"Gurley" at #14 - this is your trade down late teens | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"Gurley" at #14 - this is your trade down late teens

I wish we improved the 0-line because any RB prospect my be disappointing with this o-line.
Jesus, you'd think we had the worst line in the history of football last year with all the panic. The line was fine (better be with all the goddamn picks and money invested) until injuries. That is a depth problem, not a talent problem and any GM worth a damn can obtain depth in later rounds and FA. We need one starting OG and he certainly doesn't have to be an all-pro.

Not to mention a RB of Gurley's caliber improves the line by forcing the defense to account instead of lining up in kill the QB mode every down.

---------- Post added at 09:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 AM ----------

As posted earlier, Gurley is expected to be ready around the start of the season but, not expected to be at full strength until next year. Does that not bother anyone?

Did he hop in a time machine and treat with an ortho in the 80's? I'd have to question his intelligence if he did that, discovering time travel notwithstanding.

As posted earlier, Gurley is expected to be ready around the start of the season but, not expected to be at full strength until next year. Does that not bother anyone?

He would share carries with Miller this season anyways so I'm not worried about that. Miller would be a free agent next season so we would already have his replacement under contract and at full strength.

I'm so tired of Gurley threads

On the contrary I can't get enough of them. Would really make my year if he ends up a Dolphin the last time we had a running back with his talent was Ricky. The last time we were any good was with Ricky. I've been scouting Gurley since his JR year of high school, and always knew he'd turn out to be a monster. We lack a running back on our roster that refuses to be tackled for a loss the way Gurley does. I mean even when you think you have him wrapped up he's busting forward. If he somehow falls to us at 14, and we trade back I'll be utterly disappointed at the fact we just let the next AP go.

I put Gurley in quotes to
Piss Off the grammar police

Got an issue?

There is an issue here. Some have nothing to post on football but, can correct grammar and spelling. They should be allowed their "day in the sun" of posting something, no matter how meaningless it may be. :)

I'm happy Gurley checked out healthy. That's one more top echelon player we could use and who might push a better prospect down.

I'd still go Scherff, Parker, Waynes and hen Shelton. If Cooper or White drop they would obviously be in the mix as well (Cooper top for me). But if all of those guys are gone and we get no decent trade back options ... I'm fine with Gurley at 14.

The thing is thought that you would then need to prioritize powerful guards to make him work as a Miami threat. His entire game works off of the very real threat of running up the middle, and we have proven that our guards get totally dominated by the Jets and Bills ... so Gurley doesn't really help us much without good guards.

Unfortunately, there is only one guard in the draft that can play our scheme and possesses the power and technique to make Gurley or for us ... Brandon Scherff. An if we draft Gurley, that means we do not get Scherff.

So either we roll with another developmental prospect and hang Philbin and Lazor out to dry, which means we blow everything up and bring in an entirely new staff next year that will churn 80% of the roster over 2 years. Or, we mortgage future draft picks and pay a premium with a scorched earth policy to make Gurley work this year.

I don't see the former happening unless Tannenbaum does a massive Fyoo to everyone else in the front office. And I'm very much hoping we don't mortgage the future.

So all in all, Gurley at #14 really should be a last resort for us. That's my $0.02 on it ... and I like Gurley as a prospect. But I see him ending up on a team like Houston or Baltimore rather than Miami.

Jesus, you'd think we had the worst line in the history of football last year with all the panic. The line was fine (better be with all the goddamn picks and money invested) until injuries. That is a depth problem, not a talent problem and any GM worth a damn can obtain depth in later rounds and FA. We need one starting OG and he certainly doesn't have to be an all-pro.

Not to mention a RB of Gurley's caliber improves the line by forcing the defense to account instead of lining up in kill the QB mode every down.

---------- Post added at 09:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 AM ----------

Did he hop in a time machine and treat with an ortho in the 80's? I'd have to question his intelligence if he did that, discovering time travel notwithstanding.

I'm a Sci-Fi fan but, you lost me here?

He would share carries with Miller this season anyways so I'm not worried about that. Miller would be a free agent next season so we would already have his replacement under contract and at full strength.

This X 1,000

Gurley at 80% is more imposing that Miller at 100%. And when Miller's contract is up next season, if he asks for anything other than a fair deal for a backup let him go and insert 100% Gurley to carry the load.

And who knows, maybe he has an AP type recovery and breaks out for rookie of the year

This X 1,000

Gurley at 80% is more imposing that Miller at 100%. And when Miller's contract is up next season, if he asks for anything other than a fair deal for a backup let him go and insert 100% Gurley to carry the load.

And who knows, maybe he has an AP type recovery and breaks out for rookie of the year

How can any fan, who watches the Phins, possibly say that Miller should be looking for a contract as a backup?

He was top 10 of all rb's in the NFL in yards, average, and TD's. Did you bother to watch or, at least read, what he did last year? I know you have computer access. Using it would be a good thing. :)

It doesn't take nearly 2 years to recover fully from an ACL tear like it once did (if they recovered at all in old timey times). He'll be fine.

Gotcha but, that is what "today's doctors" are saying, although they may have time traveled from the 80's, and not known what they know today, which is it will take a year to get back to 100%.

There was a RB from Oklahoma St several yrs back who kept Barry Sanders on the bench. He was a projected to be a 1st rd pick, but a knee injury dropped him into round 2. He played the rest of his career with a chip on his shoulder because he felt slighted by those teams that passed on him. He was elected into the HOF a couple of yrs ago
He was also a Dolphin killer for much of his career and I hated him because he was so ****y everytime they would beat our Phins. I wont even mention his name.

As I've said before. AP set a record for pace at 9 months after his ACL to have a great year. That is the fastest you can expect Gurley back which is late August. Missing all of camp and preseason. For a rookie that is time needed. Gurley won't help until October once he gets comfortable with his knee and the playbook. If you are ok with waiting a few months you take him

Back
Top Bottom