History Shows.. Big Late Season Wins For Big Let Downs | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

History Shows.. Big Late Season Wins For Big Let Downs

That article has the dumbest example ever, with the Raiders game. First off, the Raiders game was at home. Second, we had our regular 7-day rest coming into that game, not 3 1/2. Third, we won the damn game by 6 points. This Cowboys game was against the top-seeded NFC team, on the road, on Thanksgiving, and we KILLED them. Could've scored 54 points in that game.

Huge difference. But hey, Chambers did shine in both. With a 7-138 day and a 3 TD day. :D

I read that article and it made all the sense in the world...

It's definetly warranted. Until Miami proves otherwise, you only have recent history to go on.

however, I like what I'm seeing from Jay Fiedler in the last two games. I'm actually worried more about the defense and the porpensity to give up the big play. I hope this year is different, but you never know. If it's any consolation, it's what JF has said along with what he's done. I've posted earlier how I thought JF really missed Mike Shula's coaching cause it looked like he regressed from last year, but hearing him say how sitting on the sidelines rejuvenated him as well as he learned a great deal from BG, with his quick realease and accuracy and how he reevalutated the fundamentals. You can see it in his game. Especially when he stood firm in the pocket knowing he was gonna take a hit but he waited until RW got into position to make a good throw. He looks poised and confident. I like what I'm seeing from Chris Chambers as well. It's evident that when he's involed in the offense and on his game, the opposing defense is in trouble. As long as our pass attack can consitantly break down a defense, ricky will have room to roam. Hell ricky is starting to punish defenses and that's a great sign.

so all in all, I like our chances down the stretch. Our two biggest obstacles are NE and the Eagles. I think we proved earlier this year we can beat NE. Our defense is definetly gonna have to step up that game and shut down their pass attack. Philly, we have to shut down their running game and force McNabb to try and beat us. Of course he's capable of breaking a game open, but I think he'll be more prone to make a mistake than bust out.. but you never know. I'm not overlooking Buffalo and the Jets because they always play us hard, but with the Bills, if you pressure Bledsoe, he crumbles like Griese and if you shut down the Jets offense, which we are more than capable of, we can run through them like a hooker at Hunts Point

I didn't have any problem with the article. It's true that a lot of teams will have poor Decembers every year, but I can't think of any other team that seems consistently to get through November well-positioned for the playoffs and then lose a couple at the end, missing out on a bye, or the division, or even the playoffs altogether.

At 8-4, Miami has a .667 winning percentage. To finish 2-2 over the last four means that you're closing out the season weaker than you've played all year - whether you stumble in as a wildcard team or not.

I think the real point is that whipping the Cowboys is at this point no more or less relevant than having gotten whipped by the Titans. The comparison to last year's Oakland game is valid. This season will only be 'different' when it actually is, not when we find encouraging reasons to believe it's going to be. (I do find the Dallas game very encouraging, by the way, for several reasons.)

I do hope that the 10-day rest, this late in the season, will be an extra edge going into the Patriots game. Too bad the Pats/Colts game isn't Monday night but hey, you can't have everything.

I can't think of any other team that seems consistently to get through November well-positioned for the playoffs and then lose a couple at the end, missing out on a bye, or the division, or even the playoffs altogether.

Broncos, Chargers, Saints.

Originally posted by SkapePhin
I can't think of any other team that seems consistently to get through November well-positioned for the playoffs and then lose a couple at the end, missing out on a bye, or the division, or even the playoffs altogether.

Broncos, Chargers, Saints.

Yes, good point on those. Even so, as I recall those teams have tended to have promising starts but begin to fade just past mid-season, rather than in the last few games. Have any of them looked like 'the team to beat' as late as say weeks 12-14? More than once?

I'm not pessimistic about the Fins next month, just pointing out that Miami's reputation for weak finishes isn't some media creation. And the playoff blowouts (not to mention last year's nightmare in New England) haven't helped matters any.

Back
Top Bottom