Hayden Fox's Assessment: Preseason Week Three | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hayden Fox's Assessment: Preseason Week Three

Hayden Fox

Is it Sunday yet?
Club Member
Reaction score
Positives
* Ryan Tannehill ended up having a solid night. If some of his receivers held on to the ball in the end zone, he might have 3 TD's. Be that as it may, he conducted the offense well and kept the Offense moving forward through the half. Props to RT for coming back to Brandon Gibson for a TD after his drop in the end zone earlier.
* Lamar Miller: Showed a 2nd gear that separates him from the other backs on the team. He has good vision. His pass protection made me stand up and take notice.
* I thought the right side of the Oline played well early on and that is a credit to John Jerry. It is vital that Jerry and Clabo get some chemistry together in the next two weeks. Tonight they looked good.
* Outstanding blitz pick ups by the #1's tonight. I mentioned Miller earlier, but the line itself did a good job passing off would be blitzers giving RT time to throw. Very pleased with the pass pro in the 1st Half.
* Brian Hartline's route running.
* Brandon Gibson showed well. He is a very powerful receiver. Redeemed his drop in the end zone with a TD later on.
* Very nice opening drive to start the game. Granted it did not end in a TD, but it had a nice mix of run and pass. The ball was spread around. It ate up clock. It showed preparation.
* The 2 Minute Drill at the end of the 1st Half was a thing of beauty. The clock management was awesome. The Fins not only got a TD, but they left the Bucs with about 10 seconds. BTW, Miami still had a TO in its back pocket. RT was cool and calm. The receivers knew where to go to pick up 1st downs. Everyone on the same page. Excellent. Excellent.
* The Defense dominated tonight. If not for short fields, TB might not have scored. They stopped the run, got good pressure and were strong in coverage. The 3rd down D was impressive in the 1st Half.
* The #1 Defensive Line constantly changed where the LOS was. The got consistent penetration blowing up run plays. Paul Soliai tossed around his opponent.
* Jared Odrick was outstanding today. Played the run well and had a sack of QB Josh Freeman.
* Olivier Vernon got another sack today beating Donald Penn.
* The LB's also got excellent penetration.
* The LB's and DB's timed blitzes tremendously.
* Dimitri Patterson held down the nickel spot well tonight. Played his coverage well and timed his blitz at the right time.
* The D did a better job slowing the Bucs down after the 2nd TO.
* Derrick Shelby got a long look and responded with a fumble recovery and being active down field after the pass was thrown.
* The back up defenders had their best game of the preseason. Kaddu, McCary and Robinson had nice plays in the 2nd Half.
* Marcus Thigpen responded after a tough night with a strong punt return to set up a score.
* Fields coffin corner punt inside the 5 yard line.
* I thought Mike Sherman had a nice variety in his play calling in the 1st Half.
* Kevin Coyle called a great game.

Negatives
* Lost the TO battle 3 to 1. That is why the game was lost.
* The first botched punt return. It hits Nolan Carroll in the arm and TB recovers. Whether that is on Carroll or Thigpen....or both, this cannot happen.
* The second botched punt return. Thigpen has lousy ball security and fumbles.
* Jonas Gray fumbles near the end of the game. The ball is returned into Buccaneer territory and sets up the game winning score.
* Red Zone misses. Miami was inside the 20 twice and came away with FG's. Brian Hartline had a tough opportunity and the ball needed to be out in front more. Brandon Gibson had a key drop that could have gone for a TD.
* Short yardage situations. Miami tried to "go big" and got pushed backwards. When it was 4th and short, Miami spread things out and picked up the 1st down via the pass.
* After the first Miami turnover, the D did not seem as "geared up" as they were on the prior possession. The sudden change of possession seemed to knock some wind out of their sails.
* On the first possession of the game, Chris Clemons fanned on a tackle that could have made TB go three and out. Instead the receiver picked up the 1st down.
* Tannehill had a couple of ball placement issues. One to Clay should have been picked. While less then previous games, RT held on to the ball when it seemed the ball needed to come out sooner a few occasions.
* Nothing from TE position. Charles Clay did not get separation or fight for the ball.
* Michael Egnew was invisible.

Overall Assessment
* While the Dolphins lost tonight, I feel much better as a Dolphins fan than I would as a Bucs fan. Miami dominated the game tonight, but made some silly errors that gift wrapped scores. I am very pleased with what I saw tonight. Without Miami's turnovers, I wonder if Tampa Bay scores tonight.
* Lamar Miller is the team's best RB. I think we all know that. I am sure the staff does. However, it is time to stop the comments that this is a "two man competition". Miller is the starter. Thomas the back up.
* I am worried about this team in short yardage situations. There is not a physical back on the roster, not a lot of movement by the FB's in the running game and TE's are not known as blockers besides Dion Sims. They had to spread it out on 4th down to pick up the yardage. It will be interesting what Mike Sherman calls when the games start for real.
* The team lacks red zone targets. A big TE or the angular receiver is missing from this team. Therefore, the team is going to have run it when in close (we just talked about short yardage issues), win by design and/or have the QB be very accurate down in close. While I support the vast majority of the offseason moves the FO made, I always whined about getting a red zone target or two for RT. It did not happen and I think it will haunt us throughout the season.
* I was hoping the TE's would show tonight and they disappointed. Outside of a nice catch by Sims in the 2nd Half, the night was a disappointment for Clay and Egnew. No TE seized the opportunity. Charles Clay is a #2 TE, Hback type player. He cannot do what Keller does. Suggesting as much is an insult to Keller's play. Michael Egnew is never going to factor in as a major contributor.
* Dion Sims should be given the opportunity to start if the team is not going outside the organization to find a solution to the TE position.. He is a plus blocker, a big bodied target and has an upside.
* With that said, I am calling for the team to actively find a veteran TE to help this team. Use a 6th or 7th round pick to see if you can pry a Tony Moeaki, Brent Celak, Joel Dressen or Tony Scheffler away from a team. Some of these teams have new regimes and TE's on the roster that might be willing to dump a salary for a pick. This is no time for Jeff Ireland to worry about money or trading for a vested vet. This offense needs a TE that knows where to be, understands the game, be an outlet for RT and maybe help in the Red Zone. I have wavered all week since the Keller injury. I wanted a vet immediately, calmed down and wanted to give the in house candidates a chance...now, it is obvious to me that the team is not going get what is needed from this current TE group.
* Nice to see Brandon Gibson not hang his head and keep playing after his TD drop. He was money tonight. He and RT had a nice chemistry. Veteran-like QB play from Tannehill to come back to Gibson after the drop. "All is well" in Gibson's mind because of RT coming back to him.
* When the Heath Evans' of the world rip the Fins for drafting Dion Jordan, stating that outside pass rush is not "how you get to Tom Brady" and that the rush has to come up the middle....well, Jared Odrick and Randy Starks are going to push the pocket. Miami is going to be tough up the middle on passing downs. With the pressure off of the edges from Cam Wake and O.V. coupled with the variety of blitzes being called, the pass rush could be the team's best strength this year.
* Nolan Carroll is not fit to be the team's 3rd CB. The team is just asking for opponents to throw his way. While I am not surprised a veteran CB got the ax this week, I still maintain the team is not better off without Richard Marshall.
* That is why Will Davis and especially Jamar Taylor are essential to this season. I do not see Miami going out into next week's cuts looking for a 3rd CB. It will come from Carroll, Davis, Taylor and maybe Jimmy Wilson. One of the rookies, sometime soon, needs to take the 3rd CB job. Nolan Carroll is the weakness of the defense without question.
* Pat Devlin, Jonas Gray, Marvin McNutt and Derrick Shelby had tryouts tonight. I wonder how they played in the eye's of the decision makers.
* Joe Philbin made the right call to have the Bucs punt the ball again after a penalty...even though Thigpen ends up fumbling it. The team needed to work on its punt returns and this was the perfect time. Why wait until Week One to iron out issues? It was the right call. Bad execution.
* This is a bad Bucs team. They will get better when Martin comes back and Revis gets into the line up. However, that is not going to mask their other issues. Freeman has regressed. They have little pass rush. Questionable depth. My prediction: Glennon will be the starting QB by the time Miami plays Tampa Bay in November on MNF.
* 2 weeks from tomorrow the games count for real. Buckle up, another season will be upon us. Cannot wait to be there with everyone again. It is a ton of fun.

Great analysis, but I disagree about Egnew. He has developed slowly, but he has improved. If we could land a vet like Dressen, I would keep Egnew, Sims, and Rodriguez. Those guys are raw, but we will have to depend on them and hopefully they will grow.

I saw all i needed to see tonight. Tannehill has developed very nicely, and with a few turnovers this defense is elite. I really think this is a playoff team barring catastrophic injury.

I believe Ireland will once again be busy at cut and sign days this year. However, let us see what positions.

Well done again. :) D has to be very anxious to play a full game, not worried on ST's, and TE and depth is my only concern. Need a couple of guys next week.

Great analysis, but I disagree about Egnew. He has developed slowly, but he has improved. If we could land a vet like Dressen, I would keep Egnew, Sims, and Rodriguez. Those guys are raw, but we will have to depend on them and hopefully they will grow.

i agree on keeping Egnew and Sims at TE but as you said , slooowly developing and both guys wont be ready this year to make an impacted , next year maybe , but if we are going to compete this year we need help at TE , i know at this time of year its going to be slim pickings , but we should see what Shockey is doing these days and maybe the waiver wire when time comes , i think we have one heck of a TE in Sims , BUT Just Not This Year. needs alot more time to develope .

too much time on your hands Hayden. I drank gin and tonics, sat by the fire with neighbors, laughed my azz off, came in to take a peek at the game on PC, and knew right away that

1. 2 irregular special teams turnovers made the score close after we dominated TOP
2. Defense is good and Josh Freeman is a bust
3. Whatever we thing about said player at TE wont matter in 5 weeks. Some will grow up out of puppyhood faster than others. If anyone bags on Clay for tonights game should just look away. keller deal sucks and we work even harder towards opening day.

First time all preseason I saw RT hit Hartline, Wallace, and Gibson in one game. Most reps so....Armando can suck balls.

too much time on your hands Hayden. I drank gin and tonics, sat by the fire with neighbors, laughed my azz off, came in to take a peek at the game on PC, and knew right away that

1. 2 irregular special teams turnovers made the score close after we dominated TOP
2. Defense is good and Josh Freeman is a bust
3. Whatever we thing about said player at TE wont matter in 5 weeks. Some will grow up out of puppyhood faster than others. If anyone bags on Clay for tonights game should just look away. keller deal sucks and we work even harder towards opening day.

First time all preseason I saw RT hit Hartline, Wallace, and Gibson in one game. Most reps so....Armando can suck balls.

This is irrelevant to the topic, but does your location refer to Manchester, NH? I have family up in that state and would find it hilarious if thats what you call crapchester.

Nice write up. I was with you last week about a vet or depth at TE. Need another seam threat besides Gibson over the middle. I'm not saying the TEs won't develop, just a proven reliable option would be nice. Even if they are limited. It won't make or break the offense but I want it to be as strong as possible.

Why wasn't Egnew used as a potential red zone target? You are right he was invisible, but his best skill is catching the ball. Maybe Sherman is deliberately keeping some good plays up his sleeve.

I was quite surprised but the power that OV brought on a few occasions, and in particular in the run game.

I can't recall the exact play or when, but he had a run his side and he drove the OT about 3-4 yards into the backfield in an instant - I wouldn't even expect that from Wake, it was very impressive to see.

He's still raw, but with Jordan out for a bit, that can only mean good things for the continued development of OV.

Thanks for posting...great write up:brewskis:

Back
Top Bottom