Greg Jerman-starting right tackle | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Greg Jerman-starting right tackle

LT and RT are totally different positions. Especially when it comes to $.

Originally posted by Muck

But Clifton plays left tackle. And he is a better player overall.....even after breaking his pelvis.

Yes, but it provides at least a rough figure for what Wade can command. If Clifton is worth 6 years, $32.4 million and a $11 million bonus, Wade can make a credible claim to be worth 5 years, $25 million and a $10 million bonus.

The thought is to get a really goot LT and then move Wade Smith to RT to replace Todd Wade. And honestly, anything that gets Wade Smith out of the LT spot sounds good to me...;o)

Originally posted by phunwin

Yes, but it provides at least a rough figure for what Wade can command. If Clifton is worth 6 years, $32.4 million and a $11 million bonus, Wade can make a credible claim to be worth 5 years, $25 million and a $10 million bonus.

The only reason he can command anything close is because he's a big fish in a little pond this year. :(

My point is, Wade shouldn't be able to claim he's owed similar money to Clifton because A) he plays a less demanding position than Clifton....and B) he's a tier below Clifton as a player. And those two contracts are not indicative of those differences. They are virtually the same.

I agree, Wade's not worth that kind of money. I dodn't think he'll get any better either. I'm all for us looking at RT's in the draft from the 3rd round down.

Ozzy rules!!

Originally posted by Muck

The only reason he can command anything close is because he's a big fish in a little pond this year. :(

My point is, Wade shouldn't be able to claim he's owed similar money to Clifton because A) he plays a less demanding position than Clifton....and B) he's a tier below Clifton as a player. And those two contracts are not indicative of those differences. They are virtually the same.

Did we see Clifton's original proposal or counter?

His negotiation were stalled so that the Packers put the franchise tag on him.

That's what we're looking at with Wade (the original proposal).

What exactly has been offered? What's the middle ground.

"The Dolphins did make a counter offer last week, but the deal didn't include a signing bonus near the $10 million that Wade was seeking."

That doesn't tell us much.

Want to know something about Clifton's deal?

"Jimmy Sexton, Clifton’s agent, was unavailable for comment Tuesday, but indicated last week that his client would be seeking a signing bonus of more than $12 million. While that amount might seem high for a player who has yet to make a Pro Bowl, it is in line with what several of the other top NFL tackles have received."

"The Packers want to sign Clifton to a long-term deal of around $30 million for five years with a $10 million signing bonus. Apparently Clifton's agent wants a bonus of around $13 million and a slightly higher amount for the overall contract."

"It's been speculated the sticking points are signing-bonus money and length of contract. It's believed Sexton is angling for a five-year deal with a signing bonus of about $13 million, which is what St. Louis and Seattle have offered left tackles Orlando Pace and Walter Jones, respectively. Both were designated as franchise players for the third straight year.

The highest signing bonus doled out by the Packers was $12 million to quarterback Brett Favre in 1997."

Before we talk commensurate we need to know the factual numbers because it's obvious that Clifton didn't get what he wanted neither.

Btw....

Enjoying the nervousness of a free agents decision while we're missing 4 starting linemen?

Originally posted by Oboy
LT and RT are totally different positions. Especially when it comes to $.

You got that right. IMO, let Wade entertain whatever he wants and when he gets no offers and comes back, then deal is cut lower. iMO, he's playin' us and i'd play right back. It's a little late now, but i would've told him that here's the deal (whatever it was we offered) but if you don't take it, it will be [substantially] less when you come back. I realize that wade is a decent player but not one that can hold a team hostage for cryin' out loud!!

I'm sure they do.

They just got a starting right tackle for his market value.

Hate to rub it in....:lol:....but your scenario for Todd Wade isn't working out as planned. :lol:

Read the thread title. That's all I got to say about market value.

My gloom for the upcoming season is rising as each free agent signs...............

ELSEWHERE!

Hey, we still got a good defense though. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by PhinPhan1227
The thought is to get a really goot LT and then move Wade Smith to RT to replace Todd Wade. And honestly, anything that gets Wade Smith out of the LT spot sounds good to me...;o)

Spoken like a man who knows what he talkin' about!

If a good LT can be had, then that seems to be an obvious choice.
but then again, Wanny is still the HC!! :cry: :cry: :lol: :D

Back
Top Bottom