Haskins | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Haskins

Say what you will, but we screwed the pooch for passing on this guy.

Mark my words, we screwed up by signing Fitzpatrick. He is going to play well throwing to Stills, Wilson, Parker, Drake and Gesicki......and he'll likely land us 6 wins and the 13th pick in the draft again. We are going to have to mortgage the farm to move up to get our guy next year.

We could have drafted Haskins and kept every pick for the next 2 years and littered our team with fresh talent. I can't believe he fell to us and we passed. We are going to be kicking ourselves for a decade.

I know we need DL and OL very very badly, but when someone falls in your lap you gotta take him!
I feel like Ross will stop at nothing behind the scenes to ensure this is a terrible season. 4-12, baby

You're all right. I dont think Haskins was a sure bet, I get we have a plan, I think Wilkins is going to be a stud.

But I'm tired of sucking. And we will always be an average team until we find our franchise QB. And we can't find him until we draft a QB. Which means we need to actually DRAFT a QB.

I would take Will Grier in the 3rd and let him compete. No QB is a guarantee but we need to bring QBs in to compete. No way Fitz leads us to picking outside of the top 10 next year so we take a QB in the 1st then.

You're all right. I dont think Haskins was a sure bet, I get we have a plan, I think Wilkins is going to be a stud.

But I'm tired of sucking. And we will always be an average team until we find our franchise QB. And we can't find him until we draft a QB. Which means we need to actually DRAFT a QB.
Agreed but just drafting a QB to say we drafted a QB is not the answer.

I mean drafting a guy for the sake of drafting a guy just doesn’t make much sense.

Hoping a guy slides to you is not having much faith that he is your guy. Funny enough had Miami given up picks to move up for Haskins . . . .I’d feel better about that being their guy . . . Watching him fall to us and then us passing means we did not have the conviction needed to make him the option as our future potential franchise QB.

What I don't get is the assumption that every team that finishes worst than us next season will be a quarterback needy team. Arizona off the board, Giants off the board, Washington off the board. Even if we pick at 13 again who are these 3 teams that will jump us. For the 3 quarterbacks that should be available Tua, Herbert, and Fromm that could be argued all could of been #1 overall this year. All is speculation and will continue to be, bottom line if we want a quarterback next year we get him. Flores passed on two this year along with a lot of other teams, so one can positively say they aren't who he wants to build his team around.

This season will have the same outcome if we kept status quo. No results. But you had to scorch the earth, to grow a garden I guess.

Just take a vacation for just 1 more year. Its nice.

I like that the Dolphins stuck to their plan and didn't get distracted by the shiny object. With the way the first round played out, the asking price for Rosen, if the team is truly interested in him, just became affordable. Drafting a QB just to say you drafted one is not a sound strategy. Look at the history of reaches in the first round and then the busts that followed.

I liked Haskins but I did not love him enough to want him drafted by the Dolphins. He had one year of experience on a loaded team. Sure he put up some impressive stats but he also had flashes when his inexperience and weaknesses were exposed. If the Dolphins were in a position where they were 100% convinced he was their QB of the future and they could let him sit for a year while they continue to build the trenches, it may have been a good move. But I don't think he was so they did the smart thing and stuck to their strategy. Only time will tell. I am not one to throw out the "we have always sucked and we will continue to suck" because of one draft pick. Other teams that could have used a QB also passed on him so that backs up the Dolphins decision.

Haskins had one good year where he threw to wide open receivers in a clean pocket. No pressure, no adversity, no tight windows, nothing. All he proved is he can throw the football in perfect circumstances, and which quarterback can't?

We're not the only team that passed on him. What does that say? We got a great player in Wilkins who is a high character guy and very smart and on top of it he's a great leader. I'm very happy we're sticking to the plan.

I really like Wilkins, but ignoring the QB position with all but the number one prospect off the board is a big gamble for this team. In many ways, the Wilkins pick seems safe and even laudable, and sets the tone for what the new FO is looking for out of their prospects. These are very positive things, but if they do not get their QB this year, they are taking a huge gamble that next year or the following year their QB is going to be on the board, healthy, and within their reach. What if the QB they have targeted doesn’t declare, gets seriously injured or shows significant decline this season? What if several other teams are in the market with better draft capital and leapfrog Miami?

Fans seem to think that because the “class” is going to be better overall, that Miami is going get exactly who they want without any issue, and since the “class” is supposedly better, that a QB picked next year is a can’t miss. There is no evidence to support any of those positions. In fact, the other teams passing this year may well indicate there will be significant competition trying to land a QB next year.

I don’t believe that Miami should pick a guy they don’t believe in or shouldn’t pick BPA, but in the last two years, they have passed on first round QB talent in favor of a safety and a DT and are being led by Ryan Fitzpatrick. Wilkins is indeed a huge gamble.

Remember that time we passed on Drew Brees, and Aaron Rodgers and Matt Ryan? Gotta draft em when they fall into your lap. And keep doing it until you get one...DT’s don’t win Super Bowls...

What I don't get is the assumption that every team that finishes worst than us next season will be a quarterback needy team. Arizona off the board, Giants off the board, Washington off the board. Even if we pick at 13 again who are these 3 teams that will jump us. For the 3 quarterbacks that should be available Tua, Herbert, and Fromm that could be argued all could of been #1 overall this year. All is speculation and will continue to be, bottom line if we want a quarterback next year we get him. Flores passed on two this year along with a lot of other teams, so one can positively say they aren't who he wants to build his team around.

There are several teams that may be in the market next year: Oakland, Denver, Miami, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, New England, Tampa, and Baltimore are just a few that spring to mind from the AFC alone. Some of these teams will be looking for a replacement for aging starters, and some are currently using journeyman, while Baltimore is experimenting with a project that I believe will bust next season. Still, just because someone drafted a QB this draft doesn’t preclude them picking a new QB in the first round next season, as AZ proved last night.

I cannot understand the smugness fans have that the QB of their dreams is just going to fall into their laps next draft.

Back
Top Bottom