How brutal is this... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How brutal is this...

MarinoEqualsGod

The man, the myth, the legend
Reaction score
We have not picked an impact player in the first round in 10 years, when we picked Daryl Gardner in '96. If you don't count him, the last time we picked a good player in the first was Bowens in '94. Jesus, I knew our drafts were bad, but you almost have to try to not pick at least a decent player for one whole decade. All of our star players were all picked in the later rounds. Here's to a new regime and a new attitude to Dolphin football. :rawk: :drinkers:

Remember, we have only had 4 1st round picks in that time. Green, Avery, Fletcher, and Carey are the only guys we have selected in the 1st since Gardner.

That is piss poor.

On another note:

When I read the topic, I thought this was another thread on yesterdays Jet plane trade. :lol: I was ready to say merge!

Jimmy James said:
Remember, we have only had 4 1st round picks in that time. Green, Avery, Fletcher, and Carey are the only guys we have selected in the 1st since Gardner.

JJ commin through with the clutch facts. Good info. I'd venture to say that none of those 4 picks were even in the top 15?

MarinoEqualsGod said:
We have not picked an impact player in the first round in 10 years, when we picked Daryl Gardner in '96. If you don't count him, the last time we picked a good player in the first was Bowens in '94. Jesus, I knew our drafts were bad, but you almost have to try to not pick at least a decent player for one whole decade. All of our star players were all picked in the later rounds. Here's to a new regime and a new attitude to Dolphin football. :rawk: :drinkers:
It's a testimony to how much of a crapshoot the draft is, in general. Our first round has sucked, but wouldn't you say that Taylor, Madison, Thomas, Surtain, McMichael, even Chambers have all turned out to have been great choices at their draft position? All have played like first round picks. Thank God.

which is why trading down seems like a very good idea since we usually pick our stars in the later rounds... but then again weve never had a draft pick this high

FiN.in.RI said:
JJ commin through with the clutch facts. Good info. I'd venture to say that none of those 4 picks were even in the top 15?

You'd be (barely) wrong.

Per http://www.drafthistory.com

2004 19 19 Vernon Carey G Miami (FL)
2001 26 26 Jamar Fletcher DB Wisconsin
1998 29 29 John Avery RB Mississippi
1997 15 15 Yatil Green WR Miami (FL)

FiN.in.RI said:

I believe Yatil Green was picked with the 15th pick that year.

phinswin said:
which is why trading down seems like a very good idea since we usually pick our stars in the later rounds... but then again weve never had a draft pick this high

Well actually, we have a had one pick higher then #2 and that was 1966 with the #1 overall. But thats it, and we have not drafted so high since. A pretty remarkable record if you ask me.

Back
Top Bottom