thank the Broncos running game for that. Did Danny ever have a running game to back him up? Yeck no!

I think that most of us Phins are bias to the fact that dan was the GREATEST EVER...Yes he does hold damn near every record there is. BUT that doesnt make him the greatest ..hes the BEST PASSER to ever play the game and will be forever ..ecspecially with the team he had around him ...compard to these other QB's that had everything running game defence and the fact that dan set these records and everything 18-20 yrs ago in only like his first 5 seasons not like these some of these guys who play for years IN DOMES....like someones else posted the goal of playing football ultimately is to win championships...However with that being said its aTEAMsport and 1 guy alone (marino) cant win it all by himself !!....

Dolphin39 said:
Here are my QB rankings. To me, Superbowl wins should not be a ranking factor.

The top two are a step above everyone else.
1. Dan Marino...the best
2. John Elway...a truly great QB
-------------------------------------
The next level
3. Brett Farve...tough competitor, gutsy
4. Steve Young...had a lot of talent on offense & defense
5. Jim Kelly...This guy had heart and is underated in my opinion.
* Joe Montana...has always been overated in my opinion

I agree

Dolphin39 said:
The next level
3. Brett Farve...tough competitor, gutsy
4. Steve Young...had a lot of talent on offense & defense
5. Jim Kelly...This guy had heart and is underated in my opinion.
* Joe Montana...has always been overated in my opinion

:jawdrop:

Dan is the Best Quarter back on my list

DeBergDelGaizoEricksonFeeleyFiedlerGrieseGrieseHuardJaworskiKosarLucasMarinoMiraMitchellMorrallNortonPedersonRosenfelsSeculesStofaStrockWilsonWoodWoodley

But im a little narrow minded

Btw im pretty sure my list is a bit short but i didnt count anyone with less than one completion as a dolphin and im sure i still missed someone

----------
4 glorious days in 2004

that was kinda ugly so here is the list again

DeBerg
DelGaizo
Erickson
Feeley
Fiedler
Griese
Griese
Huard
Jaworski
Kosar
Lucas
Marino
Mira
Mitchell
Morrall
Norton
Pederson
Rosenfels
Secules
Stofa
Strock
Wilson
Wood
Woodley

It is all started again! This thread is what it always leads to! Everytime Marino get's brought up the HATERS have to try and convince themselves that Marino was not a great QB!

I challenge anybody to read the FACTS I give and still say he is not the best!!! Tell me factually why he is not! Not opinions' as to why, show me what anybody did better than Marino! Do not say SBs' b/c the Pats are a testament to a 53 man roster wins games.

If SB were the deciding factor, then how do you decide among SB winners! Most? Bradshaw! Winning %. Brady? OK, 3 years of good play on a great team, put's you at the top! Then my selection as the greatest RB ever is Terrell Davis. Prove that wrong w/ the theory based on QB! Wait, they both need OL help, need WR to stretch the D. Need a D to keep opp. from scoring. Coaching to put it all together. OC to call the right plays to make it happen. Fact is Marino was a coach, OC, QB, and the ultimate competitor.

I hear from many, after arguing this, that it really boils down to the fact that they just do not like Marino! "He always yelled at the WR's or OL" "It was never his fault"
Well I watched alot of games and post game interviews. Marino took blame, but he expected greatness from everyone on the team!

I remember OJ and a few lineman talking about Marino chewing them out! They all said they hated it, but knew they deserved it. They said they wanted to make sure they did not make the same mistake again! They said they really did not have a prob w/ it, knowing he was right!

It is easy to hate greatness when a guy is on another team! It is funny to hear most Vike fans' and how they hope and believe Moss will just suck. The Vikes were the right system for him and OAK is horrible! How can the so called best WR to ever play the game just suck when he changes teams! Rice is the best ever, Moss will be good this year too. Fans are so fickle this way!

Look at lifetime accomplishment and show me year in and year out who was the greatest qb from 83 on. The name most often on that list will be DAN MARINO!!!

Being great for the longest period of time shows the truth. I put Favre w/ Montana and Elway, over Elway! I went to the Elway retirement gme, I like him! So don't say I hate Elway, I have alot of respect for he and Kelly!

The Marino atrocity thread is talking "CLUTCH"

Marino by the #'s defines clutch!

The best clutch play ever? Answer: Fake spike against the Jets! It is remembered by all and mimmicked by many!!!!!!!!!

There is no doubt Marino was the best. This BS about best "pure passer" and "best QB" is ignorant. I would like someone to tell me what the QB position is supposed to be all about. Going by best QB/Best passer argument, you'd also have to add best running QB, best ball handler, best this, best that. It's junk.
Some people say Elway is better than Marino. Those same people would have never DREAMED of saying that BEFORE Elway HAD Davis and finally, THANKS TO TERRELL won a SB. Elway, throughout his career, looked very average until he got a REAL running game. He even looked average when he had Bobby Humphries when Humphries was healthy and played well.
Montana, like BILL WALSH even said, was a product of a system. Marino was a system.
Some people say that Marino didn't have a good play action fake. HE DID, at one time, have a very good one. Early in his career, he used it more often and quite effectively. But as the years went on, and defenses KNEW the Dolphins couldn't run it, Marino stopped using it as often because it quite frankly didn't matter.
Marino was also one helluva leader and could elevate the play of below average players and make them look like Pro Bowlers at any given time. On the flip side, Elway and Montana (and some others) NEEDED Pro Bowlers to help their cause. Here is something crazy: had Jim Kelly won ONE of the four SBs that they had lost, some people would have the gall to say he was better than Marino. That's how blinded people are by the TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP. When a Super Bowl is won, the TEAM walks off the field as a Super Bowl Champion - not just the QB. It's ridiculous to use Championships as the ultimate guage of greatness for an individual. There is no logic in it. No matter how you add it up. Like I have said before, if that is how you measaure the better QBs, then you would have to say Aikman, Doug Williams, Phil Simms, Trent Dilfer, and many others were better than Marino. If not, you would be a hypocrite.
I could go on and on. It doesn't really matter. The argument will never die. Marino was the best. Is the best. And it will be a long time (if ever) until he is unseated as the best.

Exactly! Shanahan has siad Elway was not ever really "THE MAN" in Denver until he finally got a SB!
Year by year Marino's #'s embarassed Elway and all others!

Figure out the win % in the Orange Bowl where ther was a homefield advantage. Joe Robbie was a perfect stadium! To perfect! No real adv. like so many others. Marino posted wicked #'s there. If only the Fins stayed!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom