HERALD: Dolphins have ample cap space, expected to add multiple draft picks | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

HERALD: Dolphins have ample cap space, expected to add multiple draft picks

You mean like 2016 when they traded 3 draft picks to add a receiver in the draft when we already had Stills, Parker and Landry? Good thing our new front office isn't like that. :err:

What's on the agenda this year? Spend a first round pick on a safety?

The 3rd round pick isn't a big deal because we swapped ours for theirs. The 4th round pick was the cost to move up and the 6th....just a throw in that we can recoup easily. Not a bad trade for a guy you really want and who was rated higher.
Having depth isn't valued until you have to use it. We were fortunate that we did not have the injury bug to strike our WR core.

What always kills me is how the fans generally see exactly what's needed(LB, G, DL, etc) and the Dolphins go add something completely not on the list of priorities.
Hopefully this offseason will be following the blue print we all know they need to follow. Oh, and get it right at the same time.

In fairness, a lot depends on the talent pool at certain positions. It's not advisable to draft for need specifically in the draft. Miami took the LT at 13 because he was the BPA, not necessarily the biggest need. I think many would commend them for that. They also reached for security purposes by giving up a 4th to ensure themselves of a CB in Xavian Howard. We did the same with Juwan James in 2014. Good players, but over valued by us due to need.

The approach they took last offseason was actually the correct one. They filled their needs in free agency (Kiko, Maxwell, Williams, Branch, Bushrod, Jones) and went with what they felt were the best values in the draft, which sided on the offensive side of the ball. This draft the value is on defense and the same approach should be taken.

Keep in mind, this was a 10-6 team, a 10-6 team battered by injuries . . . . they got some things right last offseason to make that happen. They don't have a foundation because the approach in 2015 was to cut all the nonsense of this team from previous drafts and free agency periods. Cap needs to be right and development needs to happen.

The 3rd round pick isn't a big deal because we swapped ours for theirs. The 4th round pick was the cost to move up and the 6th....just a throw in that we can recoup easily. Not a bad trade for a guy you really want and who was rated higher.
Having depth isn't valued until you have to use it. We were fortunate that we did not have the injury bug to strike our WR core.

This is absolutely correct. Sent them 2 2017 picks to make up for already using our 2016 3rd on Drake. The 6th was a sweetner. Trade gets overblown around here . . . value matches up if that is a guy you want.

The argument should be with the pick, but if you trust Gase you have to trust the pick.

Love the fluff trying to reason the trade up for Caroo involving mutiple picks.

Dumb ****ing trade any way you spin it.

it was a bad trade...when you get a late 3rd round pick in return and you trade your late 3rd AND the following years 3rd and 4th that's bad business especially when you already have a top 3 wr group going in

let's not put a bow on this one

Love the fluff trying to reason the trade up for Caroo involving mutiple picks.

Dumb ****ing trade any way you spin it.

You call it fluff . . . . but I didn't want the trade either. Team is in no position to give up any top 4 round assets, and we did that twice in that draft.

That said, when you hear the impression the kid had on Gase and the WR coaches, their seems to be a plan in place for Carroo and the only way to calm the doubters down is production.

also if you do make that damn trade you damn well better not be dropping $10 mil per the following offseason in a #3 wr

then it becomes clown shoes

it was a bad trade...when you get a late 3rd round pick in return and you trade your late 3rd AND the following years 3rd and 4th that's bad business especially when you already have a top 3 wr group going in

Nah we used our 3rd on Drake.

We essentially picked up a 2016 late 3rd . . . . and traded our 2017 late 3rd and 2017 late 4th (potential comp picks from OV/Miller) . . . and threw them the 2016 6th.

---------- Post added at 11:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 AM ----------

also if you do make that damn trade you damn well better not be dropping $10 mil per the following offseason in a #3 wr

then it becomes clown shoes

Exactly

the comp picks don't weigh in here nor should they as much as people want to use them as validation

again though drop $10 mil in Kenny stills and this goes from bad to straight up awful before the ink dries on his john han****

Hell no,

I can only imagine had we just waited on Howard to fall to us in the 2nd round, we probably could of just drafted Drake and Carroo in rounds 3 and 4. We got desperate because we spent the 4th on Howard because he was the last legit press CB type left worth a damn. All of this is hypothetical of course but just saying.

Would of loved to have both our 3rd and our 4th . . . plus the 3rd and 4th comp picks. Would be sitting pretty with 6 picks in the top 130. You could take a OJ Howard in round 1 and be content knowing you had 5 picks left on defense.

Now your hands are tied.

And people think we are giving Stills a huge deal. I doubt it.

I think this is where the confusion is. We did NOT give up our 2016 3rd round pick (notice that the Vikings did not have a 2016 3rd round selection after they traded theirs to Miami). We used our 2016 3rd round pick to get Drake. We gave up a 2016 6th; and 2017 3rd and 4th round picks.

I think this is where the confusion is. We did NOT give up our 2016 3rd round pick (notice that the Vikings did not have a 2016 3rd round selection after they traded theirs to Miami). We used our 2016 3rd round pick to get Drake. We gave up a 2016 6th; and 2017 3rd and 4th round picks.

ok I didn't know that...you have to give up more than you get in return for teams to trade with you anyways and if you pay it forward even more which is likely what that 6th rounder was as sweetener...but it doesn't change the fact that you had a top 3 wr group already in place and if you can't in 2017 make caroo a #3 wr that says a lot about the player...by year 2 he should be able to handle that...where gase draws the line on stills value is gonna say a lot on how he thinks of caroo going forward

we can't drop $35 million per in 3 wrs which with landrys pact dvp a very possible 5th year option pick up and stills making a ridiculous $10 mil per we'd be at

I'm comfortable with caroo as my #3 wr in 2017 provided we can add to the tight end position and maybe find a cheap speed option...but if not caroos got to step up...stills role was significant but he's always gonna be a #3 wr in Miami with landry and dvp here...and he's an inconsistent route runner too...it's not a mission critical provided we supplement other ways

also Kenyan drake could be a fall back option and maybe mini mouse if he ever catches the damn ball

Last edited by a moderator:
If there is any way we can trade for Jimmy Graham (Seattle is having cap problems), we should try to make that happen. He would become a cornerstone of our team if he were in Miami. This guy is exactly the type of TE the Gase offense features and exactly who we need. If we could then add a RG like Kevin Zeitler, that would be a phenomenal free agency and allow us to concentrate on DL and LB in the draft. THAT is the free agency I'd love to see.

Many fans are stuck on Stills. Well for good reason. He does take the top off of the defense, but I think that the plan all along was for Carroo to take on that 3rd WR position. I expect that other teams will present Stills with a home run package that includes guaranteed dump truck sized signing bonus and a starting position. It will be very interesting to see how this plays out.

So essentially we are getting a 4th and maybe two 6ths since they are comp picks.

1st
2nd
3rd (4th really)
5th
5th (6th)
5th (6th)
6th
7th

Wow.... we better hope like hell some of the guys we need fall to us in the first two rounds

Back
Top Bottom