How long can Miami keep this team core together? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How long can Miami keep this team core together?

I'm no expert on the cap...but

Originally posted by minus
The phins have to win it all in the next two seasons...Salary cap comes into play some time or another and you just can't keep together for so long...I really don't know too much about the cap but looking ahead in two years most of our core players will be reaching 30+ age...There is urgency by the Management to win it all in next two years....I just hope salary cap issues don't affect this team down the road...

I really don't see this team in danger of being "Broken up" in two years. I think Wanny-Spiel have done a fantastic job of organizing our team both in the present and future.

I think if we cosistantly win with Fiedler in the next 2 years we will keep him. Yeah right now we think 5 million a year is a lot of money, but 3-4 years ago everyone would have thought 2.5-3 million a year was a lot of money. The contract works out with the future it's really not that bad, compared to the 7-8 million a year the Jags are paying Brunell and the Pats were going to pay Bledsoe.

I just want to add that we have almost no idea of what the salary cap is going to be 2-4 years from now, and onward (It might just go right through the roof...Anything's possible, I guess).

I know we're good for this year, and next...After that is a bit of an unknown, though...

My biggest concern for this team in 2-3 years is who will play DT, and keeping our corners. Since we never have the chance to pick in the top 10 of the draft it will hard to find a super star replacement for DG and Bowens. I think they will be the first to go when or if Miami gets in to trouble with cap. The other concern is Sam and Pat keep reworking their contracts, deferring $ to later dates, so eventually this will catch up with us. I don't ever see Miami haveing to dump players like Jacksonville and Baltimore, but we will probably lose a few of our favorites in the next few years.

Not to worry

I think the Phins front office has done an incredible job of managing the cap. Since Shula's swan song (Eric Green, et al), they've been conservative about going after big free agents, while being dilligent about locking up our key guys to long-term deals.

As I see it, there are about 12 guys who are cornerstones (Zach, Taylor, DG, Madison, Surtain, Marion, Chambers, Wade, McKinney, Fiedler, RW, Mare) and the rest can be replaced with backups, draft picks or low-priced FAs.

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Dajesus
My biggest concern for this team in 2-3 years is who will play DT, and keeping our corners. Since we never have the chance to pick in the top 10 of the draft it will hard to find a super star replacement for DG and Bowens..

Well, we did get DG and Bowens in their respective draft with a relatively high pick (Both in the 13-20 range, I believe). You can get superstar players from a draft without a top 10 pick, that's quite clear. I think we'll be fine. I trust the front office.

I hate when people say "We need a bad season so we have a top pick." You don't need a top pick to get a good player, and it's quite obvious A LOT of top picks bust out. The last thing any team needs is "a bad season" (i.e., 6-10 or less)

Back
Top Bottom