How Does A Planned Tank Job Work? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Does A Planned Tank Job Work?

I loathe every time I read the word tank on here. It's so infuriating.

I know nothing about these things but off the top of my head:

Trade every player you can even if its for late day 2 picks. Obviously this doesn't include our young talent.

Get rid of/cut every significant contract on the books.

Acquire the cheapest players in FA to fill holes.

Play every young guy you have including promoting your entire practice squad. I assume all practice squad guys are relatively young and were given the spot because they showed an iota of talent.

That's all my small front office brain can think of.

Wouldn’t every other team in the league be aware of this rebuild and decide to not trade for any older players knowing Miami doesn’t want them to begin with?

B/t if they draft Murray or even Haskins or lock or Jones even tanking goes out the window if it’s in round 1.

They use a top 15 pick on a qb they aren’t in tank mode.

The clock starts as soon as they turn that card in.

Just be careful next time. Rule is not to call anybody out who is not already participating in a thread. I don't mind it but others may report you.
:cheers:

And if you refer to the Colts: no, there was no intentional tanking. Just mismanagement at the backup QB spot thus the firing spree at the end of the season.

Understood lol. Just messing with you.

B/t if they draft Murray or even Haskins or lock or Jones even tanking goes out the window if it’s in round 1.

They use a top 15 pick on a qb they aren’t in tank mode.

The clock starts as soon as they turn that card in.

Well...Maybe

If the top 15 pick plays like Peyton...then yea , tank job is on hold
But If top 15 QB is Curtis Painter then tank job is in full effect.

A top 15 pick does not guarantee great QB play just like a sixth round pick does no necessarily mean they stink.

I have a feeling lock may go too half of first round earlier than many of us suspect. Not saying I want in on him but I have a hunch about him. Denver is interesting to me I'm pretty sure it's consensus that keenum isn't long term there

Nah they will build around whoever that top 15 pick qb is.

And Grier’s head will be on the block if said qb doesn’t work out. That’s how it works.

He’s buying the groceries now.

Nah they will build around whoever that top 15 pick qb is.

And Grier’s head will be on the block if said qb doesn’t work out. That’s how it works.

He’s buying the groceries now.

Unfortunately that buys him another 2-3 years

You guys do realize what we will do is unload bad contracts and not spend big in FA. That’s it, the extent of tanking. The players and coaches will be trying to win and could have some limited success.

I do know this “Dolphins are tanking” talk is getting around. WEEI Boston was having a good laugh over us supposedly tanking for Tua. To quote them, “that will be a mess”. There point was why would Brady and Bill retire with the current state of the AFC east.

In general tank jobs is a upper management decision, u can't sell that to players and coaches.

As several have expressed on here, you shouldn't actually "tank". They couldn't even do that in Major League. You don't want coaches, front office personnel and most of all players, trying to lose. What you do have to do is accept that we want to build a dynasty and doing that takes several years. You jettison off players that are expensive or will be too old to be a part of that team. Firstly, you do that to acquire future stock-draft picks or young players. Secondly, you want to get your cap down really really low so that you can have it roll over to the year when you decide to "go for it" and can spend however you like or to extend players that you want as part of your long term plans. You also give opportunities to young players that you need to evaluate at game speed to see if they will be someone you want to offer and extension to. Now you have to decide about two players that will become very expensive soon, Tunsil and Howard. If you intend to keep them, then you pay them now. You also can front load their deals because your cap number is low in these first two years. Later, when you need the space they will be paid a lot less. If they are not in the teams future plans, then you trade them now while their value is at the highest. In this draft, you entertain every offer to move back or to acquire future picks. If you lose games now, then so be it, you are shooting for 2020/2021 to begin your real destiny. If you see a chance at a reclamation project you can buy low, then you take it. If it doesn't work out, then so be it. This is where ideas like Colin Kaepernick and Kareem Hunt come in. I'm not saying them particularly, but that type of scenario. Maybe you even sign a veteran with the intention of building him up and trading him to some injury riddled or sudden contender team for future picks.

Back
Top Bottom