Hayden Fox Assessment: W6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hayden Fox Assessment: W6

Hayden Fox

Is it Sunday yet?
Club Member
Reaction score
Positives

• Even TO differential. I would normally want this in the “plus category”, but between a backup QB and a great Bears defense coming out even in this game is a positive.

• The offense was 8-17 on 3rd down.

• Won TOP 36:35 to 33:25.

• Miami was 5.2 per rush.

• 8.6 per pass attempt.

• 541 total yards.

• 23 total 1st downs for the offense.

• Brock Osweiler. What a day. 28/44, 380 yards, 3 TD’s, 2 INT’s and rating of 94.9. Osweiler was in such command especially at the LOS. He utilized his TE’s well and got the ball to his playmakers. Love hearing his leadership in trying to pick up Kenyan Drake after his fumble.

• Frank Gore was a stud. He ran hard. 101 yards on 15 carries.

• Albert Wilson 155 yards, 6 receptions, long of 75 yards and 2 TD’s. After Miami went down 7 late in the game, things looked bleak. Yet, Wilson picked up his team with an incredible catch and run. Incredible individual effort by Wilson.

• Offensive line play. The key to this game in my opinion. The pass pro was off the charts. Zero sacks. Neutralized Khalil Mack. Busted holes in a great defense to run the ball. Outstanding job by this unit.

• Separate shout to the two tackles. Laremy Tunsil played like an all-pro. Ja’wuan James was also excellent on the edge. People were worried about the play of the tackles coming into this game. Tunsil and James were lights out.

• Osweiler’s patience on the 2 point conversion and Kenny Stills not giving up on the play. Stills was masterful in the back of the end zone with a toe tap.

• Nick O’Leary. What a pick up at this point. 49 yards on 4 receptions and a TD. His blocking was tremendous. He helped in pass protection on the edges and sprung runs in the run game.

• While the offense did turn the ball over, they did successfully kill the clock and did not let Chicago have a chance for points at the end of the half. Chicago had a chance for back to back possessions/score (they did score on their opening drive of the 2nd half). The clock was managed well.

• The Fins held the Bears to 2-4 in the Red Zone. The two stops were forced turnovers by the defense.

• Kiko Alonso was all over the place. 11 TOT, 9 Solo, a forced fumble, fumble recovery.

• Reshad Jones’ 4th down stop. He came flying in and stopped the ball carrier with a flying tackle short of the 1st down.

• T.J. McDonald interception in the end zone.

• Robert Quinn FF.

• Xavien Howard recovered a fumble.

• Jonathan Woodard had a sack, 2 QB hits and a TFL before leaving with concussion.

• Vincent Taylor had a sack and QB hit.

• Jason Sanders. He nailed 50 plus yard field goal after the offense got bogged down on a drive. The momentum of the game was slipping badly and the team need some points. Of course, he had the game winner. He made a chipshot FG and all his PAT’s.

• Matt Haack 40.5 average and put 2 inside the 20.

• Great coaching going back Kenyan Drake after the fumble. It sounds like Gore was gassed. That said, the staff showed wisdom trusting Drake after the costly fumble at the goal line in overtime. That will go a long way in the locker room.

• The mental toughness to overcome injuries to key plays and keep fighting when down while at the same time fighting after coming inches from winning in OT.

Negatives

• The offense was 1-3 in the Red Zone.

• Drake fumble in OT.

• Wilson drop on the opening drive.

• Osweiler pick at the end of the half and lazy bid from DeVante Parker to make any play on the ball.

• Osweiler pick in the 2nd half that was almost returned for a TD.

• The Bears offense was 8-12 on 3rd down.

• The defense yielded 5.3 per rush. They got 164 yards on 31 attempts.

• The Bears per pass attempt...9.2.

• The wheels came off the defense in the 2nd half.

• Miami had the Bears on a 3rd down in the 4th and had a chance to force a FG. Instead the Bears scored a TD. Bad look.

• Torry McTyer was roasted and had a bullseye on him. He also had a bad penalty early in the game on 3rd down.

• Penalties. 67 yards on 7 penalties.

• Terrible start coming out of the half. The Bears went 75 yards on 3 plays to open the half.

• With a chance to win it near the end of the game after a Bears fumble, I was not crazy about the play calling. One of the first two plays should have been a run call on a draw to Drake or Gore. The Bears defense was gassed. Time was not an issue. They needed a drive starter. They never got it.

• That said, Drake was tripped by a Bears defender and it was definitely DPI. Terrible no call.

Overall Assessment

• Props to Ethan Skolnick, Chris Kouffman and 5 Reasons Sports Network for being the first with the Ryan Tannehill injury news. Disappointing so many other media members did not give them credit.

• For all the hate toward Tannehill, the distraught nature of Fin fans and the media upon hearing he was out was interesting. Yes, a lot had to do with Osweiler’s history. If RT is so terrible, why did it matter if he was inactive? The fan base struggles so bad when it comes to QB’s.

• Albert Wilson’s catch and TD run after a huge Bears TD, was such a big play. This team this year has had some individual plays that helped pull the team from the depths. Whether it was Xavien Howard pick vs. Oakland or the catch and run on 3rd down by Gore vs. the Jets, some players have stepped up big-time in big spots.

• I feel good for Osweiler. He gets crapped on all the time. For what? Yes, he failed in Houston and was unceremoniously dumped by Cleveland. However, it was not his fault Houston offered that money. The guy has struggled recently in his career...no question. However, he has won a playoff game. He seems to be a good teammate and respects this coaching staff. It was cool hearing the story of him picking up a crushed Drake. Everyone laughed at him getting a start vs. Chicago. Good for Brock playing well and getting a win.

• Props to Darren Rizzi for finding and coaching up Jason Sanders.

• How big was the Trey Burton penalty? It wiped away a TD and it led to a Mitch Trubisky pick a few plays later.

• Getting Bobby McCain back is vital. McTyer was terrible and is going to be targeted going forward. Cordrea Tankersley cannot compete anymore. McCain is needed back and perhaps a trade is needed prior to the trade deadline.

• No Charles Harris? I hope for his sake it is injury. That said, Jonathan Woodard and Cameron Malveaux are outplaying him.

• Time to deactivate Parker. He brings nothing to the table. He cannot help on special teams. Give the reps to Stills, Wilson, Danny Amendola, Jakeem Grant and the TE’s. Heck, put both RB’s out there at the same time. I called the bust that Parker would be. Don’t mean to tell you I told you so, but…

• What is John Elway thinking seeing Adam Gase have offensive success and doing it with Brock Osweiler. Gase has to love it deep down.

• Also, Dowell Loggins and Adam Gase got a sweet win vs. their former employer. Loggins was disliked in Chicago and turned the knife on Bears fans.

• The culture has changed for this team. They showed great resolve bouncing back from a crushing loss last week. They had places in the game to fold, but they did not. They picked each other up on the field and on the sideline. Great win!

McTyer was within a step on both long catches. I wouldn’t call that roasted. The ball was in the air for 50 yards both times. A free safety should have been there to help break it up.

The way we play two SS, both corners are on an island for those types of routes.

But when a corner is within a step and the Qb drops it in perfectly, is that really getting roasted?

Great write-up. I loved the third down effort on Sunday, breath of fresh air and necessary to win these games. I would love to trade for Patrick Peterson our defense would be set in my opinion.

Great write up Hayden. Always look forward to reading these during wins and losses. I think you missed a big negative, so I'll add it here for you. The Refs were terrible yesterday at times. Missed holding. A missed PI on Drake on what would have amounted to a first down and a chance for the Fins to win in regulation. Also I think I remember another one on Gesicki or O'Leary as well. Just piss poor, especially with "home field advantage". Lots of pros in this Bears game. Hopefully the O-Line can play like that consistently.

The lack,of a pass rush, especially in the second half was concerning. It resulted in Burke dialing up more blitzes which the Bears were able to pick up,and take advantage of. This d-line feels,like it is being held together with duct tape.

Using back up OL doesnt seem to be hurting us at all. Swanson and Larsen look pretty good. Im curious what you all think of our RBs. Drake is obviously the future, but Gore is so much better. I hope he stays another year or two.

Another great summary and analysis! Thanks Hayden.

I want to expand upon the “culture has changed” comment. Coach Gase is the architect of the culture. He has steadily released players without the fortitude to fight through adversity. He has traded players that broke down the team instead of building the team up. Player like Brock are excited to play for him. It says a lot about the Coach.

Positives

• Even TO differential. I would normally want this in the “plus category”, but between a backup QB and a great Bears defense coming out even in this game is a positive.

• The offense was 8-17 on 3rd down.

• Won TOP 36:35 to 33:25.

• Miami was 5.2 per rush.

• 8.6 per pass attempt.

• 541 total yards.

• 23 total 1st downs for the offense.

• Brock Osweiler. What a day. 28/44, 380 yards, 3 TD’s, 2 INT’s and rating of 94.9. Osweiler was in such command especially at the LOS. He utilized his TE’s well and got the ball to his playmakers. Love hearing his leadership in trying to pick up Kenyan Drake after his fumble.

• Frank Gore was a stud. He ran hard. 101 yards on 15 carries.

• Albert Wilson 155 yards, 6 receptions, long of 75 yards and 2 TD’s. After Miami went down 7 late in the game, things looked bleak. Yet, Wilson picked up his team with an incredible catch and run. Incredible individual effort by Wilson.

• Offensive line play. The key to this game in my opinion. The pass pro was off the charts. Zero sacks. Neutralized Khalil Mack. Busted holes in a great defense to run the ball. Outstanding job by this unit.

• Separate shout to the two tackles. Laremy Tunsil played like an all-pro. Ja’wuan James was also excellent on the edge. People were worried about the play of the tackles coming into this game. Tunsil and James were lights out.

• Osweiler’s patience on the 2 point conversion and Kenny Stills not giving up on the play. Stills was masterful in the back of the end zone with a toe tap.

• Nick O’Leary. What a pick up at this point. 49 yards on 4 receptions and a TD. His blocking was tremendous. He helped in pass protection on the edges and sprung runs in the run game.

• While the offense did turn the ball over, they did successfully kill the clock and did not let Chicago have a chance for points at the end of the half. Chicago had a chance for back to back possessions/score (they did score on their opening drive of the 2nd half). The clock was managed well.

• The Fins held the Bears to 2-4 in the Red Zone. The two stops were forced turnovers by the defense.

• Kiko Alonso was all over the place. 11 TOT, 9 Solo, a forced fumble, fumble recovery.

• Reshad Jones’ 4th down stop. He came flying in and stopped the ball carrier with a flying tackle short of the 1st down.

• T.J. McDonald interception in the end zone.

• Robert Quinn FF.

• Xavien Howard recovered a fumble.

• Jonathan Woodard had a sack, 2 QB hits and a TFL before leaving with concussion.

• Vincent Taylor had a sack and QB hit.

• Jason Sanders. He nailed 50 plus yard field goal after the offense got bogged down on a drive. The momentum of the game was slipping badly and the team need some points. Of course, he had the game winner. He made a chipshot FG and all his PAT’s.

• Matt Haack 40.5 average and put 2 inside the 20.

• Great coaching going back Kenyan Drake after the fumble. It sounds like Gore was gassed. That said, the staff showed wisdom trusting Drake after the costly fumble at the goal line in overtime. That will go a long way in the locker room.

• The mental toughness to overcome injuries to key plays and keep fighting when down while at the same time fighting after coming inches from winning in OT.

Negatives

• The offense was 1-3 in the Red Zone.

• Drake fumble in OT.

• Wilson drop on the opening drive.

• Osweiler pick at the end of the half and lazy bid from DeVante Parker to make any play on the ball.

• Osweiler pick in the 2nd half that was almost returned for a TD.

• The Bears offense was 8-12 on 3rd down.

• The defense yielded 5.3 per rush. They got 164 yards on 31 attempts.

• The Bears per pass attempt...9.2.

• The wheels came off the defense in the 2nd half.

• Miami had the Bears on a 3rd down in the 4th and had a chance to force a FG. Instead the Bears scored a TD. Bad look.

• Torry McTyer was roasted and had a bullseye on him. He also had a bad penalty early in the game on 3rd down.

• Penalties. 67 yards on 7 penalties.

• Terrible start coming out of the half. The Bears went 75 yards on 3 plays to open the half.

• With a chance to win it near the end of the game after a Bears fumble, I was not crazy about the play calling. One of the first two plays should have been a run call on a draw to Drake or Gore. The Bears defense was gassed. Time was not an issue. They needed a drive starter. They never got it.

• That said, Drake was tripped by a Bears defender and it was definitely DPI. Terrible no call.

Overall Assessment

• Props to Ethan Skolnick, Chris Kouffman and 5 Reasons Sports Network for being the first with the Ryan Tannehill injury news. Disappointing so many other media members did not give them credit.

• For all the hate toward Tannehill, the distraught nature of Fin fans and the media upon hearing he was out was interesting. Yes, a lot had to do with Osweiler’s history. If RT is so terrible, why did it matter if he was inactive? The fan base struggles so bad when it comes to QB’s.

• Albert Wilson’s catch and TD run after a huge Bears TD, was such a big play. This team this year has had some individual plays that helped pull the team from the depths. Whether it was Xavien Howard pick vs. Oakland or the catch and run on 3rd down by Gore vs. the Jets, some players have stepped up big-time in big spots.

• I feel good for Osweiler. He gets crapped on all the time. For what? Yes, he failed in Houston and was unceremoniously dumped by Cleveland. However, it was not his fault Houston offered that money. The guy has struggled recently in his career...no question. However, he has won a playoff game. He seems to be a good teammate and respects this coaching staff. It was cool hearing the story of him picking up a crushed Drake. Everyone laughed at him getting a start vs. Chicago. Good for Brock playing well and getting a win.

• Props to Darren Rizzi for finding and coaching up Jason Sanders.

• How big was the Trey Burton penalty? It wiped away a TD and it led to a Mitch Trubisky pick a few plays later.

• Getting Bobby McCain back is vital. McTyer was terrible and is going to be targeted going forward. Cordrea Tankersley cannot compete anymore. McCain is needed back and perhaps a trade is needed prior to the trade deadline.

• No Charles Harris? I hope for his sake it is injury. That said, Jonathan Woodard and Cameron Malveaux are outplaying him.

• Time to deactivate Parker. He brings nothing to the table. He cannot help on special teams. Give the reps to Stills, Wilson, Danny Amendola, Jakeem Grant and the TE’s. Heck, put both RB’s out there at the same time. I called the bust that Parker would be. Don’t mean to tell you I told you so, but…

• What is John Elway thinking seeing Adam Gase have offensive success and doing it with Brock Osweiler. Gase has to love it deep down.

• Also, Dowell Loggins and Adam Gase got a sweet win vs. their former employer. Loggins was disliked in Chicago and turned the knife on Bears fans.

• The culture has changed for this team. They showed great resolve bouncing back from a crushing loss last week. They had places in the game to fold, but they did not. They picked each other up on the field and on the sideline. Great win!

Not defending Parker, but had that ball had two more yards of air under it, it could have been a big play.
Good write up.
TEs a lot more active with Oz. Was that a game plan or just a preference by the QB?
A lot of those passing yards were RAC. Was I seeing things, or were the receivers more wide open against CHI?

Not defending Parker, but had that ball had two more yards of air under it, it could have been a big play.
Good write up.
TEs a lot more active with Oz. Was that a game plan or just a preference by the QB?
A lot of those passing yards were RAC. Was I seeing things, or were the receivers more wide open against CHI?

I agree with you about the Parker throw. One thing Oz doesn't do well is the deep ball. It was really bad...I think a healthy RT does much better on those throws yesterday. What's interesting about the TE's. Listening to coach Gases presser after the game, he mentioned they didn't have a big gameplan drawn up for the TE's. The TE's were in helping the O-Line a lot with blocking and chipping. It just happened to be that the CB's were so far up the field when TE's released, that they were open and were able to make plays with their legs after the catches.

I think what you were seeing as far as WR's being open, was the protection holding up for the routes to progress. Oz still missed a couple of wide open WR's that would have led to chunk plays instead of the shorter 5-7 yard passes. Amendola was open on a couple of plays in the middle of the field for 15-20 yards but Oz would go for the shorter throws to TE's. However, I feel with this system, if the O-Line can play consistently, a QB just needs to play smart mistake free football for us to score and win games.

do you think Peterson is a realistic option, that would be great

If you watch that play in slow motion, the ball is released when Parker is a full step behind the defender. The corner actually had the brains to turn his head around and adjust. Parker just kept on running which is why he looks like he had a step on the guy, but he really didn't. Bad decision to throw it there but Parker could have made the same play on the ball as the corner but either doesn't know how or doesn't want to.

I think for Osweiler, the big turning point for him in the game is when he stopped locking on Amendola. Maybe it was lack of field time or a comfort zone thing, I dunno, but when he finally realized in the second half that there were other receivers, he and the offense started to shine.

Honest question...who would really want Parker..he hasn't done much.

Back
Top Bottom