Hayden Fox's 2014 Season Assessment | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hayden Fox's 2014 Season Assessment

I like some things Hickey did, but you overrate him.

Mike Tannenbaum is a excellent executive and will do a good job.

BTW, I noticed you left out his picks with Eric Mangini. Good work…very fair and balanced.

yeah he had a good first year with Mangini but you're right,, I did leave out 07 when the jest, if not for beating our even more pathetic team twice would have been 2-14 instead of the impressive 4-12 with more of his own players. You know, like going out full tilt in '12 at 6-10 and leaving Itzdick in such a deep hole that he never could dig out. He couldnt even score a GM lateral posititon.. i don't remember reading of him being on any team's interview list. Yet Ross takes a fired GM who decided to ride all the way with Sanchez instead of drafting Russell Wilson despite Bradways constant urging...and actually gives him a defacto promotion. I'd rather take archery lessons from Stevie Wonder than entrust this slug to develop this team in his image.

But then again, you also think that Coach Mediocre with what, 6 winning seasons going on 20, who was fired from his last job in TN and hasn't had a winning season in StL is an excellent coach and apparently executive too.. so there's that as well :up:

yeah he had a good first year with Mangini but you're right,, I did leave out 07 when the jest, if not for beating our even more pathetic team twice would have been 2-14 instead of the impressive 4-12 with more of his own players. You know, like going out full tilt in '12 at 6-10 and leaving Itzdick in such a deep hole that he never could dig out. He couldnt even score a GM lateral posititon.. i don't remember reading of him being on any team's interview list. Yet Ross takes a fired GM who decided to ride all the way with Sanchez instead of drafting Russell Wilson despite Bradways constant urging...and actually gives him a defacto promotion. I'd rather take archery lessons from Stevie Wonder than entrust this slug to develop this team in his image.

But then again, you also think that Coach Mediocre with what, 6 winning seasons going on 20, who was fired from his last job in TN and hasn't had a winning season in StL is an excellent coach and apparently executive too.. so there's that as well :up:

I would give my left foot for two AFC Championship games. You?

yes, I'd take the charity too.. but would even feel better earning them the old fashion way instead of facing teams that want to preserve their players for the postseason taking knees and inserting Curtis Painter led scrubs. So I give him credit for 2 legit postseasons since '06 but without those 2 kneel downs, a 55-55 record.. the same sort of mediocrity everyone is rightfull skewering Philbin for.

:confused: If the final result was a Lombardi trophy. That's all that matters. Instead, a few seasons later after two losses in the AFC championship game the Jet's are now back to square one with no GM, no HC, a horrible QB and coming off a 4 win season.

yes, I'd take the charity too.. but would even feel better earning them the old fashion way instead of facing teams that want to preserve their players for the postseason taking knees and inserting Curtis Painter led scrubs. So I give him credit for 2 legit postseasons since '06 but without those 2 kneel downs, a 55-55 record.. the same sort of mediocrity everyone is rightfull skewering Philbin for.

IF, Miami got into the playoffs by playing a back up QB and IF they won two games to get to one step from the Super Bowl, you would take it.

BTW, didn't Joe Philbin led teams LOSE to back QB's quite a bit over the past two years? We had charity in our hands and we still messed it up.

---------- Post added at 09:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 PM ----------

:confused: If the final result was a Lombardi trophy. That's all that matters. Instead, a few seasons later after two losses in the AFC championship game the Jet's are now back to square one with no GM, no HC, a horrible QB and coming off a 4 win season.

Oh stop it. You feel lightyears from relevance tonight like I do. Are you telling me it does not matter if your team is in the playoffs versus 8-8? Give me a ****ing break.

Hayden - great write up and very therapeutic. Agree w most of this. Some random thoughts:

- I think some people are missing your point re Tannenbaum. I puked at the hire but since then I've come to the realization that he is a football exec who will hopefully take those duties out of Ross' hands. I'd rather any football guy represnting us versus Ross.

- I agree in Hartline. He's a competitor and a tough guy and a team guy. He didn't get used much and he's not a no 1 or even a no 2 but he can ball and is part of the solution. I'd rather Gibson go if we are trying to save some dough. No one can argue that Hartline for all his short comings has made the tough catch in key moments many times over his career. Can we restructure him? Do that. But he and a guy like Clay (huge heart) need to be in the team - but as complimentary players who create mis-matches because the D is busy covering up better skilled players w their best players. Which leads me to the next one:

- as much of a douche as he acted at times, we need to keep MW. He takes the top off the D. He had 10 TDs. He is a homerun threat. we can't go back to a situation like two years ago where our WRs couldnt threaten the entire field. We need as many play makers as we can stack up. Let's not create a hole by dumping him.

- we should dump Fields. Too much money and had a bad year.

- I don't think continuity for Tannehill's sake matters anymore. He's a pro. He's matures. He's intelligent unlike half of the QBs w nothing upstairs in this league. If Philbin was fired, I don't think it affects Tannehills game at this juncture of his career. Lame excuse for keeping the "young Don Shula" on Ross' part.

- I feel like w Philbins extension this is almost identical to fist pumps last season. I wonder how the team will respond come September? I can't believe Ross hasn't learned his lesson.

Good stuff man.

IF, Miami got into the playoffs by playing a back up QB and IF they won two games to get to one step from the Super Bowl, you would take it.

BTW, didn't Joe Philbin led teams LOSE to back QB's quite a bit over the past two years? We had charity in our hands and we still messed it up.

---------- Post added at 09:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 PM ----------

Oh stop it. You feel lightyears from relevance tonight like I do. Are you telling me it does not matter if your team is in the playoffs versus 8-8? Give me a ****ing break.

Ireland also made the playoffs in his first season ..just like Tannenbaum did I don't give credit for 09 since the colts were ahead after 35 minutes, the jets managed 3 offensive points and in the POs the colts outscored them 24-0 in the last 31 minutes, so essentially none of Tannenbaum's moves made that team other than an 8-8 team. And considering he finished his regime going 6-13 over the last 3 game chokefest in '11, why not argue we should hire Rich Kotite as the next HC who had winning seasons in Philly and a PO appearance before he got to the Jets? The bottom line is that the very egalitarian NFL appraised Tannehill to be "front office worthless" over 2 years.. except for Ross.

Alot of effort to be wrong on your third bullet for the negatives. Philbins challenge was the reason for Tannehills emergence.

Ireland also made the playoffs in his first season ..just like Tannenbaum did I don't give credit for 09 since the colts were ahead after 35 minutes, the jets managed 3 offensive points and in the POs the colts outscored them 24-0 in the last 31 minutes, so essentially none of Tannenbaum's moves made that team other than an 8-8 team. And considering he finished his regime going 6-13 over the last 3 game chokefest in '11, why not argue we should hire Rich Kotite as the next HC who had winning seasons in Philly and a PO appearance before he got to the Jets? The bottom line is that the very egalitarian NFL appraised Tannehill to be "front office worthless" over 2 years.. except for Ross.

Bill Parcells made the playoffs in 08 and you know it. I stopped reading there. If you are going to argue that Ireland made that team, we can stop debating.

Alot of effort to be wrong on your third bullet for the negatives. Philbins challenge was the reason for Tannehills emergence.

I rarely give thumbs down, but that comment deserves it.

Ryan Tannehill NEVER needed to be motivated.

I rarely give thumbs down, but that comment deserves it.

Ryan Tannehill NEVER needed to be motivated.
agree. It was purely coincidental. Tannehill is a pro who works hard. Coach queasy is just not decisive - one of the worst qualities a HC can have.

Thanks for the write up. Length alone it deserved a thumbs up.

Bill Parcells made the playoffs in 08 and you know it. I stopped reading there. If you are going to argue that Ireland made that team, we can stop debating.

Sure plug your ears all you want but the fact remains that for 2 years the brain trusts of the league didn't want Tannenbum even for a GM position but it took the same clueless owner who retained Philbin to actually promote him after finding him while dumpster diving.

And if you want to argue that Ross sees more than everyone else, then the same argument can be made that he also was wisely prescient when retaining Philbin..

The one thing I feel really good about is Ryan Tannehill. It's been a long, long time since Miami had a good quarterback. Tannehill is knocking on the door of top 10 for NFL quarterbacks with a chance to get even better.

I will say this. The Dolphins weren't good enough to survive some key injuries such as Louis Delmas and Brandon Alberts. Good team have more depth. This is another crucial offseason for sure, but I really hope Miami gets more talent around Tannehill. Fix a few key defensive pieces (DT, CB) through free agency.

Appreciate the time and effort put in HF. The notes that stick out to me most is our improved efficiency on 3rd down, overall moving the chains at a much better clip than previous years, 4th in total 1st downs, and Tannehill's progress. The redzone disasters ****ed this team beyond repair in regards to playoff contention.

One of the main points to bring into the offseason is for Hickey to make signing an OG in free agency a priority to avoid having to go that route early in the draft, and for Coyle (or whoever the hell else) to fix the ****ing defense. That last stretch of the season was absolutely horrendous, especially in comparison to the play they teased us with as a unit earlier in the season.

Back
Top Bottom