Here are some details on our new players | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Here are some details on our new players

FWIW, OTC is showing us at 5.79mill over the cap right now.....that doesn’t include the deals for Poyer,Brewer and Barrett.....I'm sure there's a plan in place and the Armstead deal doesn’t seem to be included in there yet....we'll see what other moves the team makes

I think this shows just how well this team is viewed around the league. Jonnu Smith mentioned that seeing the team on Hard Knocks as well as the players and coaches on the team, specifically Tua, were reasons he took a bit less to come here. It seems other players see the same thing, and this is a great sign of what's being built here.
Absolutely. There is a bad team tax for sure (bad teams have to overpay to get free agents to sign with them). Looks like we're reaping the benefits of being viewed as a good team + beautiful weather of Miami.

yes but that's with only 28 players under contract
No question, but we have room to maneuver in resigning guys.

We have some big ones coming up in Waddle, Phillips and Holland and will need the flexibility to deal with that.

Starting with $50M - $60M is a hell of a lot better than starting the process being in the hole.....

Last edited:
players around the NFL really like McDaniel....I think he's the biggest draw for players wanting to come here
Agreed. Poyer took almost nothing to come here. Smith said that he decided to come here after watching Hard Knocks. I'm sure those ratings by the NFLPA helped too. Some posters (the usual suspects) poo-pooed that news but I think it's pretty obvious that it has had an impact on the talent coming in and the cost of that talent.

It's not always just about the money and I wouldn't be surprised if we add some notable vets late in offseason for near minimums to fill in holes and round out the roster.

I really like what we’ve done overall after losing some good talent. No longer in cap hell either. Not sure how it’s gonna translate on the field yet but at least we have some flexibility moving forward either way
Really, the only player that I can see to probably stick around longer than a year or so will be Brooks and Smith. Don't let yourself get fooled with all these other guys. We still need to keep our eyes set on the OL first, MLBs next, then DTs. I guess DT and MLB could be reversed but we've been without an actual stud at MLB for waaaaaaaay to long. Brooks can buy us time but that's all he is. I'm still drafting MLBs.

I think given our cap we have had a great opening to getting ready for 2024. The draft should be really good to us because it is deep everywhere we will be looking.
I'm curious to see if we bring back Wynn, and if we don't add another Safety or Elliott since we will be runnning 3 Safeties in our nickel and Dimes at times.

Hope we can field a decent team and we stay healthy for a change in 2024.

Thanks for the updates to OP.
Staying healthy alone we could win 12 games and host a playoff game. We have to get more playing time out of our core players to improve to the next level.
The Draft should really help as there seems to be a lot of Depth there on OL and DL and we should be able to hit on some great picks with all those selections rounds 1-3.
I have a lot of confidence in what Grier will do with our picks.

Staying healthy alone we could win 12 games and host a playoff game. We have to get more playing time out of our core players to improve to the next level.
The Draft should really help as there seems to be a lot of Depth there on OL and DL and we should be able to hit on some great picks with all those selections rounds 1-3.
I have a lot of confidence in what Grier will do with our picks.
Now that we have some additional compensatory picks next year maybe we can trade a couple for an additional 3rd or 4t this year. I'd be surprised if that center from Oregon falls to 21st in the first and we don't pick him up.

Main priorities should be the oline and we've been saying that for a while now and wilkins replacement..

Just hoping for best.

Considering the limited cap money I feel Grier has done a great job of signing players who can come in and contribute from day one.
My favorite signing so far is Brooks. He is entering the prime of his career and should be a big upgrade over Baker at a much more team friendly contract.

We've said all along that the team would have to bargain hunt this offseason... but I don't think any of us expected this level of return.

I had expected more Nixon and Mack level of players... fringe prospects, and we're getting a much higher quality than anyone suspected.

If we can draft a couple of big men for the lines... and find guys who are ready quickly, we're looking really good here.

Four things at play:

1. Pretty much every team overspends. Every team. It creates a market inefficiency. The middle tier gets tightened and a few players get pushed to the top but most get pushed to the bottom.
2. The Dolphins had open positions, and, therefore, opportunities to play and build up their resumes to improve their tax bracket.
3. The lack of a state tax means players get more bang for their buck playing in Florida.
4. Whether or not you like McDaniel, he's a players' coach. The players love him. They love not having to rein themselves in. Human nature. And I suspect parting with Fangio might have even made him a more popular coach for whom to play ... don't keep the guy who is raining on the parade.

All that, and the Dolphins should be an average team at the very least even with the guys that departed and there's a lot of attractiveness around the organization.

Back
Top Bottom