Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Andrew Goodenough

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dustin Long

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Josh Haldi

Votes: 3 2.5%

• Total voters
Saban liked Brock Berlin when he came in for a visit. so if he signs an UDFA QB my guess is it would be him.

I'm biased, but I hope they give Allen a shot. He's very accurate, has good, but not great arm strength, and he's tough. He helped start a program from scratch. He got absolutely killed in the Owls first 2 years, but he stuck with it and was a major reason the Owls became one of the top 4 D-IAA teams in the nation in their third season. As the level of compeition got higher, he got better, beating 3 D-IA teams in the Owls transition year last year(Chang's Hawaii team, Sun Belt conference champ North Texas, and Middle Tennesse State). At the least, I think he'll make a reliable back up in the NFL.

I cant believe Chang is leading the poll. I have not heard on positive thing about him from a reputable source. All I have heard is his stats are inflated and he has no tools.

beejay05 said:
I cant believe Chang is leading the poll. I have not heard on positive thing about him from a reputable source. All I have heard is his stats are inflated and he has no tools.

Timmy ChangPosition: Quarterback
clear.gif
College: HawaiiHeight: 6-1Weight: 194Hometown: Waipahu, Oahu, Hawaii
OVERVIEW

Timmy was a four-year starter for the Warriors who flourished in their wide-open passing attack. He went on to rewrite numerous school, Western Athletic Conference and NCAA Division I-A passing and total-offense records during his career, establishing most of Hawaii's records by his 20th game as a collegian. … Chang was a local product who starred at St. Louis (Honolulu) High School, where he earned three letters each in football and basketball. He was selected a prep All-American by eight major organizations and publications, as he completed 491 passes for 8,115 yards and 114 touchdowns in his three-year career, including 64 scoring passes as a senior, one short of the national high school record. He finished his career ranked sixth nationally all time in touchdown passes and 21st all time in passing yards. Chang was also a four-year honor student with a 4.3 grade point average as a senior. … Chang started nine of 10 games as a freshman at Hawaii. He was named Western Athletic Conference Freshman of the Year, as he broke eight school passing records and tied another. He became the eighth player in school history to pass for more than 3,000 yards in his career, as he led the conference in passing yards (3,041) and total offense (299.8 ypg). He completed 245 of 469 passes with 19 touchdowns and 19 interceptions in 2000. … Started the first three games of the 2001 season before injuring his right wrist in the fourth quarter vs. Rice. The injury would sideline him for the remainder of the season. Prior to the injury, Chang was averaging 366.1 yards per game passing (83 of 140 attempts for 1,100 yards) with six touchdowns and six interceptions. … Became the team's all-time passing leader in just his 20th game with the Warriors. The second-team All-WAC choice led the conference and finished fourth in the country in total offense (318.4) in 2002, as he started every game. Threw for a career-high 4,474 yards on 349 of 624 passing (55.9 percent) with 25 touchdowns, but also threw 22 interceptions. … Chang would earn All-WAC honorable mention in 2003, as he set 20 more school records. Started 11 games, but was benched towards the end of the season. Chang finished with 353 completions in 601 passes (58.7 percent) for 4,199 yards, 29 touchdowns and 20 interceptions, ranking sixth in the nation with an average of 318.4 yards per game in total offense. … The 2004 season would see Chang etch his name in the NCAA record books as college's all-time passing and total offense leader. Prone to throwing interceptions in the past, he set a school record with a string of 178 consecutive passes without an interception. Ranked third in the nation with an average of 328.7 yards per game in total offense. The first-team All-WAC choice connected on 358 of 602 passes (59.5 percent) for 4,258 yards, 38 touchdowns and only 13 interceptions. … For his career, Chang completed 1,388 of 2,436 passes (57.0 avg) for 17,072 yards, 117 touchdowns and 80 interceptions, breaking the old NCAA Division I-A all-time records of 1,231 completions in 1,883 attempts by Kliff Kingsbury of Texas Tech (1999-2002), 15,031 yards by Ty Detmer of Brigham Young (1989-91) and 73 interceptions by Mark Herrmann of Purdue (1977-80). Only Ty Detmer (121) had more touchdown passes in NCAA history. … Gained over 4,000 yards in total offense three times, tying Detmer's NCAA record. He participated in 2,610 plays, breaking the old NCAA career record of 2,156 by Kingsbury. His 17,183 yards in total offense broke the previous NCAA record of 14,465 by Detmer.

ANALYSIS

Chang is a lean, but athletic passer with a very quick release. He is at his best in the underneath passing game, but needs to do a better job of setting his feet. He operates mostly out of the shotgun and has inconsistent mechanics and rarely employs the same throwing motion. Chang has the ability to recognize coverages, but is a marginal progression reader who carries the ball too low when on the move and this effects his accuracy. When he sets his feet in the pocket, he throws a tight spiral with good velocity. But when he tries to throw on the rollout, his balls sail or skip to the receiver. … He has the speed and balance to avoid the pass rush and buy time and will step up in the pocket, but will get a little antsy and not let the routes finish before putting the ball away and running with it. He has adequate arm strength to throw deep, but routinely makes his receivers adjust downfield. Chang plays with poise, but will flush too early and spends too much time locking on to his primary target rather than scan the field. He has a quick flick to release the ball, but his delivery and touch are erratic. Too often, Chang will force the ball into traffic, as he rarely seems to check down. While his release is quick, he just seems to lack solid throwing techniques (will release from the hips too much). … Because he is under constant pressure, he does not spend much time reading the defenses and can be fooled by disguised coverages. When this happens, he tries to rely on his foot speed and will either roll out and throw the ball up for grabs or leave the pocket too early and try to run with the ball. Timmy has good timed speed and shows athleticism running with the ball. He does a good job of securing the ball before running from pressure, but shows marginal accuracy throwing on the move. … Maturity issues arose in the past and he has been benched several times for ineffective play. He is a decent worker, but lacks the leadership skills and seems to shy away from the spotlight. He does not have great command in the huddle, and while he can throw the ball deep, lacks accuracy and touch. He will elude pressure with his lateral slide, but does not square his shoulders consistently to throw on the run. His frame might not be strong enough to withstand punishment at the NFL level, but he has little room to add more bulk. … Operating out of the shotgun, it is difficult to see if he has the foot quickness to drive away from center to get to his set point. In limited chances to see him line up under center, he looks like he drifts in the pocket. He might be better suited playing north of the border in Canada or in the Arena League. Chang could stick as a backup in the NFL, but he would have to operate in a West Coast offense, so not to expose his accuracy problems with the deep ball.

INJURY REPORT

2001 -- Suffered a right wrist ligament injury in the third game of the season vs. Rice (9/29) and was granted a medical redshirt.

2002 -- Played most of the season with a broken pinky … Suffered a knee sprain that forced him to the sidelines (returned later in the game) vs. Cincinnati (11/23).

2004 -- Suffered a left shoulder sprain in the San Jose State game (10/23) … Sat out most of the fourth quarter of the Idaho game (11/20) when he re-injured his left shoulder … Again hurt his left shoulder in the Northwestern game (11/27) when he was pushed into the metal bench, sitting out one play before returning.

AGILITY

4.81 in the 40-yard dash … 285-pound bench press … 420-pound squat … 31 7/8-inch arm length … 9½-inch hands … Right-handed.

HIGH SCHOOL

Attended St. Louis (Honolulu) High School … Earned three letters each in football and basketball … Selected as an All-American by eight major organizations and publications, as he completed 491 passes for 8,115 yards and 114 touchdowns in his three-year career … Finished his career ranked sixth nationally all time in touchdown passes and 21st all time in passing yards.

Passed for 64 touchdowns as a senior, one short of the national record … Named C. David Baker National Prep Football Player of the Year by the Dick Butkus Football Network.

PERSONAL

Business major … Son of Mary Ann and Levi Chang … Born Oct. 9, 1981 in Honolulu, Hawaii.

There now you know about him.

godfater21 said:
The 2004 season would see Chang etch his name in the NCAA record books as college's all-time passing and total offense leader.

That isn't an "inflated" stat, lol

As long as Chris Rix isnt the choice I dont really care....lol Chris Rix has more physical ability than just about any QB in this draft.....The problem is mentaly he is equal to a SLUG!!!

Fins2theend said:
As long as Chris Rix isnt the choice I dont really care....lol Chris Rix has more physical ability than just about any QB in this draft.....The problem is mentaly he is equal to a SLUG!!!

Drafting Rix would be "pulling a Rix" :lol:

Back
Top Bottom