Hot Stove news | Page 14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hot Stove news

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2251623

He took 2 years and $13.5M. He must have turned down quite a bit more than that from Cleveland. Geez, give the Padres credit, they had him read like a book. Didn't cave in after he stormed out of that meeting, didn't panic when EVERYONE said Hoffman was out of SD, they just added a little more to their offer, but no more years, and it was done. Impressive work.

Geez both Giles and Hoffman turned more money down to stay with the Padres.

They must be really comfortable, or they realize that the West sucks and they could easily make a post season run. (To give Hoffman credit, he's the face of the Padres and should finish up his career there. Outside of his rookie year, that's where he's pitched)

Looks like Boston and Altanta are still talking about a Renteria for Marte deal now that Tampa Bay dropped out of it because they wanted more prospects for Lugo.

I've been doing some research on Andy Marte. He was a top 10 prospect in all of baseball last year. He has also been compared to Mike Schmidt, Eddie Matthews, Scott Rolen, David Wright and (faninpatsyland you'll love this) Miguel Cabrerra.

He has raw power and has a very strong arm (scouts said he had the strongest arm in all of the minors). He struggled when the Braves called him up this year so maybe that's why the Braves are looking to dump him for Edgar or the Braves could be panicking for losing Furcal.

Either way it just goes to show you that the Tampa Bay front office is too busy smoking grass or watching day time soaps to not give the Red Sox Lugo for Marte. But hey I'm glad Tampa is demanding more. ;)

Make the trade now and hold on to this kid!

Toronto is looking better and better with those signings. Burnet and Ryan I think we have a pitching staff now.

Ray Finkle said:
Looks like Boston and Altanta are still talking about a Renteria for Marte deal now that Tampa Bay dropped out of it because they wanted more prospects for Lugo.

I've been doing some research on Andy Marte. He was a top 10 prospect in all of baseball last year. He has also been compared to Mike Schmidt, Eddie Matthews, Scott Rolen, David Wright and (faninpatsyland you'll love this) Miguel Cabrerra.

For Renteria? Where do I sign? :lol:

wazzy said:
Toronto is looking better and better with those signings. Burnet and Ryan I think we have a pitching staff now.

Toronto scares me. I think they're going to be good. If they get a big bat or two the East is going to be very tough between the Sox, Yankees and Jays.

FaninPatsyLand said:
For Renteria? Where do I sign? :lol:

I think those are lofty comparisons. He's supposed to be good, but he performed horribly when called up to the majors. Horribly overmatched. Cabrera hit a walk-off homer in his first game. He'll be good. Then again, someone killed the deal, so it doesn't matter. It might still happen but just be between TB and ATL, Lugo for Marte. Which is a dumb deal for Atlanta. With Chipper at third, they don't need Marte, but they could do better than Lugo.

RWhitney014 said:
I think those are lofty comparisons. He's supposed to be good, but he performed horribly when called up to the majors. Horribly overmatched. Cabrera hit a walk-off homer in his first game. He'll be good. Then again, someone killed the deal, so it doesn't matter. It might still happen but just be between TB and ATL, Lugo for Marte. Which is a dumb deal for Atlanta. With Chipper at third, they don't need Marte, but they could do better than Lugo.

I agree about the comparisons and that he was over matched. Of course if he's on the Red Sox he'll have a lot of protection. He'll see better pitches and more fast balls for sure.

per rotoworld.com:

Braves sources told MLB.com that money is the only thing standing between Edgar Renteria and Andy Marte changing teams.
The deal remains close. According to MLB.com, the Braves could include another prospect to get the Red Sox to kick in more money.

I like the idea of another Brave prospect in the deal if money has to be exchanged. Hopefully it's only a million or 2 per year. Anyway there's talk now that either Lowell, Youkilis or Marte could be swapped to Minnesota for bullpen help.

Also Wells is almost guranteed to go to SD for either Scott Linebrink or Ostunka. According to Gammons if the Sox want Linebrink they might have to take Woody Williams. Linebrink is a better bet but I'm not sure I'd want Woody or his contract. I like how the Sox have some trading chips to make the pen stronger. Something that was very very weak last year.

The Yankees offered Bernie arbitration. Very nice move and one obviously made by the Boss. Love the Boss or hate him, he's loyal to his boys, just ask Lou Pinella. Lou Pinella went to the Boss at the end of his career looking for another contract and told the Boss he thought he had 2 good years left in him so what did the Boss do....Gave Lou a 3 year contract. As I said he may not be loyal to a lot of the Yankees young prospects and to people who don't get the job done here but the one's who come here and make a difference always get loyalty from George. I would love to have Bernie as DH/ 4th outfielder (for when Sheffield needs a rest)!

Blue Jays got Overbay for Bush, one of their OFs, and their 2nd best pitching prospect(Jackson).

Good trade both ways. Overbay gets on base, and will definatly help up North (Plus they got to keep Hillenbrand), and The Brewers get some more pitching and get to play Fielder.

Ray Finkle said:
per rotoworld.com:

Braves sources told MLB.com that money is the only thing standing between Edgar Renteria and Andy Marte changing teams.
The deal remains close. According to MLB.com, the Braves could include another prospect to get the Red Sox to kick in more money.

If the Sox get Marte for Renteria, without eating Edgar's entire contract, they're on their way to a heck of a good offseason. Theo Who? ;)

mjwenz said:
Can somebody explain arbitration?

The player and the team both submit a number to the arbitrator that they believe the player is worth, then argue back and forth for awhile, and the arbitrator picks one of the two.

So for example, if the Mets go to arbitration with David Wright in three years (let's assume that's when he's eligible), and the Mets say that Wright is worth $8 million, and Wright says he's worth $12 million. The two sides would argue back and forth, with the Mets trying to show that Wright isn't as good as he thinks (this has often led to some very bad blood between teams and players, since players seldom like being told how much they suck), and Wright trying to show that he's the next Mike Schmidt. The arbitrator listens to the arguments and decides which figure more closely represents the player's market value.

Does that help?

Back
Top Bottom