Hester In The 3rd? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hester In The 3rd?

UF Fin Kat said:
he didn't say they were better returnmen. he said drafting a guy who only returns kicks is useless when we already have TWO good ones.

Exactly. My point wasn't that Reid is a better return man that Hester. What I said is that Hester is only a return man, Reid's a better pick because he's also a polished reciever. Plus he's a good return man. Jeez... As far as being down on Boomer, I think most people on this site would disagree with you. Boomer is one of the smartest people on the site. He's the draft Guru.

kpcane said:
You're the one that's missing the point. Teams actually kicked to Willie Reid. Reid got 9 more punt returns than Hester, and I remember several times Hester wouldn't call for a fair catch because he got so few opportunities. But let's think about this. Why would Willie Reid have more punt returns than Hester? FSU's defense was better? Nope. Miami's total defense was more than 30 yards per game better, and their scoring defense was about 8 points per game better. You can't return punts if they don't kick it to you. If I had time I'd check to see what their punt return average was on non-TD scoring returns, and I'd guarantee you Hester's would be better.
WOW!! 9 more punt returns! That's less than one more per game so that's not a big enough reason to say teams actually kicked more to Reid than Hester. Hester's problem (IMO) is that he started to believe his own hype rather than working hard enough to live up to it.

Hester is a good looking prospect at WR but he didn't really have a true position in college. he has tons of talent and is a beast of a return man but he must learn to play WR

kpcane said:
Uh yeah and Charlie Batch is better than Matt Leinart.
Don't misconstrue my comments for the sake of argument. You and I both know that comparing Leinart and Batch is different than comparing two kick-returners. Hester is a great athelete and a great kick returner, and with time he may take snaps as a wide receiver in the NFL. The Dolphins don't need a kick returner, however, and a wide receiver would be picked to contribute immediately. Hester simply is not the right pick for Miami in the third round, especially when the team only has 6 picks remaining.

everyone likes to down the guys above them. boomer knows more about the draft than anyone here. and he's right on with this issue especially.

UF Fin Kat said:
Boomer knows more about the draft than anyone here. and he's right on with this issue especially.

Yep. I'm not Saying Hester won't be a good return man in the NFL. What I'm saying is that he's 1-dimensional and is a project at best for WR. No way he plays corner in the NFL and you can only make so much of an impact if all you can do is return kicks.

hester is SICk at returning kicks and punts. He is fast but not the fastest(moss) was, hester has mad return skills, he has unbelievable acceleration. He is the fastest ive ever seen from 0-60. yes he lacked the smarts, but he will be good one day, i see him playing wr for some reason in the NFL not db not cb but wr. And no, i do not see Mr.Saban picking up Hester.

MiamiDolphins34 said:
Im not sure whether id spend a 3rd on Hester but id sure spend a 4th on him because he can win you games like Dante Hall or give you good field position.
Kick returning doesn't really win games. The top three teams in avg. kick return yards last year were:
1. Buffalo 2. Houston 3. NY Jets

The Super Bowl champion Steelers were 21st in the NFL. The Seahawks were 16th. The Broncos were 25th, the Panthers were 27th, the Colts were 28th,and the Bears were 29th.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statistics?stat=teamreturn&pos=off&league=nfl&season=2&year=2005

Geforce said:
WOW!! 9 more punt returns! That's less than one more per game so that's not a big enough reason to say teams actually kicked more to Reid than Hester. Hester's problem (IMO) is that he started to believe his own hype rather than working hard enough to live up to it.

I'd say 9 more punt returns is a significant number, considering they each had 10 games with punt returns. Why don't you ask a statistician if they think that's significant. The only problem Hester had, is that he began to return anything that was remotely returnable, because he had so few opportunities. Even with those mistakes he still managed over 14 yards per return.

MiamiDolphins34 said:
Yea..and better agree with him or else he gets biatchy and disses people:rolleyes2

Yeah I've seen it first hand.

Flyer22 said:
Kick returning doesn't really win games. The top three teams in avg. kick return yards last year were:
1. Buffalo 2. Houston 3. NY Jets

The Super Bowl champion Steelers were 21st in the NFL. The Seahawks were 16th. The Broncos were 25th, the Panthers were 27th, the Colts were 28th,and the Bears were 29th.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statistics?stat=teamreturn&pos=off&league=nfl&season=2&year=2005

Well I guess you can also say that defense doesn't really win games either. Baltimore was 5th, Green Bay was 7th, and Arizona was 8th.

The point is, you need many components to win games, and field position is a huge factor, because it puts less pressure on the offense, and allows the defense to afford to be creative. I think offensive and defensive lines are most important, and then special teams are second in determining who wins games.

Back
Top Bottom