Haha read what Lee Evans said about Jamar Fletcher | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Haha read what Lee Evans said about Jamar Fletcher

Fletcher didn't make Collage Football top 100 players ever list for nothing.

Actually he did make a list of top college players of all time. I think he actually made the top 100. He was a truly dominant college CB.

Honestly I believe the phins ruined him by having him step into a bad situation. So much of being a CB is having a short memory and having confidence and desire etc. When he came out of college he thought he was the next Deion Sanders, and said so on occasion. He publicly stated that he'd shoot to make the pro bowl in 4 of his 5 first seasons in the NFL and said he knows he can do it cuz he's that good. So what do the Dolphins do? Draft him and place him behind two All-Pros that have huge long term contracts. Jamar never saw the light at the end of the tunnel here in Miami. I doubt he had much incentive to work hard, and overall I think the situation just depressed/oppressed him. It would take a certain mentality to be able to step into the kind of situation he did and go ahead and become the ideal nickel CB...and I don't believe, from seeing his stuff in college and things he has said, that he had that mentality.

You could sense it on draft day and in his immediate reactions to being drafted. He tried to put a good face on things, but he was very disappointed that he was to be a Dolphin and only a career nickel corner.

I honestly don't know if he'll be able to get back on track now and become the pro he could have been. And yes, Jamar is best suited for zone because he doesn't have the stature, speed, or ability to jam that we like/need in our CBs. It doesn't matter what he played in college.

Originally posted by ckparrothead

Actually he did make a list of top college players of all time. I think he actually made the top 100. He was a truly dominant college CB.

Honestly I believe the phins ruined him by having him step into a bad situation. So much of being a CB is having a short memory and having confidence and desire etc. When he came out of college he thought he was the next Deion Sanders, and said so on occasion. He publicly stated that he'd shoot to make the pro bowl in 4 of his 5 first seasons in the NFL and said he knows he can do it cuz he's that good. So what do the Dolphins do? Draft him and place him behind two All-Pros that have huge long term contracts. Jamar never saw the light at the end of the tunnel here in Miami. I doubt he had much incentive to work hard, and overall I think the situation just depressed/oppressed him. It would take a certain mentality to be able to step into the kind of situation he did and go ahead and become the ideal nickel CB...and I don't believe, from seeing his stuff in college and things he has said, that he had that mentality.

You could sense it on draft day and in his immediate reactions to being drafted. He tried to put a good face on things, but he was very disappointed that he was to be a Dolphin and only a career nickel corner.

I honestly don't know if he'll be able to get back on track now and become the pro he could have been. And yes, Jamar is best suited for zone because he doesn't have the stature, speed, or ability to jam that we like/need in our CBs. It doesn't matter what he played in college.

Bad situation? In my eyes he couldn't have stepped in to a better one. He had 2 all pros to learn from. Pat was drafted with the same situation, and from his play he made t-buck expenable. If he would have amounted to anything Sam would have been the one that didn't get a contract this off season. With injuries, and the chances he got to play nickel his first couple years he was given many chances to take Sam's job, but didn't have what it takes. Who knows if he needs to play zone, but I do know the Dolphins play the same style D that he played at Wisconsin, and he couldn't cut it, so who is to say he would excell at a different style.

Bad situation? In my eyes he couldn't have stepped in to a better one. He had 2 all pros to learn from. Pat was drafted with the same situation, and from his play he made t-buck expenable. If he would have amounted to anything Sam would have been the one that didn't get a contract this off season. With injuries, and the chances he got to play nickel his first couple years he was given many chances to take Sam's job, but didn't have what it takes. Who knows if he needs to play zone, but I do know the Dolphins play the same style D that he played at Wisconsin, and he couldn't cut it, so who is to say he would excell at a different style.

Like I said it takes a certain mentality and Jamar didn't have it. To be fair though when Surtain was drafted T-Buck was older than Madison was when Jamar was drafted (tho not by much) and he was not playing at the pro bowl level that Madison or Surtain were playing at when Jamar was drafted. He also had been bounced around the league and was known as a gambler and Miami got him at a bargain price, so his roster spot was nowhere near as safe as Madison's and Surtain's at the time our nickel CB was drafted. T-Buck also was set to be a free agent within like a year or two of Surtain's drafting. Both Surtain and Madison were signed something like for the next 4 or 5 years when Fletcher was drafted in 2001. So Surtain had a right to be a little more hopeful about his eventual starting gig than Jamar. But you gotta think Surtain was also not as heralded as Jamar...he was a diamond in the rough type I think. Jamar was a star, the most productive CB in college football at the time. Different mentalities.

Its one thing to realize you have an opportunity to learn from the best. Its another thing to realize you'll be learning from the best for the next 4 or 5 years while they take up the starting jobs and you wallow away as a career nickel CB.

Its one thing to realize you have an opportunity to learn from the best. Its another thing to realize you'll be learning from the best for the next 4 or 5 years while they take up the starting jobs and you wallow away as a career nickel CB.

Excellent point. The trade was the best thing for Fletcher, us, and SD. He will get a chance to start, we got a solid WR, and SD got rid of a player they considered a lockerroom cancer and picked up a potentially good CB. This was a win-win situation on all fronts. Though, I still feel that the Chargers were fools for not giving him one more year. Of course, I am not upset at that fact.

Originally posted by DOLPHAN1
he is better suited to a zone oriented D. he struggled in our predominantly man coverage. he was mis-cast in our D.

Dont get me wrong I love ricky but it still makes me cry we passed on Bennet after the Mcalister fiasco and grabbed Fletcher.:cry:

Like I said it takes a certain mentality and Jamar didn't have it. To be fair though when Surtain was drafted T-Buck was older than Madison was when Jamar was drafted (tho not by much) and he was not playing at the pro bowl level that Madison or Surtain were playing at when Jamar was drafted. He also had been bounced around the league and was known as a gambler and Miami got him at a bargain price, so his roster spot was nowhere near as safe as Madison's and Surtain's at the time our nickel CB was drafted. T-Buck also was set to be a free agent within like a year or two of Surtain's drafting. Both Surtain and Madison were signed something like for the next 4 or 5 years when Fletcher was drafted in 2001. So Surtain had a right to be a little more hopeful about his eventual starting gig than Jamar. But you gotta think Surtain was also not as heralded as Jamar...he was a diamond in the rough type I think. Jamar was a star, the most productive CB in college football at the time. Different mentalities.

Don't think it was an excellent point. 2 Years after the draft he could have stepped in and taken Sam's job if he proved his worth. Sam played pretty bad last season, and if Jamar proved in the 6 or so games he started that he could handle it would have replaced him last year. Pat looked at the 2 guys ahead of him a chance to prove how good he was, and Jamar used it as an excuse to why he couldn't get in. Both Sam and Pat missed enough games for Jamar to have a chance, and he gave up multiple TDS in every game except the San Deigo game. It shows he didn't have the heart and or passion for the game to be great. Steve Young went to the 49ers pretty late in his career to back up what many consider to be the best QB of all time what did he do? Waited for a chance then stole the job from a local hero. That is the heart of a champion. Jamar showed the heart of a chump, and looked like one when he got on the field.

Originally posted by 4THand10
Fletcher another 1st round BUST by the Dolphins.
Even when Fletcher filled in for Madison 2 years ago he proved he was a bust.
JF was a doomed pick for the time it was announced. Just about every fan hated the pick so anytime he was not perfect the fans were all over him, and sometimes when he did a good job. The fans never gave JF time, they hated him from the beginning, so there was no chance for success unless he played the CB spot like Deion.

JF played better then most will give him credit for. Every CB will give up a completed pass, but when it happened to JF the fans booed.

JF will be a decent CB in the right system. He was just not cut out for Miami's and I do not blame him for that. Wanny/Speilman are to blame for that one. They should have never considered him especially at that spot, and especially with Chambers still one the board with a greater need at WR. As for drafting a CB in the 1st, Smoot was the better prospect at that point and would have made a much better 3rd CB.

Originally posted by Dajesus

Agree. JF was set up for failure. Was it a surprise that teams picked on him all the time with Madison and Surtain also on the field and with the fan base already hating him, it was no surprise he lost his confidence and started playing scared.

Back
Top Bottom