How Does A Planned Tank Job Work? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Does A Planned Tank Job Work?

The whole league knew they tanked.

If you don’t know this you either don’t know football or didn’t watch the games. I did
I bet if you ask any of those Colt players if they tanked for Luck you probably wouldn’t be conscious enough to remember the answer. Myself I were an owner I wouldn’t want to pay
180 million or whatever in salary to tank.
tanking, quitting or giving up is a loser mentality.

you draft kyler murray, win 8-9 games in 2019, keep building your team thru the draft and get to the playoffs in 2020... wait...****

I bet if you ask any of those Colt players if they tanked for Luck you probably wouldn’t be conscious enough to remember the answer. Myself I were an owner I wouldn’t want to pay
180 million or whatever in salary to tank.
tanking, quitting or giving up is a loser mentality.
Agreed. If a real tank was on from top to bottom why fire Caldwell at the end of the year? Wouldn't he have been HC of tank?

Here is how I'd do it because I did it in Madden and it worked like a charm ;P
Keep these players:
Tunsil, Wilson, Grant, Drake, Ballage, Fitz, Howard, Godchaux, Taylor, baker, McMillan. And whatever depth guys you like.

Trade or release EVERYONE else. Anyone with any kind of trade value is on the block for me. All your draft pick are MINE!

In the first round, if Murray is there at 13, go for it. If not trade that **** for a 1 this year and a 1 next year, that is your trade capital if you need to move up for Tua. Or if you want to wait for the kid the year after, trade back again and again. We just need to use the next 3 first round picks to land either Murray, Tua or Lawrence somehow.

And for the love of god do not start Tannehill, he is a 6 to 9 win QB. We want less than that! Its going to be an interesting season this year. I've never been one for "tanking" but I'm tired of this mediocre garbage. We deserve better, and if it means tanking a year, so be it.

It’s very funny when I hear “you can’t ask NFL coaches or NFL players to tank”. “These are pros. You can’t go into the lockerroom and ask them to not compete”.
2 WORDS: CURTIS PAINTER
3 MORE WORDS: DAVID FAILS FALES.

The players don't tank. The coaches don't tank. Its not purposefully losing games by either of those parties. The front office just makes moves to basically gut the team. You play young players, clean the cap up, ship off any aging vets, and most importantly you don't pay a Foles, Bridgewater, or Flacco to come in here to play QB. You play at a Falk type at QB. Its been done before. There are definitely ways a front office can tank a season without players mysteriously fumbling the ball through the back of end zones. The front office punts on the season. The players and coaches don't. They have careers. The front office knows this too.

It all depends on who the front office brings in or doesnt bring in at QB. If you see them cut THill and stand pat at QB, thats what they are doing. You can call it whatever you want, but the front office is looking for the top draft pick in 2020. I am for it but I hate to put a brand new coach through it. This is the reason why I wanted to keep Gase around. How are the players going to view a coach after a 2-3 win season?

This team with a rookie developmental QB or Backup QB is well on its way to a top pick. We don't have the defense to keep us in games. Hell I am not sure we have the offensive pieces to compete very well either with a less than average QB.

Only thing that I want to see brought in at QB is either Murray or Nathan Peterman. Get the elite talent or burn this thing down so we get it next year in Tua.

@phins_4_ever says there's no such thing as tanking. Nothing to see here, guys. ;)
Just be careful next time. Rule is not to call anybody out who is not already participating in a thread. I don't mind it but others may report you.
:cheers:

And if you refer to the Colts: no, there was no intentional tanking. Just mismanagement at the backup QB spot thus the firing spree at the end of the season.

Tanking is real...Tell me the last time the colts were as bad the suck for luck year? It was a obvious tank job...

People are being willfully obtuse here. The tank is simple. Release marginal vets, you don't go after big money free agents, you play young players. They will lose as they develop. It's too hard to win on Sundays doing it this way. It's extremely boring to sit here and have to explain this to people as if we are discussing nuclear physics.

As for getting a QB, your odds are a hell of a lot higher high in the first round. Your odds of landing a 15 time all pro in the sixth ground are essentially nil. Just because New England did it once doesn't mean that's a sound strategy. When you sit here and point out a few extreme outliers, maybe you ought to factor in the gazillion lower picked quarterbacks that are in the JP Losman, Chad Henne, John Beck mold. People apparently don't understand basic math when they throw out this laughably simplistic argument.

To simplify it, Miami hasn't "tanked" in the last twenty years or prioritized quarterback high. How is that working for one of the most irrelevant franchises in all of professional sports? Have you seen the list of inept quarterbacks brought in by this franchise doing it the non-tankers way?

Luckily, it does not matter what the willfully obtuse say or think. Ross has already spelled out what we are doing and Schefter repeated it from our new coach's understanding (via his agent).

A truly evil genius would mastermind getting Trevor Lawrence here in two years. He's as can't miss as they come. He's already operating at a high level as a teenager.

This thread is really complicating the tank. You can improve your team via draft and still tank. It’s a QB league. Crappy QB play = no points = no wins.

Pretty easy. You start a Fales or Faulk, you cut all of the high paid players over 30, no splashy signings in FA. Even with a good draft that should do it. Every team in our division has a young up and coming QB or a franchise QB and are looking to improve. Going 0-6 should not be too hard. Throw in the fact that even when mediocre we suck on the road. Last yr we were a miracle play, a dropped TD catch from Charles Clay and lucky against Chicago from being 4-12. That’s when we were trying. Pretty scary

You didn’t describe tanking.
The difference between rebuilding with a young, inexperienced team and tanking is huge.

Back
Top Bottom