Griese is still learning | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Griese is still learning

PatsWin2002

Bringin' it!
Reaction score
I found this snippet in the Sacramento Bee

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/6901898p-7851535c.html

Griese is still learning

Former Denver Broncos quarterback Brian Griese admits to struggling with Miami's playbook now that he's with the Dolphins.
Griese's much-publicized release from the Broncos might have had something to do with his concentration on changing offensive styles.

"I had so many things going on in my head as far as the offense is concerned, I forgot some things and had guys looking at me kind of funny," he said. "It's going to take me a little while to get all the terminology and verbiage right."

Despite starting 51 games for Denver during the last four seasons, Griese is spending extra time on the practice field with the Dolphins. He'll back up starter Jay Fiedler.

Like I said before... Griese wont be ready to lead this team this year when season starts... That's why Fiedler is the starter..

Same quotes, different slant. There was I believe it was a Sun Sentinel or maybe Miami Herald article which was formed around those quotes, about Griese learning the offense and stuff.

The Sacramento Bee has concentrated on the slant that Griese is having trouble learning the offense.

The Sun Sentinel, along with other quotes from Brian and from Dave Wannstedt and Norv Turner, showed that Griese was doing pretty darn good for only having received the playbook a week or so before his first action. What the Sacramento Bee doesn't point out (I'm sure to the delight of Patriots fans) is that Norv Turner said Griese ran like 50 some odd plays and got the calls right on all except one, only having to repeat one play. Griese himself said that he just has to get used to the verbiage, because in the huddle is where he was making mistakes, calling a route like he use to call it in Denver rather than how it should be called in Miami. Norv labels his routes with numbers, Shanny used names. But Griese said specifically that the only problem he had was in the huddle calling the play to his teammates, once he lined up, he knew what the play was and where to go.

Believe it or not that little article has a powerful statement......it should squash any kind of QB contrevarsey.

He has been here what 2-3 weeks? I don't expect him to learn it all that quickly.

Originally posted by PhinPhan1227
Unless Jay goes down in the 1st couple of games, this is a non-issue

You took the words right out of my mouth. Jay is DA MAN this year. Next year MAY be a different story.

CKP is right, that same quote was used in a Sun-sentinel or Miami Herald article about a week ago. He was having trouble learning the playbook in his SECOND day with the team. This is old news, who knows how well he is doing right now.

I don't care if Griese knows the system since the only time he will see the field will be the preseason.

Originally posted by muddaconch
CKP is right, that same quote was used in a Sun-sentinel or Miami Herald article about a week ago. He was having trouble learning the playbook in his SECOND day with the team. This is old news, who knows how well he is doing right now.

Maybe that's how long news takes to travel to Sacramento......

The article is dated as "Published 2:15 a.m. PDT Sunday, June 22, 2003" so I thought it was worth posting.

I was also hoping I'd win something if I was the one-millionth person to start a Griese thread :D.

Could be, I just thought it was funny that the same quote, used out of context, was used to show that Griese is "having trouble" in one paper while in another paper the quote is used in context to say that Griese is doing pretty good for it only being like his 1st week on the job, executing all but one of like 50 calls made on the sidelines.

You can't even spell his name right. Since the dol-fish blow, what happened when we played the raiders this year? Oh that is what I thought. As much as you want Gruden to still be your coach, sorry he is gone. He was busy stomping the Raiders in the Superbowl!

Back
Top Bottom