How Does A Planned Tank Job Work? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Does A Planned Tank Job Work?

They started Curtis Painter (and who knows who else, lol).

Nobody was throwing picks, fumbling the ball, missing field goals on purpose.

That Colts team was about as close to a "tank" as you're likely to find.

yup, sign Brock Osweiller and start him

then go back to being a drunk while your team shits its pants

Yeah.

The Colts never tanked for Luck.
Didn’t happen
They didn’t need to tank, it was a sh_tty team just like the 1980 NO, 1989 DC, 1990 NE, 1991 IC.
1996 NYJ, 2000 SDC, 2001 CP, 2007 MD,
2009 SLR, 2016 CB.

Rebuild not tank.

I loathe every time I read the word tank on here. It's so infuriating.

I know nothing about these things but off the top of my head:

Trade every player you can even if its for late day 2 picks. Obviously this doesn't include our young talent.

Get rid of/cut every significant contract on the books.

Acquire the cheapest players in FA to fill holes.

Play every young guy you have including promoting your entire practice squad. I assume all practice squad guys are relatively young and were given the spot because they showed an iota of talent.

That's all my small front office brain can think of.

I missed listing trade as many 2019 picks to any takers for 2020 picks.

yup, sign Brock Osweiller and start him

then go back to being a drunk while your team ****s its pants

Brock is the ticket to 6-10. He's not good but not Painter/Kizer/Lemon bad. People don't realize how bad your QB play needs to be to win 1 or 2 games. If Brock goes into play it safe mode it will be just good enough to avoid a top 5 pick.

Everybody is forgetting we have 3 guys who will take short passes to the house. The QB play will need to be at a Kizer/Painter level bad and then some.

Can we restructure Jones' contract to minimize dead cap after this year in case we decide to cut him? I don't know how that works, but eat as much of that contract this year.

You start Curtis Painter at QB like the Colts did in 2011 to assure yourself the #1 pick. They instantly went from a playoff team, to the worst team in the league, then back to a playoff team the following season. The dolphins have some Painter equivalents on their roster

Yep. I watched some of those colt games and I am sure all the players were in on it. dallas Clarke who never fumbled, barely got hit and threw the ball in the air. it was so obvious the NFL should have taken away their 1st round pick that year.

Can we restructure Jones' contract to minimize dead cap after this year in case we decide to cut him? I don't know how that works, but eat as much of that contract this year.

He restructered last year.

If we are rebuilding, I'd trade him for the best we can get.

"Tanking", in and of itself, is a terrible description that keeps getting thrown around on this board. Do you think that the players (either in Miami or anywhere else in the league) that will be entering their contract year will want to be associated with a team that has the perception of purposely tanking? Do you think that the players currently on the roster will want to stick around beyond their rookie contracts after being a part of the laughingstock of the league for a season and watching their earning potential go down the toilet? Do you really think that some mythical first round pick in 2020 or 2021 is really all this team needs to be competitive?

Do you guys really think that trading away everyone/anyone with any value is really the way to go? How do you fill a competent 53 man roster in a two-three years if you are replacing every single player on the cheap and replacing experience with draft choices?

Instead, a rebuild, be definition, is what the team is entering. They need to build from the ground up with young players while also having the steady veteran presence to guide the players and show them how to be professionals. Sure the "tanking" worked (in the opinion of many here) with the Suck for Luck but how successful has that team been in his six seasons? He is entering his age 30 season, has had a pretty serious injury history and the best they have done is 11-5 and gotten bounced from the playoffs in every appearance they have made. And he has thrown more INT than TD in the playoffs.

This team needs to keep the core of players that they have and build around that. Players like Fitzgerald, Howard, Ballage, Drake, Tunsil, Grant, Wilson, Stills and probably a couple others are the core of what can be a good team with the right coaching, drafts, free agents and a good dose of good luck on the injury front.

He restructered last year.

If we are rebuilding, I'd trade him for the best we can get.
Yeah, but that was to buy us cap space. I want to do the opposite. If we can trade him great, but I'm not getting my hopes up with that contract.

the 3 best active QB’s in the league were acquired via a 6th, the 25th overall and free agency.
Since you seem to have such great insight,

please enlighten us as to what Franchise QB you would have us obtain..... via a “6th, the 25th overall, or free agency”.

And this goes for all you posters so dead set against striving for a high pick in 2020

They didn’t need to tank, it was a sh_tty team just like the 1980 NO, 1989 DC, 1990 NE, 1991 IC.
1996 NYJ, 2000 SDC, 2001 CP, 2007 MD,
2009 SLR, 2016 CB.
The whole league knew they tanked.

If you don’t know this you either don’t know football or didn’t watch the games. I did

Back
Top Bottom