How high would the Fins have to move up for Michael Mayer? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How high would the Fins have to move up for Michael Mayer?

jimthefin

Club Member
Reaction score
I have been thinking that with it being well known that the team is looking to Draft a TE and Mayer seeming to be the perfect candidate(he fits the big physical blocker they covet and would feast in the middle of the field while defenses try to cover Waddle and Hill) for Miami in this class.

He is being projected anywhere from late 1st to early to mid 2nd although it is very unlikely he could slide all the way to #51.

So what I am asking is, would you want to move up for Mayer, how high would you go and how much would you be willing to pay?

Looking at the trade value charts a move from #51 to the top of R2 would cost next years 2nd or this years 3rd, give or take.

A move into the back end of R1 is probably too expensive and giving up that much for a TE is a little too rich for me.

Would you pay the price?
Or would you sit tight and hope for one the the 2nd tier TE's to come to you?
Don't even like Mayer to begin with?

Thoughts?

I have been thinking that with it being well known that the team is looking to Draft a TE and Mayer seeming to be the perfect candidate(he fits the big physical blocker they covet and would feast in the middle of the field while defenses try to cover Waddle and Hill) for Miami in this class.

He is being projected anywhere from late 1st to early to mid 2nd although it is very unlikely he could slide all the way to #51.

So what I am asking is, would you want to move up for Mayer, how high would you go and how much would you be willing to pay?

Looking at the trade value charts a move from #51 to the top of R2 would cost next years 2nd or this years 3rd, give or take.

A move into the back end of R1 is probably too expensive and giving up that much for a TE is a little too rich for me.

Would you pay the price?

Thoughts?
Mayer could be a great add, but I think either Kraft or LaPorta, maybe both, will be available at 51.

I'd prefer to go that route.

I would not trade up for Mayer. I like his reliability as a receiver and blocker, but I think his average athleticism is apparent on the field, and he's not dynamic after the catch.

I think Kraft is the best Y option for Miami, and LaPorta is the best move option. Both are significantly more dynamic than Mayer - in creating separation and with the ball in their hands. The athleticism also matters off of play action, where the LB's have to catch up to the TE. It'll be a lot more difficult for those LB's to catch up with Kraft and LaPorta than Mayer.

Would you pay the price?

Thoughts?

It’s telling that we are having the convo about a TE it suggests we have turned the corner when it comes to the big need positions

That said I wouldn’t reach and let the draft fall to us

Mayer is a good prospect, but there are too many good tight ends in this draft. You don't need to move up. Plus, while Miami's offense could use a decent tight end, it's not going to be the focal point. The offense could click just as well with a Tucker Kraft as it would with Mayer. And it might click just as well with another lesser prospect as it would with Kraft. For example the offense might be fine with signing Drew Sample to a cheap free agent deal and drafting Brayden Willis in the later rounds. Smyth, Saubert, Sample and Willis isn't sexy, but it could be good enough to get the job done in Miami.

It’s telling that we are having the convo about a TE it suggests we have turned the corner when it comes to the big need positions

That said I wouldn’t reach and let the draft fall to us
I don't think Mayer the player would be a reach in the top of R2.

Maybe the position could be considered a reach if you think think the next wave of guys is just as good, or just as good a fit.

I would be happy with LaPorta, or Kraft or Washington for that matter, I just think Mayer is the best fit for Miami.

He's a more polished Mark Andrews, who I would absolutely love for this offense.

I am offering my 2024 first rounder to anyone who gives me a chance to draft him at the top of the 2nd round.

I want easy first downs for my QB. I want a guy with great hands and nimble WResque footwook. I want not only a willing blocker but someone who takes pride in doing that part of the job.

Michael Mayer is a home run for this offense, at this particular time in history. You can like all the later round prospects you want I love the guy who's been atop this draft board for 2 years.

Last edited:
Which test exactly negates all his production in your opinion?

32.5" vertical with 4.7 40 at slightly undersized 249 lbs. I would want more explosive, faster, bigger TE. Or at that size more explosive and faster TE.

I would not trade up for Mayer. I like his reliability as a receiver and blocker, but I think his average athleticism is apparent on the field, and he's not dynamic after the catch.

I think Kraft is the best Y option for Miami, and LaPorta is the best move option. Both are significantly more dynamic than Mayer - in creating separation and with the ball in their hands. The athleticism also matters off of play action, where the LB's have to catch up to the TE. It'll be a lot more difficult for those LB's to catch up with Kraft and LaPorta than Mayer.

I hope its Kraft at 51 or Durham (Purdue) in the 6th.

32.5" vertical with 4.7 40 at slightly undersized 249 lbs. I would want more explosive, faster, bigger TE. Or at that size more explosive and faster TE.

I'll take a record setting TE with near identical speed to the greatest TE in NFL history.

You can keep looking for your unicorn.

I'd rather pick OL, iDL or even Gibbs at #51 than Mayer if he were to fall that far. If he's there at #51 and the top few OTs are all gone, Gibbs is gone and we don't like the iDL left either then I would pick best available TE. If Mayer were there that would probably be him. I would pick Washington before him. Kincaid reminds me too much of Gesicki. Musgrave reeks of a bust. I'm not sure I would spend #51 on Laporta/Kraft/Schoonmaker because I would still be happy with any of them at #84.

Back
Top Bottom