Here's One Glaring Issue Brock Osweiler Must Solve In His Bid For Dolphins' Backup Qb Job

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by DKphin, Jun 8, 2018.

1. DKphin

DKphin A True Fan Donator

[​IMG]
    Quarterback Brock Osweiler (8) is trying to salvage his career and win the Dolphins' backup quarterback job. His accuracy has been erratic in offseason practices. Sam Navarro snavarro@miamiherald.com

What’s frustrating is the inconsistency with accuracy. On Wednesday, he followed one great throw to Albert Wilson with a pass that was off the mark.

Then he had pass swatted away by Andre Branch at the line of scrimmage. And that was followed by a really well-thrown ball to Grant.

Osweiler needs to level out his performances — and curtail the poor throws — if he’s going to beat out David Fales and underdog Bryce Petty for the backup quarterback job this summer.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/s...y-jackson/article212737609.html#storylink=cpy

2. Blake the great

Blake the great A True Fan

He'll get cut, as he should im fine rolling with Fales and Petty as our backups. Send the lobster back to where he belongs, to the sea!

3. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

Wouldn't he be a giraffe? He is crazy tall for a QB

crumpdaddy and kcbrown like this.
  4. Blake the great

Blake the great A True Fan

I agree but he's been referred to as the lobster from his former teams and their fans

5. Delsolar16

Delsolar16 Active Member

If you haven't fixed your accuracy issues through high school, college, and being an NFL starter, then this is as good as it's gonna get

Ray R, DolfanDuBbZ~ and kcbrown like this.
  6. kcbrown

kcbrown Life is what we make it. Donator

I said this in another thread and got slammed.

He is not going to make it.

7. 39wildman

39wildman A True Fan

he is just camp arm. he will be cut by sept1

Ray R likes this.
  8. gregorygrant83

gregorygrant83 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

He'll be fine as a back up. Has some traits some starters don't have. Has flaws no doubt, but so do most back up qbs. Early reports is the backup job is Fales' to lose. I'm still trying to see if the team keeps two or three qbs.

Ray R likes this.
  9. ANUFan

ANUFan FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

The last time I watched Brock play was with Houston. I couldn't believe I was watching a starting NFL QB that was incapable, either because of the coaching staff lack of trust or that QB's lack of talent, of making a 10 yard throw.

Yet, he's still employed? How the heck does that work?

Ray R likes this.
  10. Pandarilla

Pandarilla A True Fan

[​IMG]

That one glaring issue is...being Brock Osweiler.

Aqua and Orange and NoblePhin like this.
  11. 39wildman

39wildman A True Fan

Brock Osweiler please retire you got money and superbowl ring

12. BSQ

BSQ Scout Team

Osweiler isn't hurting anybody. Let him compete like his career is on the line because it is. If he doesn't make our 53 you can stick a fork in the guy. But, word is they are working on his mechanics and maybe they'll get things fixed.

fininpsl, Ray R and tazthenomad like this.
  13. phintim

phintim Seasoned Veteran

3 to 4 NFL teams offered alot for this guy wonder what they see other than his size?

Ray R likes this.
  14. claytonduper

claytonduper Starter

Perhaps the change in his mechanics is affecting his accuracy. If he can clean it up over the next 1 month before training camp then best of luck and let the best QB win the job.

Ray R likes this.
  15. gregorygrant83

gregorygrant83 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Cannon for an arm and NFL starting experience. He might not be a starter at this point of his career, but the flaws people point out in his game exist in a vast majority of back up quarterbacks.

Ray R likes this.
  16. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer Tape Guys vs Analytics Guys Finheaven VIP Donator

He's always had accuracy issues. That's why they're changing his mechanics.

Ray R likes this.
  17. crumpdaddy

crumpdaddy FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

physical tools, I don't even think he has accuracy issues...it has to be mechanical somewhere. accuracy issues you miss a some passes. a lot of his incompletions you would think that it was flipper throwing the football, he has something else going on upstairs, but..

camp arm, reclamation project. didn't seem like adam even really wanted him. but low not guaranteed money so they can cut him any day. Was probably one of those deals where adam said "fine, im going in to camp with fales as my #2, if I cant do anything with Brock he's getting a quick axe. I'm sure if gase isn't happy with him when actual training camp starts then he'll get a quick cut. I really don't see how much gase is going to be able to work on him now since he's head coach and 3rd string QB isn't high on his priority list for investing time in. there are a lot of QB's out there that would still get a chance if they offered to play on vet min with no guaranteed.

heck if he sucks too bad wouldn't surprise me if they didn't bring back zac dysert back for a training camp arm,

Ray R likes this.
  18. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Seasoned Veteran

This falls in the whoop de do bin .... don’t think this matters a hill of beans to our season. If for some reason he plays lights out - great, if not - Fales will be good enough and Petty can sit on the PS .... all good ...

Ray R likes this.
  19. ANUFan

ANUFan FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Then why not bring in someone from some practice squad somewhere that could maybe be more?

tazthenomad likes this.
  20. Danny

Danny Finheaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Very hard to teach a QB how to be accurate. It's the hardest thing to fix imo. You either have it or you don't.

21. fininpsl

fininpsl A True Fan Donator

Because there really aren't many guys out there that are any better. Competent QB's are in really short supply. That's why Matt Moore hung on as long as he did. If we were relying solely on Brock as our main backup QB competition or if we were paying him more than the paltry salary he is earning, I'd be concerned. But we have three candidates for the backup QB job. Brock has an idea of what Gase wants and some physical tools. He's a low % gamble, but we have invested minimally in the bet. No practice squad QB would have any greater chance of being a good bet themselves. Those guys just don't pan out all that often either.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    Ray R and crumpdaddy like this.
  22. tazthenomad

tazthenomad FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I like your thought process. Maybe they thought the same thing and haven't done it because:

1. They aren't aware of a PS candidate that is worth the effort considering,
    2. The backup QB positions affect the quality of practice and the development of a lot of others. Knowing the system has value along with physical tools in running practice.

I hope they are being diligent and keep looking. Heck, the brought in Petty and that wasn't an obvious move to me.

Ray R and fininpsl like this.
  23. crumpdaddy

crumpdaddy FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Maybe they also had their mind on a udfa that signed elsewhere. I was thinking riley ferg had rumors that we signed him, not the titans. We might poach after preseason

Ray R likes this.
  24. spiketex

spiketex Kiko, El Bravo 47 - the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

Why is he called the lobster?

25. lurking

lurking FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Brock > Rock Lobster

Ray R and spiketex like this.
  26. Ray R

Ray R FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

It occurs to me that there are two types of internal pressure QB's (and others) have to address within themselves.

The first is the kind a less prominent player faces. He needs to focus on what he can do and what he needs to do to improve. He is always looking forward to face this pressure. The second is probably most prominent in early draft picks and veterans who are loosing their positions. That pressure is a fear of being left behind as opposed to looking forward. Some may simplify it by calling it a loss of confidence and that is fine, but it ignores the fact that the player is looking backward; not forward.

It will be nice if Brock can overcome whatever his problems are, but we will not be destitute if he fails.

27. Aqua ‘N Orange

Aqua ‘N Orange Active Member

Forcing the ball to his primary regardless of coverage or leverage played is his biggest flaw.

28. Ju1cy_St3ak_route

Ju1cy_St3ak_route Active Member

If you can't beat out D.Fales, then you defnitely don't belong in the NFL. Imo, Fales is not even 3rd string worthy, maybe he is good & dependable in the QB room, but as far as arm talent, the guy doesn't fkkn have it. I honestly believe B.Petty can grab that back-up spot. Only reason Fales & Osweiler can make the team is really based on their knowledge of Gase's system and that is always good for the offense. But as far as talent goes, David & Brock suck.

39wildman likes this.