Greatest Rival Games of All Time | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Greatest Rival Games of All Time

You are fooling yourselves if you think there is a bigger, more storied, and more intense rivalry tha Ohio State vs. Michigan.

...Pick any period of time between 1900 and 1998 and Ohio State and Michigan are both in the top 10 overall of wins. Amazing. Compare the 20th century win total of OSU and Michigan (671+ 695= 1366) to those of Florida and Florida State (545+ 369= 914) or Alabama and Auburn (713+ 579= 1292) or Army and Navy (579+ 506= 1085), and tell me what the greatest rivalry of the 20th century is...

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Loge/5958/greatest.html

Michigan and Ohio State. For sure in Ohio or Michigan there is nothing like it. I grew up in Toledo,Ohio about 2 miles from the Michigan boarder and it was like a holiday. **** to most people in the area it is every bit as big as Christmas or any other national holiday. Everyone you know is having a party or going to a party. From the time you are born it is treated this way. When you go to elementary school they have Michigan Ohio State day on Friday before the game. They even divide the lunch lines and lunch room at schools I went to. You have to wear your gear and support your team no matter which team it is. Everyone has bigger parties then any of the year and the police set up check points as if it was New Years eve.

Plus it usually decides the Big Ten Championship and both teams have been competitive on a National SCene as long as most people can remember

K-train said:
West Virginia vs. Pittsburgh (The backyard brawl) is a good one.

Not the best (see above) but a good game, I've seen alot of them. Lotta hate on the field:evil:

Brad528 said:
Michigan and Ohio State. For sure in Ohio or Michigan there is nothing like it. I grew up in Toledo,Ohio about 2 miles from the Michigan boarder and it was like a holiday. **** to most people in the area it is every bit as big as Christmas or any other national holiday. Everyone you know is having a party or going to a party. From the time you are born it is treated this way. When you go to elementary school they have Michigan Ohio State day on Friday before the game. They even divide the lunch lines and lunch room at schools I went to. You have to wear your gear and support your team no matter which team it is. Everyone has bigger parties then any of the year and the police set up check points as if it was New Years eve.

I'm sure you've heard this, but its cool ...
http://columbusoh.about.com/cs/historygenealogy/a/ohiomichigan.htm

I like all the big games. Thats what makes college games so fun. I find it the same way for myself and Basketball. NCAA basketball is the shiznit too! I cant think of any team I hate in NCAA football. I have my favorties, but no hates. They are all good.

1) FSU/Miami
See the Orlando Sentinel's recent article on if they played a game between current NFL players who went to these schools. Good article. (big surprise; they are #1 & #2 in the NFL).

2) Ohio St./Michigan
Awesome rivalry and maybe the coolest overall environment (especially in the Big House).

3) Texas/Oklahoma
This one has jumped back up recently as Oklahoma consistently has a top 5 team and Texas fans just can't wait to get one.

4) USC/UCLA
Not that many "great" rivalries out West but this one is very competitive and UCLA has an oustanding offense this year (not to mention the nation's best TE, Mercedes Lewis) the so it will be exciting again.

5) FSU/Florida
This one became a top 5 national rivalry in the 90s when they combined for 3 national championships and knocked each other out of a couple more opportunities.

brech10 said:
1) FSU/Miami
See the Orlando Sentinel's recent article on if they played a game between current NFL players who went to these schools. Good article. (big surprise; they are #1 & #2 in the NFL).

2) Ohio St./Michigan
Awesome rivalry and maybe the coolest overall environment (especially in the Big House).

3) Texas/Oklahoma
This one has jumped back up recently as Oklahoma consistently has a top 5 team and Texas fans just can't wait to get one.

4) USC/UCLA
Not that many "great" rivalries out West but this one is very competitive and UCLA has an oustanding offense this year (not to mention the nation's best TE, Mercedes Lewis) the so it will be exciting again.

5) FSU/Florida
This one became a top 5 national rivalry in the 90s when they combined for 3 national championships and knocked each other out of a couple more opportunities.

I understand you live in Florida, but this is in no way ahead of OSU v Michigan...

brech10 said:
1) FSU/Miami

2) Ohio St./Michigan

3) Texas/Oklahoma

4) USC/UCLA

5) FSU/Florida

Your #1 point, I dont know if that holds true right now. I would say it probably does. But, Ohio State owned the honor of most in NFL a few years back. Then it was ND, and so on. That dont mean much, because every year it fluctuates. Ohio State packed the NFL with 14 two years back. So, they got to be real close to the most in NFL right now. After 06, they will be packing many more in too. But, it's really an irrelevant point.

OSU vs. Michigan is by far the greatest IMO. My personal favorite is Arizona State vs. u of a (one of the oldest). That is biased of course.

Others:
Alabama vs. Auburn (a very close second IMO)
USC vs. Notre Dame
Oklahoma vs. Texas
Army vs. Navy
LSU vs. Ole Miss (back in the day)
Princeton vs. Yale (simply because of age)

4) USC/UCLA

No one in the country but SC and UCLA fans care about this game. I've lived in Southern Ca my whole life and couldnt care less about this game. It shouldnt be in the top 10, let alone the top 5

Back
Top Bottom