How Deep Will The "cuts" Go? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Deep Will The "cuts" Go?

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
I know the general idea is to rebuild, go with youth, and aim for one of the top picks in 2020. I'm not against that. It figures to be a painful season, but Miami fans know pain. We watched our divisional rival dominate the NFL for close to two decades.

But the question I have is how far will the cuts go? In particular, I wonder about Robert Quinn. I know he didn't have a real productive year, but I think he's a player who could really benefit from a new coach and a different scheme. Teams pretty much took away the Dolphins pass rush so it's a bit hard to evaluate the pass rushers on the team.

Easy to say cut Quinn, Alonson, Sitton and James. But that opens so many holes and could make life difficult for a new franchise quarterback coming.

I realize it's a bit of a balancing act. Also, things could change in a hurry if one of the top three qb's drops to #13 and if the team likes that player. Then, I'd guess the "tank" idea is out of the picture.

No one is gauranteed safe. But, if you want to look for criteria on who could survive...

1. Be drafted by Grier
2. Be an ex-Pat with a good relationship with Flores
3. Be elite or pro bowl caliber
4. Be willing to to take team friendly deals
5. Scheme fit or scheme flexible

X is an interesting issue. most of which will depend on his salary demands. If he's willing to take a little less than top dollar then he'll stick. Otherwise he's trade bait.

I'm hopeful Miami will be able to trade some of these players, like Alonzo, Parker, Stills and perhaps Jones? If not, I can easily see them being released. But I'm expecting anyone with a cap figure of $1M or more to be jettisoned over the next 2 seasons, contact parameters permitting. Sitton, Kilgore, Parker and Stills on offense should be concerned. On Defense it's the obvious in Branch and Quinn. With Alonzo and Jones potentially gone after next year, when their contracts are more favorable to cut. Tannehill and McDonald are the 2 question Mark's. Hopefully management will make the right decisions on them soon.

No one is gauranteed safe. But, if you want to look for criteria on who could survive...

1. Be drafted by Grier
2. Be an ex-Pat with a good relationship with Flores
3. Be elite or pro bowl caliber
4. Be willing to to take team friendly deals
5. Scheme fit or scheme flexible

X is an interesting issue. most of which will depend on his salary demands. If he's willing to take a little less than top dollar then he'll stick. Otherwise he's trade bait.

maybe, BB had a tendency to pay CB's more so than others. I think Glimore is paid handsomely.

I think they keep Amendola as a vet presence for the WRs, O’Shea used to be his WR coach as well. He’d probably play here for the vet minimum if he had a good relationship with O’Shea at NE.

I'm hopeful Miami will be able to trade some of these players, like Alonzo, Parker, Stills and perhaps Jones? If not, I can easily see them being released. But I'm expecting anyone with a cap figure of $1M or more to be jettisoned over the next 2 seasons, contact parameters permitting. Sitton, Kilgore, Parker and Stills on offense should be concerned. On Defense it's the obvious in Branch and Quinn. With Alonzo and Jones potentially gone after next year, when their contracts are more favorable to cut. Tannehill and McDonald are the 2 question Mark's. Hopefully management will make the right decisions on them soon.

If Flores got a 5 year guaranteed deal like is being reported, he would be stupid to keep anyone from the previous regime except Tunsil, Minkah, X and 1 or 2 others.

The whole world saw what continuing to massage the existing roster did with Gase. If Flores is being given full anonymity to blow it up and build through the draft, he would be stupid to not take full advantage to build a team in his own image.

Parker being on that list is kinda funny to me. That dude is gone.

I feel like X will be staying. If the team is spending any money, it is going to sign its cornerstone players, he's one of them. Tunsil is another.

I'm not sure how much of a rush they will be in to lower that cap number though.

I can see them keeping what they have, just not signing new free agents.

The more I think about it, the more confused I get, lmfao. I guess we will have to wait and see.

New England runs 6 and 7 DB's on defense, so Miami keeping as many of the DB's as possible is very realistic. I think it would include Howard. To me he's Miami's version of Gilmore. Let's not forget, Grier was the one who supposedly pounded his fist on the table for Howard. I think it quite possible Howard is a safe bet, getting a contract extension with Miami.

Last edited:

X may be more willing to take less THIS year as opposed to next year. We have leverage this year and less next year even with the tag because he can turn down a deal and still get top 5 money. 2020 off-season with inflation as well. He turns a deal down this year and he knows he still may be two years removed from getting his first non-rookie deal. I don't worry much about 2nd year franchise tags. They rarely happen and certainly didn't work out well for Pittsburgh.

X, Minkah and Tunsil are those cornerstone pieces that are pretty hard to replace. Their saving grace is being drafted by Grier.

I know we want to clean house, but this Grier connection almost exempts them.

Factor in how hard it is to draft a LT, franchise CB and elite S..... I'm thinking those three are safe.

Some pieces you do not benefit from trading.

So, you trade X and get a 1st back. You still need a top flight CB. And how do you think you are going to get one? (using another draft pick)

These 3 players are pretty much a zero sum trading scenario. Keep them.

One thing Flores said was that "he'd rather have 3 good players than a great one". I'm pretty sure that means he doesn't want to break the bank for one player like we did for Suh, a move that got us nowhere. Everyone player can be moved for the right price. I expect to see about 20 new players this coming season and then 10 to 12 new ones in 2020.

If you mean "the right decision" by getting rid of them, I am with you on that.

I'd honestly get rid of the majority of vets over 27-28 years old. That includes Wake, Jones, Quinn, Danny, Kiko, etc. This needs to be a total clean slate rebuild. Only keep low cost vets, and the very few that are worth the cost like Sitton.

Wouldn't sign anyone significant. I'd re-sign James as long as it's reasonable, and I'd extend Tunsil and Howard regardless of the cost. Those two guys are building blocks. We have less than a handful of those types of guys on the team.

Build. The. Trenches.

One thing Flores said was that "he'd rather have 3 good players than a great one". I'm pretty sure that means he doesn't want to break the bank for one player like we did for Suh, a move that got us nowhere. Everyone player can be moved for the right price. I expect to see about 20 new players this coming season and then 10 to 12 new ones in 2020.

That's a quote I love and one BB has shown works. I think you're right . . . this tank will see ~20-25 new faces.

That was Grier. I'm sure Flores has the same outlook, though.

Back
Top Bottom