Houck on McKinney | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Houck on McKinney

dolfanmark said:
McIntosh started at LT for 3 years under Houck in San Diego.

Yeah this is how stuff gets spread around as truth only to get shot down much later. I think Mcintosh will be fine but if the kid starts to play well, they will play him because he is the future.

ricky williams said:
i'm a celtics fan and the celtics drafted chauncey billups. he sucked for them, and they traded him. he sucked for the team the traded him to. then he got to detroit and he look really good. sometimes it just takes the right system for the right player. hopefully that is the case for mckinney

This is a great point. Too many fans react to a player one or two years and trash the guy. I've seen guys play like crap for us, fail to make the team at a weak position, move elsewhere, and excell. Happens all the time.

What this team has needed is some good coaching over the course of 3-4 years. I don't think they got that fundamental coaching from Wannstedt and Wise.

McKinney has always been pretty tough - at A&M and his rookie season he did well at OG when he subbed a couple of times. But, he seemed to struggle with the Center position from the mental side - which simultaneously hindered his physical play.

Even if he becomes an average center, it will improve the position signifcantly from the past 5-6 years.

Da 'Fins said:
This is a great point. Too many fans react to a player one or two years and trash the guy. I've seen guys play like crap for us, fail to make the team at a weak position, move elsewhere, and excell. Happens all the time.

What this team has needed is some good coaching over the course of 3-4 years. I don't think they got that fundamental coaching from Wannstedt and Wise.

McKinney has always been pretty tough - at A&M and his rookie season he did well at OG when he subbed a couple of times. But, he seemed to struggle with the Center position from the mental side - which simultaneously hindered his physical play.

Even if he becomes an average center, it will improve the position signifcantly from the past 5-6 years.

Good point. An excellent example of this is Reuben Droughns. The guy couldn't keep his practice roster spot and is now rushing for 1000 yrds + with Denver. Sure, Denver pumps out 1000 yd. rushers more than anyone else, and it was Wanny who made that bone headed decision (poor evaluator) but his story nevertheless is inspiring.

Seth McKinney never played ONE down at guard for A&M. He started at center his redshirt freshman year and stayed there for four years. He never missed a game and I can't remember him missing but one practice in five years. His o-line coach remained the same but the offense changed four times in his four years. There were some challenges for some to make changes but not Seth. The very least of his problems are mental mistakes. I have asked this before with no reply but can anyone reading this board tell me (specifically) a bad call or a mental mistake he made last year?

In my humble opinion, McKinney has all of the physical tools to be a solid pivot. When he played Guard for the last 2 games of 2003, he displayed incredible footwork, quickness, speed & tenacity. He looked like a dancing bear in the last game against NE. And coming out of college, all I read was how tough & smart he is.

But after watching him last year, I don't think he was playing to his full capabilities because he was confused. Why was he confused? I have no idea. But when a football player is confused it creates slight hesitation and he doesn't play to his full speed & capabilities - and I really think that's what happened to Seth here. The guy has the physical tools - no doubt about it.

uncle don said:
Seth McKinney never played ONE down at guard for A&M. He started at center his redshirt freshman year and stayed there for four years. He never missed a game and I can't remember him missing but one practice in five years. His o-line coach remained the same but the offense changed four times in his four years. There were some challenges for some to make changes but not Seth. The very least of his problems are mental mistakes. I have asked this before with no reply but can anyone reading this board tell me (specifically) a bad call or a mental mistake he made last year?
Nobody can do that, nobody knows what the calls were. How are they going to know where the mistakes were made? I know your point, and yes, people on here just repeat what they heard somebody else say, they really have no clue.
How do you feel about Houck as opposed to Wise? Do you think that last years' problems can be solved through this coaching change??

uncle don said:

Without knowing the calls nobody can cite a specific play. There were, however, a few reports that talked about his struggles and I believe it was Wanny (or maybe Wise) who said that Seth was having trouble with the calls.

I don't buy this compliment Houck is giving McKinney.....

McKinney was one of the weakest links on our OL in 2004. He should have never been starting either. He's a rag doll out there, and his transition to starting NFL Center was a complete failure....

He's not cut out to play C. Honestly, he just looks to small, and too weak to hold down the middle. Ruddy, even though a dinosaur, could have done a much better job last year if we would have kept him....

I don't like this at all. Houck may be a magic man when it comes to teaching, but on the field is where it all counts. McKinney sucks at C, and it's as simple a that. Put him at OG where he belongs. I'm not even sure if he could handle that...

We'll see how this all unfolds, but if go into the season with McKinney still starting at C, Frerotte better be prepared for IR....

PHINZ RULE!!!

Even if he can block, what are they gonna do about his fumble inducing sweaty crotch? Move him to guard.

uncle don said:

His bro is a pretty good C too for the Texans. So I'm sure Houck can help this McKinney reach his potential.

PhinsOwnU said:
I'm surprised:goof:

Maybe Houck can work magic.:lol:
If he starts, "magic" is the perfect word. Hearing that the scheme and coaching was so bad, it is possible. I think he has talent, just wasn't coached well at all in making calls on the line.

Lando's Folly said:
Even if he can block, what are they gonna do about his fumble inducing sweaty crotch? Move him to guard.
Did you ever see those things for your underarms and feet that supposedly stop sweating for weeks? Just get one for his balls!:lol:

I think when an offensive is in disarray such as Miami's was last year the quarterback and the center are under the most pressure. They are the guys making line calls, reading the defense etc. and if the coaching staff is lost those two positions will pay the price. Not saying Feeley and McKinney are off the hook for poor games last year, but I think you have to factor in everything and give them another shot.

Back
Top Bottom