Help | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Help

AOL is a problem in and of itself.
The reason you can do everything in IE, and not AOL...is because you're not in AOL.
As a tech who's been in the industry for many years, and even beta-tested AOL software several years ago... my best advice for anyone having problems with AOL is... get rid of it. your computer will thank you. ;)

The New Guy said:
Just because the Bills hired Dick Jauron is no reason to be grumpy to people. You may not need Java to view an animated Gif, but I do believe you need to be running JavaScript on this site to be able to use the Smiley icons. I said Java before, but I meant JavaScript. If you want to place restrictions on who can reply in this thread then maybe you should try and help the guy out and give a better answer than “ Because AOL s'cks big time that is why.†You can have 10000 posts, but that does not mean you are better equipped to answer anybody’s questions. I am sure one of the Mods will see this thread and will be able to tell you for sure what the problem is IronChef.

Well actually I am much more qualified.

Secondly, JavaScript and Java are entirely two different things.

JavaScript is a client-side scripting language.

Java is programming language.

They have nothing to do with each other.

I feel that the "AOL S'cks big time" line was right on and very accurate as to the cause of the AOL related problems. Wharf obviously agrees.

;)

You may indeed be “much more qualified†than I am to answer a computer related question, but your post count has nothing to do with that. I am not illiterate when it comes to computers, but I am not an expert by any means either. I know Java and Java-Script are different, that is why I clarified in my previous post. I was just trying to quickly answer IronChef’s question about why the Smiley icons were not working. You and WharfRat may agree that the Aol web browser stinks, but that does not answer IronChefs question as to why the smiley icons work with IE and not his Aol browser. The answer to that question is his Aol browser is not running or has problems running Java-Script, and his Internet Explorer browser does not have any problems. IronChef if you will let me know what version of Aol browser you are using, I will be better equipped to try and help answer your question. You could also give AOL a call and they should be able to help you out.

The New Guy said:
You and WharfRat may agree that the Aol web browser stinks, but that does not answer IronChefs question as to why the smiley icons work with IE and not his Aol browser.

Yes it does. AOL's browser sucks. It sucks so bad that it probably can't handle animated icons.

The New Guy said:
You may indeed be “much more qualified” than I am to answer a computer related question, but your post count has nothing to do with that. I am not illiterate when it comes to computers, but I am not an expert by any means either. I know Java and Java-Script are different, that is why I clarified in my previous post. I was just trying to quickly answer IronChef’s question about why the Smiley icons were not working. You and WharfRat may agree that the Aol web browser stinks, but that does not answer IronChefs question as to why the smiley icons work with IE and not his Aol browser. The answer to that question is his Aol browser is not running or has problems running Java-Script, and his Internet Explorer browser does not have any problems. IronChef if you will let me know what version of Aol browser you are using, I will be better equipped to try and help answer your question. You could also give AOL a call and they should be able to help you out.

Nowhere did harmonkoz imply that his post count had anything to do with anything.

Yeah his issue is JavaScript related but rather than try to fix (or adjust) a trash AOL browser, he'd be better off using IE or Mozilla.

byroan said:
Yes it does. AOL's browser sucks. It sucks so bad that it probably can't handle animated icons.

It seems that he can't use any controls on the page so I don't think he has a problem with animations. Rather when he clicks on a control like the B/I/U or the submit button, nothing happens.. IOW: JS is all ****** up.

Don't bother troubleshooting AOHELL, Chef. Use IE. :)

FiN.in.RI said:
Nowhere did harmonkoz imply that his post count had anything to do with anything.

Yeah his issue is JavaScript related but rather than try to fix (or adjust) a trash AOL browser, he'd be better off using IE or Mozilla.

He said, “There should be a restriction on replying to threads in this forum. i.e. Post count > 1000 or something :nono:.”

I am not sure how you translate that, but I take it to mean that he thinks that people with post below 1000 don’t know what they are talking about, and should not reply to these threads. I am not trying to say that the AOL browser is a good one. I have never used it and it may indeed be a terrible browser. But, just because most people don’t like the AOL browser does not mean that Chef dislikes it. He may really be pleased with how it works, and is trying to get it to work with Finheaven. IronChef is the one who was asking how to get his AOL browser to run Java-Script, and all I am trying to do is help him out. It’s his decision whether or not he wants to use the AOL browser or switch to a different one.

WharfRat said:
yes it does.

I guess if you were a mechanic and someone brought their car, (which is a pile of junk) into your shop and said my engine won’t turn over….what’s the problem? Rather than saying your problem is a dead battery, you would probably say the problem is your pile of junk car… that is the problem. :wink:

I know that you are far better equiped to help this guy out than I am, and I know what you are trying to say. AOL is a terrible browser and the browser is the problem. I am just trying to get specific.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude...seriously.

You can't polish a turd.
I've been doing desktop support for years... and the best way to troubleshoot anything to do with AOL, is to un-install it.
and yes... If I thought the cost of replacing the battery in your crappy car would exceed the cost of buying a better car... I would certainly tell you that. ;)

WharfRat said:
Dude...seriously.

You can't polish a turd.

We will just have to agree to disagree. You are right when you say he would be better off with a different browser. That would be the easiest way to solve his problem, but like I mentioned before IronChef may like his AOL browser and is trying to get the smiley icons to work with it. It should not be very difficult to help him figure out what is causing his problem, and I will try my best to help him…..if he wants me to do that.

Hey IronChef,

Did you ever get your problem Ironed out? Pun intended. :D

Back
Top Bottom