Hot Stove news | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hot Stove news

Brief predictions:

Wagner will be a Met, and Ramirez an Angel.

The Mets will simply blow everyone out of the water with an offer for Wagner. Hell, I'd bet they even go to a 4th year on the contract, which I think is stupid (I think 3 years is pushing it with Wagner, personally, but sometimes you've got to overpay to get what you want).

As for Ramirez, I agree with the scuttlebutt about Manny wanting to stay in the AL, and could care less whether he's a "clubhouse cancer". The guy drives in a $#!tpile of runs. Runs create wins, and wins create chemistry, not the other way around. Moreover, the Angels could offer an interesting package for Ramirez. Maybe Casey Kotchman and a couple good pitchers (a starter and a reliever, say, Jarrod Washburn and Brendan Donnelly).

And this is a pipe dream, but a follow up trade that would make sense is Kotchman for Mike Cameron. The Sox would get Cameron to play CF, making Johnny Damon expendable, and the Mets would get their first baseman for the next 10 years, and free up more money to fix the crappy bullpen.

phunwin said:
Brief predictions:

Wagner will be a Met, and Ramirez an Angel.

The Mets will simply blow everyone out of the water with an offer for Wagner. Hell, I'd bet they even go to a 4th year on the contract, which I think is stupid (I think 3 years is pushing it with Wagner, personally, but sometimes you've got to overpay to get what you want).

As for Ramirez, I agree with the scuttlebutt about Manny wanting to stay in the AL, and could care less whether he's a "clubhouse cancer". The guy drives in a $#!tpile of runs. Runs create wins, and wins create chemistry, not the other way around. Moreover, the Angels could offer an interesting package for Ramirez. Maybe Casey Kotchman and a couple good pitchers (a starter and a reliever, say, Jarrod Washburn and Brendan Donnelly).

And this is a pipe dream, but a follow up trade that would make sense is Kotchman for Mike Cameron. The Sox would get Cameron to play CF, making Johnny Damon expendable, and the Mets would get their first baseman for the next 10 years, and free up more money to fix the crappy bullpen.

Casey Kotchman would be interesting! Dotel will also be a Met!

If they actually go ahead and trade Manny, it's going to piss off the entire region of New England. If it happens, we're losing our two best hitters and any shot of winning something meaningful next season

They won't be competitive at all, mind as well call up the kids like Ramirez, Lester, Pedroia ect. I can't believe the Red Sox organization is that stupid, but I guess we'll all find out soon enough.

FaninPatsyLand said:
If they actually go ahead and trade Manny, it's going to piss off the entire region of New England. If it happens, we're losing our two best hitters and any shot of winning something meaningful next season

Is David Ortiz on the move?

And I don't think for a minute that trading Manny would spark mass rioting in New England. They've talked about it so much that Sox fans couldn't possibly be shocked if/when it happens. Hell, they put the guy on irrevocable waivers two years ago.

Without Manny in the lineup, Ortiz would get the Bonds treatment, Phil. No reason to pitch to him.

phunwin said:
Is David Ortiz on the move?

And I don't think for a minute that trading Manny would spark mass rioting in New England. They've talked about it so much that Sox fans couldn't possibly be shocked if/when it happens. Hell, they put the guy on irrevocable waivers two years ago.

If Ramirez is gone, who's going to protect Big Papi? Trot Nixon? Jason Varitek? Please...

No one in their right mind would pitch to Big Papi, they'd need their head examined. He'll no doubt get the Bonds treatment, hell there were times this season when people pitched around Ortiz to get to Ramirez. That about says it all right there.

I don't think Red Sox fans are shocked about the rumors, I think a majority of Red Sox fans would be shocked if the Front Office actually pulled off a deal. I think then with his absence would reality really hit home. I think most Sox fans don't want to imagine life without Ramirez. It will be ugly..

FaninPatsyLand said:
If Ramirez is gone, who's going to protect Big Papi? Trot Nixon? Jason Varitek? Please...

No one in their right mind would pitch to Big Papi, they'd need their head examined. He'll no doubt get the Bonds treatment, hell there were times this season when people pitched around Ortiz to get to Ramirez. That about says it all right there.

I don't think Red Sox fans are shocked about the rumors, I think a majority of Red Sox fans would be shocked if the Front Office actually pulled off a deal. I think then with his absence would reality really hit home. I think most Sox fans don't want to imagine life without Ramirez. It will be ugly..

Mike Cameron!:foundout:

Ray Finkle said:
Rumor floating around is David Wells to San Diego for a pitcher and Dave Roberts.

That would be the weirdest trade of the offseason, bar none. Why wouldn't both teams have just hung onto those guys last year instead of letting them walk?

FaninPatsyLand said:

The "protection" thing is horribly overrated. If Ortiz is on base 45% or 50% of the time, the Red Sox will score plenty of runs. Believe me, the Sox could do much worse than for Ortiz to get the "Bonds treatment". Except for this year, when Bonds was out pretty much all year, since 1997 (about when the "walk Bonds" thing started in earnest) the Giants have never finished lower than 6th in the NL in runs scored, and save for that one season (2003), they've finished 2nd or 3rd nearly every year. In 2004, Bonds was walked 232 times and the Giants finished SECOND in the NL in runs, despite having just two other 20 home run hitters on the team and a cast of stiffs in many spots in the lineup. But their numbers all ended up being better because Bonds was on base so often. And I'll note that, with or without Ramirez, the other batters in Boston's lineup are a lot better than those around Bonds.

i wonder if the Phillies should take a look at Posada. While Jorge had a sub-parr year last year, he was light years better than Mike Lieberthal. Pat Gillick the new GM said the Phils would be interested in looking for a new catcher but dont see anyone out there other than Molina who they dont really want. Bobby Abreu and Pat Burrell could be traded, and Jim Thome is almost certain to be gone. I wouldn't mind making a push for Posada because Lieberthal right now is just pathetic....

phunwin said:
The "protection" thing is horribly overrated. If Ortiz is on base 45% or 50% of the time, the Red Sox will score plenty of runs. Believe me, the Sox could do much worse than for Ortiz to get the "Bonds treatment". Except for this year, when Bonds was out pretty much all year, since 1997 (about when the "walk Bonds" thing started in earnest) the Giants have never finished lower than 6th in the NL in runs scored, and save for that one season (2003), they've finished 2nd or 3rd nearly every year. In 2004, Bonds was walked 232 times and the Giants finished SECOND in the NL in runs, despite having just two other 20 home run hitters on the team and a cast of stiffs in many spots in the lineup. But their numbers all ended up being better because Bonds was on base so often. And I'll note that, with or without Ramirez, the other batters in Boston's lineup are a lot better than those around Bonds.

Bonds hasn't had protection in years (since Kent left) and it hasn't hurt him any.

ANOTHER RUMOR (let me stress rumor) is Irchiro to the Yanks to play CF in a trade.

MikeO said:
ANOTHER RUMOR (let me stress rumor) is Irchiro to the Yanks to play CF in a trade.

Now that would suck. I know alot of people don't think too highly of Ichiro, but I like him alot as a leadoff hitter. He's a major pain in the *** if he gets on base (ala Podsednik). And with Jeter and Sheffield batting behind him, it would be disaster for opposing teams.

And lets not forget that cannon in Centerfield that we haven't seen since the years before Bernie's been patrolling out there. :lol:

phunwin said:

I hope you are right about that. But I just wouldn't feel confident with Jason Varitek up in a big spot, when Ortiz is standing on first base. I hope we Red Sox fans don't have to experience it.

Back
Top Bottom