How brutal is this...

MarinoEqualsGod

The man, the myth, the legend
Joined
Aug 19, 2004
Messages
3,456
Reaction score
30
Age
38
Location
Illinois
We have not picked an impact player in the first round in 10 years, when we picked Daryl Gardner in '96. If you don't count him, the last time we picked a good player in the first was Bowens in '94. Jesus, I knew our drafts were bad, but you almost have to try to not pick at least a decent player for one whole decade. All of our star players were all picked in the later rounds. Here's to a new regime and a new attitude to Dolphin football. :rawk: :drinkers:
 

Jimmy James

You sit on a throne of lies!
Joined
Oct 25, 2003
Messages
21,735
Reaction score
3
Age
44
Location
Southside Virginia
Remember, we have only had 4 1st round picks in that time. Green, Avery, Fletcher, and Carey are the only guys we have selected in the 1st since Gardner.
 

FIN-IN-RI

Hammered
Joined
Feb 11, 2004
Messages
13,052
Reaction score
0
Age
38
Location
192.168.1.3/255.255.255.0
That is piss poor.

On another note:

When I read the topic, I thought this was another thread on yesterdays Jet plane trade. :lol: I was ready to say merge!
 

FIN-IN-RI

Hammered
Joined
Feb 11, 2004
Messages
13,052
Reaction score
0
Age
38
Location
192.168.1.3/255.255.255.0
Jimmy James said:
Remember, we have only had 4 1st round picks in that time. Green, Avery, Fletcher, and Carey are the only guys we have selected in the 1st since Gardner.

JJ commin through with the clutch facts. Good info. I'd venture to say that none of those 4 picks were even in the top 15?
 

cowtowndick

Seasoned Veteran
Joined
Feb 2, 2005
Messages
674
Reaction score
0
MarinoEqualsGod said:
We have not picked an impact player in the first round in 10 years, when we picked Daryl Gardner in '96. If you don't count him, the last time we picked a good player in the first was Bowens in '94. Jesus, I knew our drafts were bad, but you almost have to try to not pick at least a decent player for one whole decade. All of our star players were all picked in the later rounds. Here's to a new regime and a new attitude to Dolphin football. :rawk: :drinkers:
It's a testimony to how much of a crapshoot the draft is, in general. Our first round has sucked, but wouldn't you say that Taylor, Madison, Thomas, Surtain, McMichael, even Chambers have all turned out to have been great choices at their draft position? All have played like first round picks. Thank God.
 

Oraclepz

Seasoned Veteran
Joined
Apr 15, 2005
Messages
2,012
Reaction score
23
Age
36
Location
Tampa
which is why trading down seems like a very good idea since we usually pick our stars in the later rounds... but then again weve never had a draft pick this high
 

Jimmy James

You sit on a throne of lies!
Joined
Oct 25, 2003
Messages
21,735
Reaction score
3
Age
44
Location
Southside Virginia
FiN.in.RI said:
JJ commin through with the clutch facts. Good info. I'd venture to say that none of those 4 picks were even in the top 15?
You'd be (barely) wrong.

Per http://www.drafthistory.com

2004 19 19 Vernon Carey G Miami (FL)
2001 26 26 Jamar Fletcher DB Wisconsin
1998 29 29 John Avery RB Mississippi
1997 15 15 Yatil Green WR Miami (FL)
 

MarinoEqualsGod

The man, the myth, the legend
Joined
Aug 19, 2004
Messages
3,456
Reaction score
30
Age
38
Location
Illinois
FiN.in.RI said:
JJ commin through with the clutch facts. Good info. I'd venture to say that none of those 4 picks were even in the top 15?
I believe Yatil Green was picked with the 15th pick that year.
 

feelthepain

Hammered
Joined
Mar 10, 2004
Messages
9,049
Reaction score
6
Location
S.Jersey
phinswin said:
which is why trading down seems like a very good idea since we usually pick our stars in the later rounds... but then again weve never had a draft pick this high
Well actually, we have a had one pick higher then #2 and that was 1966 with the #1 overall. But thats it, and we have not drafted so high since. A pretty remarkable record if you ask me.
 
Top Bottom