Here's a guy we should keep an eye on if cut | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Here's a guy we should keep an eye on if cut

DolphinDevil28

I like boobs.
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Saints | Mariscal Impressive - from www.KFFL.com
Sat, 12 Jul 2003 15:03:19 -0700

Jeff Duncan, of the New Orleans Times-Picayune, reports for the Sporting News that New Orleans Saints rookie P Mark Mariscal has been impressive during the off-season and has out-kicked veteran P Mitch Berger. Berger is not in jeopardy of losing his job after signing a five-year deal with the team. If Mariscal is cut, he could hook on with another team due to the league's lack of quality punters.

Not a bad Idea consider the lackluster average punt we had last year.

Although I do have some reservation about Rookies and punting. There is something to be said about the speed of the NFL and how it freaks a 180lb man out to have 11 250 plus pound men running that fast towards him :lol:.

Definitely sounds tempting but I dont think the Dolphins would be willing to hand a roster spot to him over Mark Royals because we know how Royals will react to NFL game situations, we dont know that about the rookie Mariscal...plus Royals and Mare have developed a good rapport as holder and kicker, and Mare is very very touchy about his holders and getting use to them.

Guys I would keep an eye on are WR Quentin McCord out of Atlanta, and WR Marc Lester out of Baltimore. Both guys are on the bubble and I watched McCord make a lot of plays over in Atlanta this season but might be beaten out for a job by Trevor Gaylor. WR Marc Lester played in NFL Europe this season for the Frankfurt Galaxy and was the #1 WR...Robert Baker was the #2 WR. I got a chance to watch Lester and Baker play and came away more impressed with Lester than Baker...because he's HUGE, got pretty good speed, the guy was making ridiculous catches and was making plays all over the field no matter what he was doing. He looked like a man among boys.

The only problem with these two guys is either one of them would likely have to replace either Oronde Gadsden or JR Tolver on the roster...and Tolver has a lot of potential to just be cut in favor of some other team's guy...and the teammates all favor Oronde and wouldn't take it so good if we got Lester or McCord.

But still one could wish. I get a real good feelin about McCord and Lester, I think McCord can be a great all-around utility man on the field great speed.

Yeah, we sure do know how Royals responds in game situations....Which is exactly why we should sign Mariscal if he is cut. Too bad if Olindo has to have a new holder.

It astounds me how many people can judge a man based on one punt and completely forget about the other 68 punts.

It just so happens that the NE game at the end was his worst game of the year. But he also had to punt it 8 frickin times in that game so I dont think its much of a coincidence.

I'm not just talking about that one punt, there were way more.

However, that one punt was when our playoff berth was on the line. And look what he did.

I heard we had a good young punter we would be looking at.

Originally posted by fisnfan0018
I heard we had a good young punter we would be looking at.

You're talking about Kevin Streme, or something like that, the only problem we have is that Royals is doubting as Mare's holder, that might keep us from looking seriously at any other punter.

As far the WR thing, the game you saw CK was 1 in a million for that receiver, Baker was kicking his butt in every other game..You caught Lester on one of his better games, not saying he's not good, he was in NFLE, but with our situation of OG, Baker, Tolver and Newson..I doubt if we really pick up another WR, unless he's proven somehow.

I agree I thought Lester had his standout game when it mattered, in the championship game over there. Baker was clearly the number one option in every other game.

As far as Royals goes. I was a staunch supporte ofhim all of last yer, he made very good directional punts to pin some teams deep. His average really wasn't that terrible and was within a yards average of about 4 other punter, which would have put him near the top in the AFC. However, when he shanked the most important punt of the season, he lost my support. It was a that time that I figured it was time to get someone new. I am willing to soften my stance a little now and give him a second chance, but if he muffs a few early in camp I say start looking fast and furious for someone new.

Royals is supposed to be a good "directional punter". . .

Yeah, right into the sidelines after 25 yards.

We are talking about Punters here, not kickers or holders or anythinglike that...a punter. I think the rookie can handle the real game time situations, regardless of Mark Royals experience. If the man can kick the damn ball, then let's get him, no more 14 yard punts.

I don't think we will cut Royals. He isn't a good punter, but he holds for Mare, and if we replace with someone else, it will help our punting game but possibly hurt us on field goals. We could use a replacement for Royals, but I don't see it happening this season.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
It astounds me how many people can judge a man based on one punt and completely forget about the other 68 punts.

It just so happens that the NE game at the end was his worst game of the year. But he also had to punt it 8 frickin times in that game so I dont think its much of a coincidence.

8 punts??? big deal he punts 36256235 times a day....if ricky rushed 8 times and fumbled once for a game we wouldnt feel bad for him...if fiedler threw 8 times and got picked once we wouldnt coddle him hell hed be pounced on........dont make excuses for him he just didnt deliver

Uhh guys, Marc Lester caught for more yards over there in Europe than Robert Baker did. He had more catches as well. He was the #1 guy, and the game I watched showed this. I'm a little smarter than to just see production and then therefore assume that the guy with the most production is #1. I watched their offense, and saw where the two of them lined up and what kinds of routes they were running.

It was obvious that Marc Lester was the first option on just about any given play. He was making plays no matter what he did, be it blocking downfield, reversing, fake reversing, etc. He never came out on any given down, never came off the field be it goal line or whatever. Robert Baker did come out. Baker was Albert Connell to Lester's Michael Westbrooks...Alvin Harper to Michael Irvin. And the fact that he has 10 more catches than Baker and more yards merely shows that what I saw in the World Bowl was not anything new.

And Royals didn't really have any bad punts until the end of the year. Like I said, people just remember him for one punt.

Back
Top Bottom