Here's a Question for everyone | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Here's a Question for everyone

PhinPhreak

Perennial All-Pro
Reaction score
Do you think that winning a Super Bowl and not making the playoffs the following year cheapens the win, I know most Fans would be happy just winning it, but overall does it mean that you might have just been the flavor of the year? Does it really mean you were the best team or just the luckiest team?

What I really mean is winning the SB and then at least being competitive the next year gives some credibility to the win, but winning the SB then missing the playoffs(Pats, Giants, Bucs) sort of takes away from the accomplishment.

Dont get me wrong I will take a SB win for the Fins anyday, but I would also be dsappointed if they could defend their championship the next year.

What is your thought?

I agree, but many teams have salary cap problems all the time so atleat one good player on a team has to go each year.. and one player can mess up the team.. if we do win the sb, i hope we keep the same team and maybe get better to defend next year..

I don't care if we go 6-10 (no less than that) the following year, JUST WIN A SUPERBOWL. That would be my dream come true. Yes it would be great to defend our title deep into the playoffs the next year but crap happens and its a competitve league every single year and every single Sunday.

JUST WIN ONE DURING MY LIFETIME, just one.

Originally posted by PhinPhreak
Do you think that winning a Super Bowl and not making the playoffs the following year cheapens the win, I know most Fans would be happy just winning it, but overall does it mean that you might have just been the flavor of the year? Does it really mean you were the best team or just the luckiest team?

What I really mean is winning the SB and then at least being competitive the next year gives some credibility to the win, but winning the SB then missing the playoffs(Pats, Giants, Bucs) sort of takes away from the accomplishment.

Dont get me wrong I will take a SB win for the Fins anyday, but I would also be dsappointed if they could defend their championship the next year.

What is your thought?
i don't think a run like the steelers and bills had are possible anymore with the salary cap and FA's. i do think that a team that wins the SB should be competetive the following year! the bucs sure are having their problems.;)

If you win the Super Bowl, it doesn't matter if you are a dynasty or a one year wonder, you won the Super Bowl. I don't think doing poorly after winning a Super Bowl cheapens the victory.

It doesn't look like there will be any more dynasties. The NFL doesn't want that anyway.

That's why LOSING the Superbowl is so hard to take. It could take years and years to get back.

What you do the year after certainly doesn't cheapen it. It's like you always hear players say, "We've won....and no one can ever take this accomplishment away".

I'd like to win the damn thing and then worry about next year, next year. ;)

I'd not worry so much about the next year. Look at it this way:

Last season, and it looked like this season, that neither of the SB teams will make the playoffs.

I'd like for the Fins to win a ring before I die. I do think it would cheapen the win if you have the same players around the following year like the Bucs & Raiders do, but not if you have a fire sale like the Ravens did.

As long as the Drew Rosenhaus agents are around, we'll never ever see a dynasty again for sure. "My client just won the Superbowl, he should be making more money than Bill Gates."

And in the case with the Dolphins winning the Superbowl, Rosenhaus would say: "All 6 of my clients just won the Superbowl, we need to restructure their contracts so that they can each obtain 10% ownership of the team"

I think it does to a certain extent cheapen the win a little bit, but since it's becoming more and more common that the Super Bowl representatives aren't as competitive the next year, it might not matter.

When the Patriots won the Super Bowl all of my friends said, "That was such a fluke!" then next year they finish 9-7 and miss the playoffs and it only solidified their mindset that the 2001 Pats were a fluke.

(I never thought they were by the way.) I think winning a Super Bowl and missing the playoffs by tie-breakers like the Patriots did isn't as bad, but missing the playoffs ENTIRELY like the Giants, Buccaneers, and Raiders is just...

So yes, it does cheapen the win a tad bit.

Was PhinPhreak suggesting that the Giants have won the Super Bowl in recent history? I'm just making sure I wasn't in a cave for a year lol.

I personally don't think it cheapens the win. I don't believe the Pats got there on their own merit (refs) so that cheapens it. However, when a team comes out the proceding year they have a target on their back. Other teams are somewhat savvy to their methods. If a team goes back-to-back that just means they were able to continue to be successful although people were gunning for them.

Well you could look at it this way, you win it all then a year later your team plays poorly and your in position for a high draft pick, or stay strong and be in position to win again. Either way works for me.

Originally posted by JPhinfan86
Was PhinPhreak suggesting that the Giants have won the Super Bowl in recent history? I'm just making sure I wasn't in a cave for a year lol.

I personally don't think it cheapens the win. I don't believe the Pats got there on their own merit (refs) so that cheapens it. However, when a team comes out the proceding year they have a target on their back. Other teams are somewhat savvy to their methods. If a team goes back-to-back that just means they were able to continue to be successful although people were gunning for them.

LOL Well I was trying to think of a few off the top of my head, I was talking the year after they beat the Bills. But we could consider the Giants that played against the Ravens too(even though they didn't actually win).

I also could of included Denver but they had won back to back so I don't think they could be included in this conversation.

Really like I said I am not talking specifically about the Fins because of course every fan would give anything for a SB win just the overall perspective.

The Pats and Bucs are a great example, people said after the game it was luck, and for them to not even make the playoffs the following year adds to that myth. I know it's hard to make the SB back to back years but a team should at least be able to be good enough to challenge for it.

I do agree we will probably never see a dynasty again but again we are only talking one year later.

Back
Top Bottom