How Does A Planned Tank Job Work? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Does A Planned Tank Job Work?

opticblazed

Basement Dweller
Reaction score
Any insight on how we plan to tank in 2019? I understand the basics such as playing younger guys, but if you are an athlete or coach you play to win. How can you account for luck, catching teams at the right time..etc? If we are winning in the 4th by 2 scores do we fumble intentionally? How about the paying fans? Do you want your team to loose ?..tickets arent cheap. Do we want the jests, buffalo and the cheatriots to sweep us Or are we going to be so bad that it wont matter? Every year a team comes from no where and wins. What if we get out the gates 4-0? Do we know for sure that qb,s in 2020 going to be franchise changers ? I mean t tua and who ever else can have a career ending injury during their season then what? Thoughts?

Any insight on how we plan to tank in 2019? I understand the basics such as playing younger guys, but if you are an athlete or coach you play to win. How can you account for luck, catching teams at the right time..etc? If we are winning in the 4th by 2 scores do we fumble intentionally? How about the paying fans? Do you want your team to loose ?..tickets arent cheap. Do we wants the jets, buffalo and the cheatriots to sweep us Or are we going to be so bad that it wont matter? Every year a team comes from no where and wins. What if we get out the gates 4-0? Do we know for sure that qb,s in 2020 going to be franchise changers ? I mean t tua and who ever else can have a career ending injury during their season then what? Thoughts?

You never tank.

You play young players that you think have a future on your team to get them experience.

That's it.

Nobody is losing games on purpose.

You never tank.

You play young players that you think have a future on your team to get them experience.

That's it.

Nobody is losing games on purpose.
The narrative seems to be that 2019 is a tank year. Was wondering how do you go about planning to tank. It's one thing to be a bad football team, it's another planning to loose

Any insight on how we plan to tank in 2019? I understand the basics such as playing younger guys, but if you are an athlete or coach you play to win. How can you account for luck, catching teams at the right time..etc? If we are winning in the 4th by 2 scores do we fumble intentionally? How about the paying fans? Do you want your team to loose ?..tickets arent cheap. Do we want the jests, buffalo and the cheatriots to sweep us Or are we going to be so bad that it wont matter? Every year a team comes from no where and wins. What if we get out the gates 4-0? Do we know for sure that qb,s in 2020 going to be franchise changers ? I mean t tua and who ever else can have a career ending injury during their season then what? Thoughts?
Rebuild not tank.

Pretty easy. You start a Fales or Faulk, you cut all of the high paid players over 30, no splashy signings in FA. Even with a good draft that should do it. Every team in our division has a young up and coming QB or a franchise QB and are looking to improve. Going 0-6 should not be too hard. Throw in the fact that even when mediocre we suck on the road. Last yr we were a miracle play, a dropped TD catch from Charles Clay and lucky against Chicago from being 4-12. That’s when we were trying. Pretty scary

I don't know any athlete that would purposely tank. But for a team, if you play a lot of younger inexperienced players there will typically be a lot of mistakes during a game that lead to a loss while they gain experience for the following year.

Of course, even when we played our experienced players there were constant mistakes. If we hadn't gotten a bit lucky in some games, and played the Jets/Bills, our record would have been really ugly this year.

Never tank. Just let inexperienced younger men play football and learn.

It will boil down to the QB. What is most likely to happen is we aren't going to be bad enough and the site will implode. We'll probably be between 6-10 and 8-8. We have too many offensive guys who can score on any play (Wilson, Grant, Drake) and too many good players in the secondary (Howard, Minkah). Those rooting for 1-15 and 2-14 will be very, very disappointed. You'll all tell me I'm wrong now, I'll remind you when I'M RIGHT. As we've learned nothing is better than being RIGHT about what we post on here.

You simply make [personnel] decisions that are likely not to lead to a lot of wins.

Can you win any individual game? Sure. The coaches and players aren’t trying to lose. But the inexperience of younger players, lack of talent, and the lack of extra motivation from knowing the team isn’t really competing seriously for a championship make it unlikely you’ll win a lot of games.

There’s no sure way to get the first pick, but with the rebuild approach you’re fairly certain to land in the top 5.

Great answers, but are you willing to pay to go to the games knowing we would rather go 2-14? Tickets and beer arent cheap. Do you trust us to tank the right way? Following dolphins football for a long time, we are usually 6-10, maybe 7-9. It would suck to intentionally try to have a bad year and end up picking in th 11-15 range.

Back
Top Bottom