Hayden Fox's End of the Year Assessment | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hayden Fox's End of the Year Assessment

Good work Hayden, I was also fine with letting Tannehill sit this year, but he was the best QB in camp and starting him right away was the right decision. The experience he gained this year will pay off down the road.

Hey,

That was excellent. I really agree with the tone and reality of your post. Question? What are your thoughts on the draft? I would be interested in knowing your take.

Thanks

Thanks. My early and very broad take on the draft at this is to draft a pass rusher at 12, find a vertical threat in the 2nd or 3rd round and look for a corner that might be able to compete for a starting job.

Well done Mr. Fox, I know some of your opinions have gotten you some jest from the board (and I'll admit to having fun at your expense from time to time, but all in good fun), but you are one of the few who will admit you were proven wrong about something. Still don't agree that Mike Sherman was a positive this year (key word this year) but he is a guy that the board either loves or hates. No really in between.

Your write ups always tend to be an even keeled response in the midst of emotional threads.

Well done Hayden, a very fair analysis. I really feel we finally have the right set of coaches and add to that finally biting the bullet on a 1st round QB I feel things are really looking up. Have great ammunition for this off season so hopefully the start of something special. Exciting times to be a fan but still a load of work to do, especially on offense.

Excellent summary. I particularly liked the notion that we should appreciate Cameron Wake. He's going to turn 31 in a few weeks. I never thought he'd reach this level and he's improved certain aspects of his game every season.

good read...

i think some of you guys are a little too concerned about cam wakes age at this time...he's young by nfl standards given his years in the league and there's no doubt in my mind barring injury we'll get double digit sack production on a yearly basis through the end of that contract extension he recently signed...taking cfl snaps and taking nfl ones are two totally different animals...he's got plenty left in the tank

i would disagree with charles clay made no progress this year he started out the year pretty much bad and couldn't be trusted to run routes based on the coverage he was seeing and knowing when to carry the route and when to sit down in voids vs zone but as the season progressed he started to make strides and become a more consistent contributor and someone tannehill even looked for...the production definitely overall was underwhelming but there's no reason to think that with another camp he can't continue to make strides...

surprised michael egnew was left out...cause that was awful...

big offseason for miami...and let's hope the targets aren't a lot of the names i'm seeing tossed around on here of late...irelands needs to come through...and by through i mean impact draft talent and free agent additions...no excuses

I also left out that I give Steve Ross credit for never having a home game blacked out. Whether it was his direction or Mike Dee or area businesses coming through. I give credit to the FO for allowing games to be on locally.

Keeping the games on locally is ultimately good business.

Also, blackouts do not affect me based on where I live, but I know it is important to the people of South Florida...esp. those that hurting economically during these tough times. For a family of four it might be hard to go to a game at this point. This is something Mr. Ross got right.

Hayden, you gloss over the TE position. The fact you can only point to 1 play, kinda makes my point as a whole. TE is needed ASAP.

How many of you here can continue to NOT expect anything from the TE position is scary. You people scream for playmakers but yet are happy with a corn fed lineman playing TE.

I also left out that I give Steve Ross credit for never having a home game blacked out. Whether it was his direction or Mike Dee or area businesses coming through. I give credit to the FO for allowing games to be on locally.

Keeping the games on locally is ultimately good business.

Yep. It was a smart decision by Steve Ross, and also a generous one for his fans. To bring people back, to build the fan base back up, he has to invest a little when things are tough.

I know that many are not fans of Ross, but he is quite frankly a better owner than Wayne. Wayne just hired the big name and never insisted on accountability. If Ross's 'meddling' means he is going to buy out tickets to prevent blackouts, fire a bad head coach, seek third party evaluations of his football team, and veto a trade and contract for Kyle Orton, then meddling ownership is exactly what this franchise needed.

Hayden, you gloss over the TE position. The fact you can only point to 1 play, kinda makes my point as a whole. TE is needed ASAP.

How many of you here can continue to NOT expect anything from the TE position is scary. You people scream for playmakers but yet are happy with a corn fed lineman playing TE.

People like Fasano because he is a lunch pail and hard hat kind of guy. But you are 100% correct that we flat out need a better athlete there. Compared to Jimmy Graham, Rob Gronkowski, guys like that, Anthony Fasano doesn't even play the same position, much less play at the same level.

A seam threat is needed at TE...no doubt. Whether it is Finley, Cook, Keller or a draft pick, I agree that the next step in RT's progress might not be a Mike Wallace, but an athletic TE.

Yep. It was a smart decision by Steve Ross, and also a generous one for his fans. To bring people back, to build the fan base back up, he has to invest a little when things are tough.

I know that many are not fans of Ross, but he is quite frankly a better owner than Wayne. Wayne just hired the big name and never insisted on accountability. If Ross's 'meddling' means he is going to buy out tickets to prevent blackouts, fire a bad head coach, seek third party evaluations of his football team, and veto a trade and contract for Kyle Orton, then meddling ownership is exactly what this franchise needed.

People like Fasano because he is a lunch pail and hard hat kind of guy. But you are 100% correct that we flat out need a better athlete there. Compared to Jimmy Graham, Rob Gronkowski, guys like that, Anthony Fasano doesn't even play the same position, much less play at the same level.

Thats fine. But at this level, and with a young developing QB...TE is a must. Through Fasano's play this year, he stayed true to who he is, or who I think he is. He again disappeared games at a time, could never be relied upon consistently for his young QB and was never a real threat to opposing defenses. 3 years, thats how long its been since Ireland acknowledged that the position needs to be upgraded. This off season, its a must. He handicapped Henne, he shouldn't do the same to Tannehill.

Excellent summary. I particularly liked the notion that we should appreciate Cameron Wake. He's going to turn 31 in a few weeks. I never thought he'd reach this level and he's improved certain aspects of his game every season.
Just want to second (third) this opinion. Five years ago, this guy is out of football, working as a mortgage broker, sitting on his couch watching games. Today, he's arguably the best 4-3 DE in the NFL. You just can't make that kind of stuff up, and it's a big privilege to be a part of it.

I also pegged this team for about 5 wins. I agree with so much of what you said, saw a lot of growth in Tannehill and that was so big this year. He already has the manage the game philosophy down and hopefully can take it to the next level with some playmakers added. Agree we need a pass rusher in a big way. This draft is setup so well for Miami to get help in that area. Also glad you mentioned the offensive line. That this unit hasn't been solidified completely is a big disappointment. If the team doesn't re-sign Jake Long, we need a lot of help -- at least two starters. Not at all happy with the guard play and the secondary, minus Jones, is a mess. I can't wait for free agency and the draft. We have the resources to improve quickly.

I think Philbin/Ireland tried to score on a TE in the 3rd with Egnew, but sadly it appears that didn't work out, TE was slim pickings last year (in terms of our draft position and FA and cap space). I'd be extremly suprised if they don't upgrade that position this offseason, Pilbin utualized the TE position to great success in GB, I'm sure he will try to do the same here.

Back
Top Bottom