Help me with a question about the Franchise Tag... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Help me with a question about the Franchise Tag...

Franchise tags are based on top cap hits are a players respective positions, not just salaries, that's why it would take approx. $18 million of cap space for the Colts to franchise Manning, which will not happen.

Originally posted by clumpedplatelet
Franchise tags are based on top cap hits are a players respective positions, not just salaries, that's why it would take approx. $18 million of cap space for the Colts to franchise Manning, which will not happen.

Yes they are cap hits but that language is straight out of the CBA that's why it's in quotes. Take a look.

Originally posted by Blueprint_21

what did that have to due (RFA rules, which i already know) and the other franchise tag option?

Well apparently you didn't cause you just said we didn't have to franchise Wade because he's an RFA which he isn't because his original contract was 4 years making him a UFA.

Miami should place the transition tag on Todd Wade, not the franchise.

The tender would be less, Miami can still match any offer sheet signed, but wouldn't recieve compensation. Its practically impossible to put the franshise tag on on Wade. Whatever his tender off is, which is about 6 million bucks, is treated as a year contract all of which counts against the cap, Miami has to be under the cap by that 6 million to even tag him, which is highly unlikely. The transition tag might still ward off potential suitors, but not in the way the fran. tag would.

Mannings tender is approx. 18 because he actually made more money in 2003, then what the top 5 average for QB's would make in 2004. Thus his 1 year tender would be 120% more then what he made in 2003.

Originally posted by Stamos

Theres only a 600k difference...you'd be paying him 5.1 mil instead of 5.7 mil....i don't see that happening.

The transition tender is that high this year? wow I figured for a number closer to 4 million. Still a viable option, because if we ended up signing Todd long term we wouldn't have to worry about losing the franshise tag.

Something that might need to be reserved for Chris Chambers.

The transition tender is that high this year?

Those are last year's numbers. The new numbers will come out in February.

Originally posted by Blueprint_21
he's a RFA.. no need to franchise him.

there are 2 forms of franchise. one is called non exclusive franchise tag or something which means 2 first round picks.

Wade is an UFA................4 yrs in the league.

Originally posted by NYPhinFan
if we tag Todd Wade with it...I know the money counts towards the cap...but if someone else signs him...am I wrong to say that we get two first round picks....and even if we tag him...can't we still then trade him?..just wondering...

Don't think have to worry about Wade being tagged with anything cuz if it falls back on us, we'd be paying him at least a one yr tender of 5 mil or thereabouts. If he was worth anywhere near that, he'd been at LT this yr instead of Smith and since we were in dire need of a LT, he blew his chance to prove it. NO way he's worth that. We can't trade him cuz he's a UFA. Somebody may offer him a little som'n on the open mkt but there ain't no way anyone would give a one #1 for him let alone 2 of them. I "know this" cuz those "anyones" are our FO !! :lol:

Originally posted by Saint Greg

Actually O-gun is a RFA....so you just need to tender him the high tender amount which is much less than a franchise player. It would be somewhere between 1.5-2mil....If someone signs him, you get 1st and 3rd round picks. If nobody signs him, you get him pretty cheap next year. If you don't extend him within the next year he will be a UFA and then you need to look at franchising him....the franchise number for a DE this past season was 7.17 mil....So i'd hope to either get rid of him...or extend him within the next year.

Very good to the point info! The "simpler" the info, the better!! ;)

The tender would be less, Miami can still match any offer sheet signed, but wouldn't recieve compensation. Its practically impossible to put the franshise tag on on Wade. Whatever his tender off is, which is about 6 million bucks, is treated as a year contract all of which counts against the cap, Miami has to be under the cap by that 6 million to even tag him, which is highly unlikely. The transition tag might still ward off potential suitors, but not in the way the fran. tag would.

Mannings tender is approx. 18 because he actually made more money in 2003, then what the top 5 average for QB's would make in 2004. Thus his 1 year tender would be 120% more then what he made in 2003.

Yes, but he's not even worth what a T tag is worth, which is like what, the top 10 [instead of 5 on a F tag] ??

The transition tender is that high this year? wow I figured for a number closer to 4 million. Still a viable option, because if we ended up signing Todd long term we wouldn't have to worry about losing the franshise tag.

Something that might need to be reserved for Chris Chambers.

Even at 4 mil, you're talkin' about a 3+ mil increase. Sorry, he's just not worth it. I doubt if he'd get a 2 mil offer anywhere else. This is one time I would support the Fins "low-ball" tactics. If we did lose him, it's not a big deal. IMO, Greenwood made bigger strides this year for a better contract.

Chambers is the one to start worrying about. We need to work on an extention now, before all the mini-camps and such start. Don't need any more distractions for this new passing game "priority" that Wannstedt spoke of [again] the other day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom