Help me with a question about the Franchise Tag... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Help me with a question about the Franchise Tag...

NYPhinFan

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
if we tag Todd Wade with it...I know the money counts towards the cap...but if someone else signs him...am I wrong to say that we get two first round picks....and even if we tag him...can't we still then trade him?..just wondering...

If another team signs a franchise player away from the Fins, the fins will recieve the 1st Rounders.

If the Fins trade him, they won't get the 1st Rounders, they'll only get what they trade him for.

If the Fins don't franchise him, and he gets signed by another team, his salary will factor into a possible supplemental draft pick in the next draft.

I know where you are going with that thought. It is not a bad idea on the surface as we guarantee that we get something for him or he stays on as our RT. While no one will give us 2 first rounders for him we "MIGHT" be able to trade him for a 2nd rounder which is probably better than the NFL would give us if he signs a contract with someone else...That is, if we find some sucker that didn't watch much film on him this season. Not that it matters, but I think the players and the union don't like that kind of deal. It circumvents what the free agency is about. It could make the franchise less attractive to other FA's

Don't worry, we won't be franchising Wade. We'd have to pay him top LT money.

is wade good enought to franchise him.. if money was no object?

he's a RFA.. no need to franchise him.

there are 2 forms of franchise. one is called non exclusive franchise tag or something which means 2 first round picks.

Originally posted by Blueprint_21
he's a RFA.. no need to franchise him.

there are 2 forms of franchise. one is called non exclusive franchise tag or something which means 2 first round picks.

So so wrong. If a contract is 4 years or long RFA does not apply. Todd Wade is not a RFA. Chris Chambers will not be an RFA after next season. RFA only applies to those with 3 years or less.

Wade is as good as gone cause I can't see the phins blowing that much in $$$ on a RT. As for franchise tags? Not in a million years. A) It's LT money and B) He's not worth half that even.

Originally posted by VanDolPhan

So so wrong. If a contract is 4 years or long RFA does not apply. Todd Wade is not a RFA. Chris Chambers will not be an RFA after next season. RFA only applies to those with 3 years or less.

Wade is as good as gone cause I can't see the phins blowing that much in $$$ on a RT. As for franchise tags? Not in a million years. A) It's LT money and B) He's not worth half that even.

what did that have to due (RFA rules, which i already know) and the other franchise tag option?

Originally posted by NYPhinFan
if we tag Todd Wade with it...I know the money counts towards the cap...but if someone else signs him...am I wrong to say that we get two first round picks....and even if we tag him...can't we still then trade him?..just wondering...

Teams have a two week window to designate Franchise or Transition players. (2/9 to 2/23) The tender or offer has to be " A one year NFL Player Contract for the average of the five largest Prior Year Salaries for players at the position at which the Franchise Player played the most games during the prior League Year, or 120% of his Prior Year Salary, whichever is greater" (think Peyton Manning) or in lieu, transition players an average of the top 10 salaries.

If the team (prior club) makes this tender the player can negotiate with any team. If signed by the new club and the prior club does not match the offer, the prior club will receive two first round draft picks in compensation.

The Exclusive Rights Franchise player has to be tendered with the average top five salaries for the Current Year or 120% of his salary or the same as above (non exclusive player) which ever is higher. This player cannot negotiate with any other team.

Yes you can trade a Franchise player.
If the player is signed to a multiyear agreement and traded the same day then the new club is deemed to have used the franchise tag for the current year.

BTW offensive linemen are all one group for franchise and transition salary purposes and not divided like defensive ends and tackles.

Todd Wade is an UFA becase he has 4 credited seasons. He did sign a four year contract with the Dolphins when he was drafted. I also checked any Free Agent (UFA and RFA) can be designated a franchise or transition player.

The franchise number for OT last year was 5.73 mil. If you are going to spend that much on a tackle, i hope it isn't todd wade.

Originally posted by Predaphin34
We need to Franchise OGun if hes not re-signed.

Actually O-gun is a RFA....so you just need to tender him the high tender amount which is much less than a franchise player. It would be somewhere between 1.5-2mil....If someone signs him, you get 1st and 3rd round picks. If nobody signs him, you get him pretty cheap next year. If you don't extend him within the next year he will be a UFA and then you need to look at franchising him....the franchise number for a DE this past season was 7.17 mil....So i'd hope to either get rid of him...or extend him within the next year.

Thanks everyone...

its what I thought but it helps me out...there is no way we Franchise him then at LT money....think he is as good as gone then...will take up way too much space...even if we want to tag and trade him.

Originally posted by Saint Greg

Actually O-gun is a RFA....so you just need to tender him the high tender amount which is much less than a franchise player. It would be somewhere between 1.5-2mil....If someone signs him, you get 1st and 3rd round picks. If nobody signs him, you get him pretty cheap next year. If you don't extend him within the next year he will be a UFA and then you need to look at franchising him....the franchise number for a DE this past season was 7.17 mil....So i'd hope to either get rid of him...or extend him within the next year.

Thanx greg, good stuff to know.

Back
Top Bottom